How do they not die - Haulover Inlet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With standing waves where you have to go through them, the goal is to find a speed and trim angle where you can push through / over them without stuffing the bow but also without launching the boat in the air.

Now if someone would only make a video as to how to do this, I'd love it.

A video is a tough one, as the technique and speed will vary between boats. In general, it's usually going to be a matter of trim tabs up (unless the bow is getting excessively high), 1 hand on the wheel, one hand on the throttle(s) and feel your way through it. If the bow is buoyant enough and rises readily, you can accept the severe pitching and just crawl through, provided you have adequate steering and don't stuff the bow into the next wave as you come down one.

Technique will be different on a slow boat vs a well powered planing hull (where you'll always have the ability to increase speed). Hull shape is a big factor too. More freeboard up forward and a well flared hull will make it harder to bury the bow, so you don't have to get it up as high. A hull with more deadrise will typically be able to go through faster before starting to pound or slam on the waves. And the higher deadrise hull will also be less likely to ride badly from the bow getting too high.

And in steep, stacked up waves in an inlet, there will always come a point where conditions are bad enough that you just shouldn't try as there's not enough margin for error. That point will be different depending on the boat, but there's always a limit.

The issue with Oregon Inlet is that the channel changes constantly, and is not a straight line. People that have run it 100's of times still run aground or worse. So rule number one is avoid the ebb and/or strong winds, and have up to date local knowledge (Tow Boat US and the USCG are helpful there, as is the Carolinas forum on THT. The USACE does detailed surveys frequently, but a two week old survey can be obsoleted.

I've piloted into it twice and out once in good conditions and had to be on my toes because the markers were not quite right; the USCG constantly has to reposition them. You can usually find someone local at Pirates Cove or the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center to follow, just make sure they have been through very recently. There is a good community there of people trying to look out for each other.

Caltex,

And how far out is the bar? Because (I go down there often to surf fish and rot on the beach) when driving over Bonner, somedays the water appears smooth all the way out and the inlet looks completely tame. But I can go on YouTube and see guys punching through some pretty big waves. I saw one pic from a plane that made the bar appear to be a half-mile or more east of Bonner. A few years ago a bunch of friends ran down there from VB and had to spend the night offshore because the inlet was too unsafe to run. Apparently, the USCG had a boat sitting just outside and they were continuously broadcasting the conditions and no one was running it. Does that sound accurate?

rsn48 and rslifkin,

That's pretty much exactly what I figured and how I try to run my boat when I do encounter snot. But that speed is anyone guess. Sometimes in the Haulover vids guys do just great for a while then one wave just kills them. So, the speed was exactly right until it was exactly wrong. And I gather there is no danger of hitting the bottom in Haulover from the size of some of the boats, whereas in Oregon Inlet I hear guys bottom out all the time.

Last edited:
rslifkin,

That's pretty much exactly what I figured and how I try to run my boat when I do encounter snot. But that speed is anyone guess. Sometimes in the Haulover vids guys do just great for a while then one wave just kills them. So, the speed was exactly right until it was exactly wrong. And I gather there is no danger of hitting the bottom in Haulover from the size of some of the boats, whereas in Oregon Inlet I hear guys bottom out all the time.

That's pretty common in any rough conditions. There's always that one wave that's just bigger, or a little off on its timing or something. But getting kicked by one wave and then back in the rhythm isn't so bad. It's the flying off waves constantly, pounding into waves, burying the bow frequently kind of stuff that's asking for trouble or broken boats.

I'd rather stuff the bow and take on some water at a slow speed than crash through them like a maniac. Some of those guys seem to think that skipping across the tops at WOT is the way to go. Not me.

Number 1, If I'm going somewhat slow, I probably won't break my boat or any of its associated fittings and equipment when I hit the waves.

Number 2, I probably will do less damage to my already bad back and others on board.

Number 3, IF I am going slowly (and eat a wave and take on water) when I shove the throttles forward I know the bow is going to come up, and all that water I took on will rush aft to the scuppers. Not to mention that the bow is unlikely to catch the next wave if pitched up.

As mentioned, I am fortunate to use an inlet that's typically a millpond. The only time I deal with really snotty conditions is when they blow up and I'm already out. I'm also pretty lucky with my new ride. It has a ton of DR at the bow and eats waves fairly well.

I spent over a decade racing catamaran sailboats and windsurfing as a young man. We lived for the conditions that brought out the small craft warnings. If it wasn't blowing, we weren't going. We went out in some insane conditions. I'm not afraid of rough water, just old enough to try and avoid it now.

Great discussion. Thanks for the info.

Better have good bilge pumps and a better chiropractor.

On my first boat 16' run about, a big sport fisher blasted by me so I took the wake head on and buried it. We had a 1' of water or more throughout the boat. Thankfully the scuppers and bilge worked wonders. Made for a good laugh and lesson learned. Of course my daughter was not pleased as she got soaked and along with every towel. :lol:

And yes Sunday late afternoon at the boat ramp is great entertainment.

Appropriately named:

Attachments

• RE.jpg
    RE.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 43
Caltex,

And how far out is the bar? Because (I go down there often to surf fish and rot on the beach) when driving over Bonner, somedays the water appears smooth all the way out and the inlet looks completely tame. But I can go on YouTube and see guys punching through some pretty big waves. I saw one pic from a plane that made the bar appear to be a half-mile or more east of Bonner. A few years ago a bunch of friends ran down there from VB and had to spend the night offshore because the inlet was too unsafe to run. Apparently, the USCG had a boat sitting just outside and they were continuously broadcasting the conditions and no one was running it. Does that sound accurate?

Jeff, that's one of the issues, the bar changes a lot too. Usually somewhere in the 1/2 mile to 1 mile range depending on how you define it, IIRC.

Oregon, like a few NC inlets is not an old inlet; it was created by a hurricane in 1846 and is still greatly affected by storms. As a result it is a real money pit to maintain.

The Gold Coast has a very special breed of boaties, making some of these look quite civilized (on par with Florida so I've been told). Worse still, today is Australia Day, where the worst of the worst come out in droves to play chicken with swimmers and jet skiers, and to see if their ambition is anywhere near their ability (which it mostly isn't), all washed down with copious amounts of alcohol.

We have our "special" events here in South Florida as well. There's the 4th of July, our Independence day where you take all the crazy you see on a busy weekend...and do it at night to watch fireworks.

One of my favorites, perhaps unique to South Florida is our Columbus Day Regatta. Started as a sailboat race 50 years ago, it has evolved into a drunken evening of debauchery as hundreds if not thousands of boats descend on an anchorage 20 miles South of Miami to spend a very drunken evening on the hook. With a nod to the title of this thread, it is not unusual for there to be a death involved.

And then there is the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" event at Fiddlers Cay in Abaco's Bahamas. Similar in some ways to Columbus Day, as this party coincides with Abaco Race Week, with the exception that this party is on a beach and the surrounding flats and not an anchorage. Taking Party responsibility seriously, this event is typically sponsored by a Rum and Beer distiller, with copious quantities of cheeseburgers and drink.

This "Party" was started by the owner and crew of the fine vessel Stranded Naked, which makes the crossing from West Palm Beach for the event. Yes, they cross the Gulfstream in that.

I have "observed" these events carefully "studying" their evolution

:socool:

The Gold Coast has a very special breed of boaties, making some of these look quite civilized (on par with Florida so I've been told). Worse still, today is Australia Day,

Attachments

• stranded naked.jpg
    stranded naked.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 17
Those huge crowds of drunk people look terrible to me. Not my idea of fun.

I’d much rather be at anchor as far away from other boats as possible.

Those huge crowds of drunk people look terrible to me. Not my idea of fun.

I’d much rather be at anchor as far away from other boats as possible.

It's every bit as bad as you could imagine. We learned quickly to avoid being anywhere inshore in FL on weekends and holidays, especially in season.

That anchorage off Elliot Key, where the Columbus day party takes place, is one of our favorite spots otherwise; plenty of room to be as isolated as you like. We liked dinghy-ing into to Elliot to hike around, or over to Boca Chica to show visiting friends around there, avoiding taking the big boat into the crowded little harbor.

Up here we have Aquapalooza 3 days of drunk with hundreds of boats. Everyone rafts up without sufficient anchor and the fun ensues. I love it as I go elsewhere and no one is around. :thumb:

There was a spot no too far from me, you could anchor and raft up..... If your boat has a stateroom, you are expected to share it with those who do not have a stateroom, for close encounters. WINK WINK
When I was told about it, I told the woman, 'If anyone is going to get naked with a woman in my bed, it would be me.' That discouraged her LOL

It's every bit as bad as you could imagine. We learned quickly to avoid being anywhere inshore in FL on weekends and holidays, especially in season.

That anchorage off Elliot Key, where the Columbus day party takes place, is one of our favorite spots otherwise; plenty of room to be as isolated as you like. We liked dinghy-ing into to Elliot to hike around, or over to Boca Chica to show visiting friends around there, avoiding taking the big boat into the crowded little harbor.

That takes place in Biscayne National Park, does it not? :nonono:

Imagine the fun videos, if all you had to do to try and fly, was to buy an airplane! :D

Having worked for an airplane dealer who used to throw 20 hours of free instruction into the deal (and then saddled me, instructor at the time, with the idiot) I can tell you it's a LITTLE better but the NTSB files are full of morons with more money than sense.

Those videos all look perfectly horrible (Australia Day scenario looks quiet and somewhat civilised in comparison). One of the reasons I like getting out on the water is to appreciate the sights and sounds of nature, and get away from humanity as much as possible.

Crazy, very entertaining to watch :thumb:......but the masks, some are actually wearing masks :lol:

I hear the same discouraging things about the Stuart cut. I have been in and out of Stuart and Haulover. I did not have any trouble. What you are seeing on the Haulover videos is perhaps the "worse" examples.

I hear the same discouraging things about the Stuart cut. I have been in and out of Stuart and Haulover. I did not have any trouble. What you are seeing on the Haulover videos is perhaps the "worse" examples.

You mean St. Lucie inlet? That can be a little twisty but is perfectly fine. No bridge either. The only issues I recall were occasional shoaling near the inshore intersections. Just about any inlet can get dicey on the ebb with opposing wind. The only marked Florida inlet I intentionally avoided was Jupiter, and I never had cause to go into San Sebastian.

Back
Top Bottom