Emergency boarding ladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not a Mainship expert but it appears your swim step is based on a hull extension? If so, how deep is it at rest? Perhaps you mount a step permanently just above the bottom of the boat on the 'transom' of the step. That coupled with a grab handle on the top of the step might allow emergency boarding. All you've got to do is get some purchase with a foot and a handle to grab.

Yes, it’s essentially a hull extension. Not a bad idea. I’m already a slow boat, can’t see something like that adding much drag.

Soooo... Miz - You have both boats still?? Jus wonderen!! - Art

Hey Art:

Yes, but it appears we have a likely buyer for the big boat now. Since we lowered the price, potential buyers are coming out of the woodwork.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

I was also concerned about getting back on to boat after falling in. We also have a boarding ladder that is blocked by tender. After looking at everything available we settled on the Plastimo Safety Ladder in a bag. It mounts on the stern clear by dropping a loop of line over the cleat. We have a second length of line engine just short of the water that is attached to bottom step. This allows the person in the water to deploy when needed without additional help. It's not pretty but nothing else seemed easier to use in time of need.

Pretty comes in second to safety so if it works IMO it looks good..

Hi,

this topic is difficult to give general advice because people and circumstances are very different. Your own boat has proper stairs integrated into the swim platform and a good handle. The stairs work "just fine" when I go swimming.

I have been wondering if the crabs will no longer work when the clothes are full of water and the sea is not smooth.

It’s good if you think about it, so that’s not a matter of recreation swimming on a beautiful day.

NBs

Rope with knotted foot loops?

Maybe for 20-somethings and younger. And I will reiterate Comodave's earlier allusion to the idea that whatever you have should be permanently rigged, not something you pull out and rig whaenever you MIGHT be alone.

Last edited:
I was also concerned about getting back on to boat after falling in. We also have a boarding ladder that is blocked by tender. After looking at everything available we settled on the Plastimo Safety Ladder in a bag. It mounts on the stern clear by dropping a loop of line over the cleat. We have a second length of line engine just short of the water that is attached to bottom step. This allows the person in the water to deploy when needed without additional help. It's not pretty but nothing else seemed easier to use in time of need.
===============================

googled your reference and found more ideas

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pla...9i57j33i160.1491j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

thanks

PS

do not forget getting back into a dinghy

couple of years ago could not board it back!!!!

Last edited:
I'm happy that so many people are taking this seriously. A few years ago a friend was working on his boat one weekday evening, slipped and fell in the water. Edmonds is just North of Seattle, and he had about 15 minutes before hypothermia would do him in. He shouted for help but there was no one around. Then he realized that the swim step on his 46' Maxxum could not be reached when you're in the water, could only be deployed if you're standing on the swim step. After several minutes of frantic shouting, he untied the stern line from the dock cleat, knotted several loops in it, and managed to drag himself out of the water onto the dock. It was a scary time for him and a great learning lesson for the rest of us.

I'm happy that so many people are taking this seriously. A few years ago a friend was working on his boat one weekday evening, slipped and fell in the water. Edmonds is just North of Seattle, and he had about 15 minutes before hypothermia would do him in. He shouted for help but there was no one around. Then he realized that the swim step on his 46' Maxxum could not be reached when you're in the water, could only be deployed if you're standing on the swim step. After several minutes of frantic shouting, he untied the stern line from the dock cleat, knotted several loops in it, and managed to drag himself out of the water onto the dock. It was a scary time for him and a great learning lesson for the rest of us.

Absolutely never happens when you are expecting it and ready for it to happen. That is why you have to plan and prepare in advance.

MN-

Your swim step and inflatable mount is exactly as mine. So here is my set up. To the Starboard edge of the step I have a mounted folding ladder. It is the model that is rigid standing upright in the out of water position. Directly above this from the overhead aluminum roof awning, I have a knotted 3/4 inch line that is coiled and hanging directly above the ladder position. The last action particularly if there is assistance on board, I drop our inflatable into the water and prepare the 4 part rope hand winch use to raise the inflatable as the tool to assist in pulling the soul out of the water. I have a second suitable shackle located with the overhead knotted line. There is a two loop line prepared and hanging close by to go under the persons shoulders to allow the hook on the line winch to attach.,(Of course, persons outside of the cabin area are required to wear a float coat or vest) I can assure you that it takes two persons or one really strong person to physically pull a soul out of the water even with this application.

Given a situation or a plan of action for two- Man overboard, release the ladder and the line and drop it into position, now here I am adding a action if time allows. I have placed onboard one of those suction handles that you see for the shower aiding handicap souls extra holding aids.
I place that on the side of the boat near the ladder. This allows the person in the water a grip. I have been in the water, removing line from the wheel and can tell you this- climbing on these ladders that extend into the water with a poor hand hold to pull yourself out is near impossible if you are anywhere near exhausted. You tend to drift under the step with the pressure of your climbing up with no or poor hand holds. or firm side of the boat for the ladder to rest against.

Having this portable handhold, (Yes I can anticipate the neigh Sayers will comment on the fear of the hand hold coming off as it is only a suction fix.
I can assure you that when secured it will be of comfort to have it available so discount the concern. Look at it as "Any Port in a Storm" addition.

As my boat has very narrow side decks requiring one to hold on to hand holds and hand rails,as i move forward,prior to anchoring when I am single handing and a concession to my late wife, the ladder is released, the line is released and the portable handhold is placed on the side.
I then access the anchor, using the side deck when others are on board, if single handed, I access the anchor area through the escape hatch on the bow deck, avoiding the fear of overboard as a single.

Little bit long here but recovering a overboard soul particularly if there is any body weight or physical difficulties involved is near impossible without aids.

As a alternate, one can tie a line from a midships point and to a aft or bow point allowing enough slack to place the line in the water, this can be used as a foot placement to scoot from one point to that which allows action to complete hoisting the soul out.

Here's a better picture of the dink up and secured.

attachment.php

Last edited:
One more thing. Please practice with your new boarding ladder.

Real practice. Jump overboard and test your new boarding ladder. You may find that it is difficult to deploy, or that you need to add handholds.

When we tested ours, we realized that we needed a handhold. We permanently attached a line between the two padeyes on our stern to use with the boarding ladder.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

One more thing. Please practice with your new boarding ladder.

Real practice. Jump overboard and test your new boarding ladder. You may find that it is difficult to deploy, or that you need to add handholds.

When we tested ours, we realized that we needed a handhold. We permanently attached a line between the two padeyes on our stern to use with the boarding ladder.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Absolutely, and not just boarding ladder practice but all of the safety gear practice. Practice with simulated distress calls, etc.

A very important subject. Means of reboarding, unassisted, by a person who has fallen overboard, is codified in the ABYC Standards.

I wrote an editorial on the subject a few years ago https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/september-2018-newsletter/ complete with embedded video https://vimeo.com/292121566

Which ever route you take, be sure to test it, wearing clothes and shoes, with your eyes closed to simulate darkness.

I recently tested a boarding latter on a 65+ high end yacht. The vessel was ashore and all I succeeded in doing is smashing he living daylights out of my thumb, too heavy, too complex to deploy easily by a person who has fallen overboard into cold, dark water, much less in a seaway.

First, I would like to thank you for posing the original question. Made us think about our setup, which we have not used.
Second, to the person that suggested testing, fully clothed, with eyes closed, makes very good sense.
Now we must look closely at ours.

Thank you all for the replies. Great ideas.

I have a bit before I can get to the boat and do some measuring for options. Will let you all know what I come up with.

Thanks again all!

I've been looking at these. Four steps, so you don't have to lift your foot up above your belly button to get to the first rung. Integral catch rather than a bungee cord or something that would be hard to open with cold wet hands. Since I generally have a dinghy taking up a lot of the swim step, it would need to be mounted so that it extended to the side rather than the back.

Then it occurred to me that in a MOB situation the person might be on the other side of the boat from the ladder. Or, how do I know which side of the boat I'll fall off of when single-handed? For those of you who haven't tried climbing up a ladder fully clothed and soaking wet, try swimming an additional 12 feet fully clothed with an inflated PFD. For an another $80 and and four SS bolts, I'm thinking I should put a ladder port and starboard. No style penalty for two ladders, right?

What about mounting a ladder either on the port or starboard side whichever the bow of the dinghy is on. Then either mount one on the vertical surface of the swim platform or on the top of the platform. I am not a fan of mounting on top of the platform since it will be a trip hazard but if it is under the bow of the dinghy it may not be too bad. The choice place might be the vertical part of the swim platform at the bow end of the dinghy. Think out of the box, there has to be a better solution than a rope ladder. You may be able to use it but what about the wife or kids, if any.

This is what I did. Rope ladder worthless beyond a certain age. A rigid fold-down ladder that won't disappear under the boat when you try to use it, mounted at the dinghy bow end of my swim step gives it room for me to deploy it, even from the water. I still had trouble when I fell into the water in my blue jeans, and couldn't flex my knee enough to get the first foot on the ladder, so I had my partner pass down a rope in which I had to tie a bowline while treading water (she couldn't do it :facepalm:) and had her tie that of to the aft quarter cleat so I could start with a foot in that and then go to the first rung of the fold down (3-rung) ladder. The other thing I didn't appreciate is that I had nothing to grab onto on the stern of my boat, so I bought a water ski handle/w leader that I tie off and dangle through the stern hawse pipe so I have something to grab as I'm trying to hoist my self aboard. I only now feel I can at least self-rescue if I can get to there. I've also bought a Harken 6:1 tackle that can hoist a full man back onto the boat if you have a boom or something else to mount it from. I use it to hoist my Rothskelly/Olsson swim step dinghy davits on a GB 36. If it's me and my girl, I'm a goner cuz she could never rig it as an alternative way to get my unconcious ass aboard. And the ladder is a trip hazard, because it's mounted on top to the swim step, but way better than not having it at all.

I like 4 step ladders so I don’t have to put my foot up to my chin and then try to stand up. Works much better for us older folks.

I like 4 step ladders so I don’t have to put my foot up to my chin and then try to stand up. Works much better for us older folks.

So yeah! I didn't know I had a choice. I could have bought 4-step vs 3-step? Damn! Why wouldn't you do that?

I intended to include this note from a client in my previous post and got distracted...

"Steve specified an Emergency boarding ladder for my 55 which I purchased and installed. Less than 30 days after it was installed a
live aboard boater friend was visiting us in VA in late October. We were going to dinner. It was dark and cold night. Lorraine was below deck and I was away from the boat. Our friend decided to get off the boat from the side door to the dock and something happened. Down he went between the dock and boat. He was severely injured and under the dock with no one even knowing it. He made it to the back of our boat and there was the new emergency ladder. He was able to deploy it and we found him later lying on the swim platform.
Thank you Steve D because most likely you saved his life.
In another situation we were in Nova Scotia with two other vessels and one of their crew came back late at night in a kayak. He fell off the kayak while trying to board the boat ( the kayak floated away) with no emergency ladder. The owner was just lucky enough that he found him in time, exhausted and holding onto the staple with hypothermia and unable to get up on the swim platform. This was a young guy in reasonable shape.
In my younger life I did a stint in the Old Coast Guard as a small boat coxswain doing search and rescue. During that time I picked out of the water several bodies that had fallen overboard and died not being able to get back on their boat.
Steve’s advice is spot on and to be taken very seriously. If you don’t have an Emergency Ladder, please get one. Once you get one, make sure all onboard know it is there and know how to deploy it.

Steve, thank you again for saving a life with this."

It can and does happen; an easily-deployed ladder is literally a life saver.

On a good note... I'll relay a fun MOB story... summer weekend 1962+/-... we'd just anchored in Zacks Bay, South Shore LI, NY:

Over transom of our 38' raised deck beautiful woodie boat [that dad and I brought back to life]... in his mid 40's dad was reaching down to grab the dink's line. Ka-Splash! Three of us watched his butt go over. We had the wooden swim ladder already hanging off the stern [no swim platform]. Well, anyway... dad was up and out of water so fast his underpants only got 1/2 wet and his wallet was barely damp around its edges.

Good laugh was had by all!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom