Fixed Fire Extinguisher for Engine Room?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fire Extinguishing Ball

Anyone ever tried on of these?

Thanks to all who has offered advice on this topic, especially Steve D for the great educational videos.

Here is my question: I believe that our 2012 Beneteau Swift 44 complies with ABYC standards, but maybe I’m wrong.

We do have 2 fixed fire extinguishers in the ER, with pull cables and temp triggers, but I do not believe that they are equipped with the relays to shut down the engines and exhaust fans. Steve indicated that ABYC standards would make this a requirement. Either, 1) she doesn’t really comply, 2) she actually does have the relays (which I doubt),or 3) the standards have changed.

Thanks for your take on this!

Thanks to all who has offered advice on this topic, especially Steve D for the great educational videos.

Here is my question: I believe that our 2012 Beneteau Swift 44 complies with ABYC standards, but maybe I’m wrong.

We do have 2 fixed fire extinguishers in the ER, with pull cables and temp triggers, but I do not believe that they are equipped with the relays to shut down the engines and exhaust fans. Steve indicated that ABYC standards would make this a requirement. Either, 1) she doesn’t really comply, 2) she actually does have the relays (which I doubt),or 3) the standards have changed.

Thanks for your take on this!

There should be a pressure switch on the tank head with a wiring plug if it's set up for auto shutdown. To test, just pull off the plug and the engine(s), generator, and fans should shut down. And in the pilot house there should be a control panel with an over ride switch to re-enable the engine(s) so you can get things running again once any fire it out.

Peter beat me to it, it's a valid test for every vessel equipped with a fixed system and auto-shut down.

Worth noting, it is not allowed to use two bottles to cover a single area unless either tank can flood the entire space, or they are designed to discharge simultaneously. The bottles will have tags on them that include the cubic footage coverage area.

There should be a pressure switch on the tank head with a wiring plug if it's set up for auto shutdown. To test, just pull off the plug and the engine(s), generator, and fans should shut down. And in the pilot house there should be a control panel with an over ride switch to re-enable the engine(s) so you can get things running again once any fire it out.

I do not think there are switches or plugs but I’ll double check. I’m certain there is no control panel.
By the way, a cautionary tip I received at the 2012 Trawlerfest, which Steve D mentioned in his video, both tanks had pins still installed, which I removed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom