Guest drinking underway - what's your rule?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it was good for the British Navy for 120 years. The daily "tot of rum"

The rum ration, or "tot", from 1850 to 1970 consisted of one-eighth of an imperial pint (71 ml) of rum at 95.5 proof (54.6% ABV), given out at midday.

Almost 2.5 ounces of pretty stiff stuff!

I'm not much for drinking underway, too much fun already enjoying the ride. But when she's docked up and the engines are off...

Yeah, I'll have a tot or two - :)

Some more historical perspective concerning beer...

https://blog.library.si.edu/blog/2017/08/02/beer-board-age-sail/

A guy that used to be two slips down from me was coming down the dock with 2-30 packs and a 24 pack for his double overnight tuna trip. I said damn Al that’s a lot of beer for your crew. He said the 24 pack was for the crew and the bottom two cases were for him!!! We’ll good luck anyway.

Is that like being "two slips to the wind"?:whistling:

Why is there a historical relationship between boating and drinking?

Most boat (may I include sailboat on this topic?) manufacturers have 'bars' , 'wet bars', 'beer/cocktail fridges', etc....its a selling point.

In general, motorhomes don't have that. Camping trailers, 5th wheel's don't have a 'bar'. I point those out as they are recreational vehicles like boat. (maybe some do, but not like boat manufacturers)

Here in Manitoba boat drinking rules are the same as cars. Caught drinking and driving there are significant fines and restrictions on your drivers licence. It's very strict.

This is not directed to the individual, but the selling points of the manufacturer.

What's the big picture?
Good valid point.

I see that a few RV manufacturers offer "outside kitchens" with fridges that are really only good drinks and snack. Often right next to them is a LARGE entertainment center.

Other RV have installed beer/wine coolers.

Not sure it's just boating.... tailgating at sports events and oh the stories from "hunting" cabins.

For some, beer and wine are "food" and usually consumed with a meal. Beer with a sandwich, glass of wine with dinner.... maybe one, the other or occasionally something else with snack at happy hour. But in between? Rarely.

After 35 years of 2 careers that either severely limited drinking or eliminated it for months at a time.... some foods to me won't be enjoyed without a drink. Like pizza... after all that time at sea in the USCG, I swore I would never eat pizza again without a beer. Thankfully I rarely eat pizza. :D

Beer especially weak beer was a way to keep water potable. As was ale, mead, wine etc. water in the scuttlebutt was usually quite foul after a bit of cruising. The above link is an excellent history. Even on land children were often served watered wine if the household could afford it. Intoxication wasn’t not the goal.
Life in the British navy was horrid for all except the officers. Alcohol was necessary to prevent mutiny. Although the major drivers of Spithead and Nore were due to other aspects of hardships of life on board rum portions and timing were involved as well.
Of interest many of the New England whaler captains kept “dry” ships. Unlike the British navy from its inception the rigid rum rule was not applied in the USN. Intoxication while on duty was punished severely however. The USN captains, letters of mark and privateers came from non nobility and early on mostly learned their skills in commerce. Rules from a central authority (the British Admiralty) in response to keeping “the people” under control wasn’t the model so our approach to alcohol was different.

Last edited:
Beer especially weak beer was a way to keep water potable.
An interesting way to put it. Not sure if anything changed the US brew was very weak in terms of alcohol content, and it was easy to see a case being drunk in an afternoon, cans crushed to forehead. So I heard.

Excellent link learned some things. Thanks HT. I enjoy pre and immediately post and revolutionary naval history. My prior post was with that period of time in mind.

Yeah, I have a bar in my saloon, built right in, custom piece of Teak with plexi glass holders to not break the crystal eh?

Of course you are supposed to drink on your boat. Don't they all have a "saloon"?

Yeah, drinking is now frowned upon along with smoking, eating red meat, fried foods, sugar, lack of exercise, social contacts and even going for a boat ride.

CO2 causes global warming. I now feel guilty everytime I start the engines.

But hey, a couple of "tots" in the slip after I get hooked up and I'm feeling good and not guilty eh - :)

Back
Top Bottom