Old 03-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Got the Raft, Now What?

Thanks to all who made input to the Raft v. Suit conversation. I opted for a 6-person Viking Coastal and now I'm on to the next step, building my "Bailout Bag". Having flown for 50 years, including 20 years in Alaska, where a long list of survival stuff is required by statute, I've dragged out my old "bailout bag" as a starting place and this is turning into kind of a fun exercise, in part because I forgot what was in there. Obviously, a lot of it is oriented to longterm survival in the woods and my requirements are likely to be different.

But a couple questions have arisen along the lines of "Should I really keep this?" Some is obvious, some not so much so feel free to weigh in:

In addition to the 20# dry bag, we wore Stearns inflatable aviator vests, because: "The stuff in the baggage compartment is camping equipment; you are going to survive with what's in your pockets." Should I keep the vests? I have 8 other approved floatation devices on a 5-place boat. 9 if you count the dog's jacket.

I have 50,000 calories of lifeboat bisquit. All seriously out-of-date, but does that crap ever really age? How would you know if it weren't printed on the foil wrap?

I have a dozen seriously outdated mini-flares from the vests. Keep? Toss?

I have four "Solas Compliant Thermal Protective Aids" look like very heavy space-blanket gumby suits. Anyone have experience with these?

Six X Ten foot gill net <?>

I have a 406 MHz PLB which will get a new battery and registration, but I've also got a 121.5 mini-elt. Keep it too?

Knives & stones, Folding saw, folding hatchet <?>

Let me know what you think.

'Prof
Attached Thumbnails
stearns.jpg   acr plb.jpg  
Attached Images

AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
The gill nets makes great foundations for tents.
If you find your self in a survival situation then survival gear is always good to have
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
ACR makes a nice, inexpensive, water activated LED strobe. My PFD has the ACR PLB, strobe, and a whistle. They are all tied to, and stored neatly in the PFD. I place a high priority on getting someone's attention.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #4

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
ACR makes a nice, inexpensive, water activated LED strobe. My PFD has the ACR PLB, strobe, and a whistle. They are all tied to, and stored neatly in the PFD. I place a high priority on getting someone's attention.

Ted
Mine too. Also a few flares and an Ocean Signal MOB1 AIS MOB device.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:12 AM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Reminds me to check the expiration date of flares on board.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I just bought one of the Weems & Plath 'electronic flares" that floats or is handheld and flashed SOS brightly. I am keeping my expired flares as I understand they usually last for years. It seems bright, I'm not sure if it will catch the eye as well as a launched flare but I'll have those too. The batteries (3 C cells) must be installed for the CG to count the device in place of flares.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
What type of pfd do you have? We have inflatable ones from West Marine and we were trying to decide the best way to attach our PLB’s to them. The PLB’s have that velcro strap on them, but that doesn’t seem all that secure.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #8
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I just bought one of the Weems & Plath 'electronic flares" that floats or is handheld and flashed SOS brightly. I am keeping my expired flares as I understand they usually last for years. It seems bright, I'm not sure if it will catch the eye as well as a launched flare but I'll have those too. The batteries (3 C cells) must be installed for the CG to count the device in place of flares.
We have one of those too in addition to flares.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We use a small lanyard about 36” long to attach PLBs to PFD. You want it to be long enough so you can bring the PLB up and activate it.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
What type of pfd do you have? We have inflatable ones from West Marine and we were trying to decide the best way to attach our PLB’s to them. The PLB’s have that velcro strap on them, but that doesn’t seem all that secure.
Mine is from Tiffanys (West Marine), it came with the boat. The strobe came with a bracket that attaches to the oral inflation tube and also holds the whistle. I use a piece of braided nylon to secure the PLB to the vest. It is wrapped around the unit twice. I can easily slip off the loop and then it acts as a lanyard to keep the PLB attached to me with enough line to hold it in front of me to activate it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180318_151510.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	74300

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180318_151529.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	74301

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
I've got the raft...now what..?
Well, 'sobvious. Now you find your Hucklberry Finn, and go rafting...

Oh, you mean that kinda raft..?
Old 04-01-2018, 01:12 AM   #12
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Regarding flares, the outdated mini flares should be disposed of properly. They could possibly misfire and do damage to your new raft (or do nothing).

I don't know what your local regs are but in open water, we are required to carry a minimum of 2 hand held red flares, 2 hand held smoke flares and 2 distress rocket flares with parachutes. The latter can be seen for 40 km (about 25 miles) at night. They are a cost effective tool for increasing the likelihood of being found quickly.
I'd suggest equipment that will help you to be found is more important that equipment for long term survival in the bush.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:15 AM   #13

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
U
Name:  498AC8EE-E615-479A-887F-8D255201BF6E.jpeg
Views: 185
Size:  19.4 KB

I just bought two of these Mustang hydrostatic pdfs. They have a zipped pocket on the left side that fits a PLB perfectly. I clip a waterproof floating vhf on when on deck in adverse conditions or at night. Manuel pfds require you to be conscious, typical automatic can inflate when splashed. Hydrostatic release due to water pressure so you have to be in the water for release. You don’t want a release inside a sinking boat, can’t get out.
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote