Flares disposal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joew2604

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Peterpan 111
Vessel Make
Gulfstar
I have just renewed my flares and find that I have a lot of old expired flares and aerial shells. I need to get rid of them but so far have had no luck. West marine says they will sell them but neither they, the CoastGuard or Fire Dept will take them. DO NOT Dispose IN THE OCEAN, or on land. Seems to be a problem. How do others get rid of the old one? I'm keeping some as spares but still have some real old ones. Any advise ??:ermm:

I have just renewed my flares and find that I have a lot of old expired flares and aerial shells. I need to get rid of them but so far have had no luck. West marine says they will sell them but neither they, the CoastGuard or Fire Dept will take them. DO NOT Dispose IN THE OCEAN, or on land. Seems to be a problem. How do others get rid of the old one? I'm keeping some as spares but still have some real old ones. Any advise ??:ermm:
I had the same issue and went to the firefighters to know what to do with them. They directed me to the nearest recycling center where they get dangerous goods (one block away) and they took them. I am in Canada so may be different where you are.

L

The Coast Guard in Racine WI took mine last year but first suggested I keep some as spares.

Flares are the eadiest... find a frequent camper - they make great fire starters.
Hold a training session at your marina. Notify local officials & USCG of time & place.
Great time to a lso do fire extinguisher training.
You might ask a local Power Squadron USCG Aux or Fire Dept to assist.

Our local West Marine takes them (Bellingham, WA) Thought that was a company policy. They have a haz mat company that comes and gets them on a schedule.

My West Marine and Coast Guard wont touch them! I'll keep trying

The CG used to take them in some locations before 911. After 911 most stopped taking them because of the explosive possibility. Some fire departments take them, but the best bet is to find a haz mat desposal site. Makes a good reason to buy an electronic flare.

Last 4th of July some @$$**** decided to dispose of his parachute flares by firing them off in the VERY crowded anchorage. Tons of angry people and a shouting match, but neither USCG nor LEOs did anything. I can't recommend the approach.

If you belong to a yacht club or boat club you can gather expired flares and hold a "Flare Demo Day". I've done that twice for my club. We invite members and the public to bring their expired flares and fire them off so they can see how to do it and what happens when you set it off.

Notify:
-USCG
-Local Emergency Dispatch System
-Police and Sheriffs Departments
-Fire Departments and ask then to have an ambulance on standby in case of accident.
-Local yacht clubs and boat clubs and marinas to post ads about your event.

Just found out that my Marine Patrol will take my used flares. I'll try that....... Thanks for your responses.

If you belong to a yacht club or boat club you can gather expired flares and hold a "Flare Demo Day". I've done that twice for my club. We invite members and the public to bring their expired flares and fire them off so they can see how to do it and what happens when you set it off.

Notify:
-USCG
-Local Emergency Dispatch System
-Police and Sheriffs Departments
-Fire Departments and ask then to have an ambulance on standby in case of accident.
-Local yacht clubs and boat clubs and marinas to post ads about your event.

We also do this. Great time for the Admirals to get comfortable with using them.

Yup. That is where I last got rid of years worth of expires flares. Our yacht club did the same.

Don't shoot them off in your neighborhood. Did that when I was around 13 years old and almost caught my neighbors house on fire. It seemed like a bad idea at the time, and it was.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom