Old 10-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: FORT LAUDERDALE,FL
Vessel Name: ARIE
Vessel Model: 2000 43ft SELENE/SOLO
Florida Gulf Coast ICW

I have seen almost no information posted regarding the conditions post Michael. Since I will need to transit this area to complete my "Loop" trip about late November, I am interested in some real time reports. The only information I am able to access is the Waterway Guides site that states that the GICW is closed from mile 293 east.
I am well aware that the area took a tremendous beating from the storm, and that some facilities have bee shut down due to damage, but som "boots on the ground" observations would be welcome for planning purposes.
MERIDIAN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I live in Wakulla, just east of the most heavily damaged areas. I was in Carrabelle yesterday and have reliable reports on Apalachicola.

Carrabelle will be up and running by November, in fact, I think C-Quarters and the Moorings are both already open. Damage in Apalach was bad in some areas, but better than expected in others, I think the marinas there will be fine.

I haven't heard as much about Port St. Joe, but I know it got hit a lot worse. The marina there may have taken a ton of damage. I have a retail account there and have not been able to reach them since the storm.

I don't have any real info on PC, both of my retailers there are closed and don't expect to open for a while.

Downed trees in the channel on the inland section of the ICW may be a real issue as well. It may be safer to go outside from Destin to Apalach and skip PC.

Best of luck to you, and please do anything you can to help the people in this area. It was a bad hit.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I only have anecdotal info from several boaters and contractors working the recovery. Its going to be rough over there in the Mex Bch and St. J area for a good while. Based on my post K experience, at this point everyone over there is likely pretty much putting one foot in front of the other and dealing with their very local concerns. I wouldn't count on anything in your time frame in the area without reliable on the ground info.

As to the ICW in that stretch, I think the above advice is well founded. The magnitude of stuff in the water (not just trees - freezers, reefers, house parts, etc) will probably be a hazard for some time to come. Doug's suggestion to stay outside IMHO is well founded.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
The Gulf ICW at mile 293 EHL is closed the last I saw.

Pirates Cove just got a crane in. It seems all the Panama City, Port St. Joe and Apalachicola marinas have major damage and that's the ones that can even be reached.

Waterway Guide gives a good indication of conditions. https://www.waterwayguide.com/hurricane-status-updates

For at least the next month I'd not depend on any marinas in the area being open and I wouldn't try navigating there until I could get reports things were good as I don't think any work needed has started. If I was close to making a trip through, I'd call the Tow Boat services and ask. If I had the ability I'd go outside and around.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote