Fast Flow Pumps (shaft mounted)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering most boats sink at the dock, a monitored high water alarm system would be the best way to spend your money.

Considering most boats sink at the dock, a monitored high water alarm system would be the best way to spend your money.

One of many realistic suggestions.

My experience with sinkers are 2 types.

One where a hose, seacock, thru hull, or fitting fails and the bilge pumps that do work or maybe not, the water ingess seems a lot.... but really isnt.

Most people just recognized the huge amount of water a little late..... they just dont seem to feel the boat getting sluggish.

The other kind is from some kind of hull breach where 10,000 gph total in pumps still isn't going to save you unless you slow the water ingress.

So my philosophy is like falling overboard......the best thing you can do is don't go over in the first place. So in the same light.....leaks that CAN be avoided should be by a variety of maintenance and vigilance techniques. Then have basic damage control ideas.

The minor leaks will only sink you if you do little or nothing. The major ones are only beat by a squared away crew.

So as Capt Bill suggests.....the leaks you have no control over at all are the ones you are not aboard for. That's why they are the most common.

If you think about that yacht Serena III that left Ft Lauderdale a year or so ago and took on lots of water before they "knew" it, probably would have survived if they had Fast Flow pumps. Not knowing how much water was coming in, or any of the details, it is an arm chair quarterback guess on my part. I know there are times where nothing you can do will change the outcome.

In their case though, why they didn't know about the water before stuff was afloat is incredible. No water alarm, high water alarm, and decent bilge pumps...

Last edited:
I wonder if it could be mounted to the pto????

Gordon

There is a version of the pump attached to a hydraulic pump, that would solve most of the mentioned problems associated with running the drivertrain.

My solution is a CPP - I engage the gearbox, set the pitch to neutral or what ever is required, then use max RPM - this should work except if there is propeller damage.

I have always liked the idea of these pumps. Sailboaters like them because they aren't that difficult an install in many cruising sailboats and the sailboat engines typically run at a relatively high rpm.

The idea is that they could keep you afloat long enough to slow the ingress of water and get yourself to location where you can shut the engine down without sinking such as a beach or a marina with some emergency pumps.

I've been aware of these pumps for many years and I like them. It's a cheap way to move a huge amount of water. The fact that the engine needs to be in gear for it to work limits the situations where you could use it.

Here is a link to the manufacturers FAQ page: Fast Flow Pumps - Bilge Pump FAQ

And a way to add 2 belts at least.

I've got that covered. BTW, considering the HP requirement, serpentine is the way to go. Here is my double pulley off the crank setup to drive my big 2nd alternator.

DSCN1025.jpg

DSCN1026.jpg

DSCN1027.jpg

DSCN1028.jpg

DSCN1030.jpg

DSCN1036.jpg

Ted

someone knows how much air is transferred to the pump shaft and at what pressure?

Is it enough engine still enough air, a number of holes in the boat design is not much extra, what the engine needs to function performance.

I'm guessing not much at all - I'm thinking this is used more as a promotion, but not sure....
The best use of this pump is not on the propeller shaft due to the low RPM, best use is a direct drive on the front end of the engine or hydraulic.

Back
Top Bottom