Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2022, 05:25 PM   #1
Guru
 
rgano's Avatar
 
City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,997
Drunk boating accident?

I gleaned this from the interweb today.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/investiga...200945431.html

One question comes to mind as a read this because I don't drink enough in a month to put in a thimble and thus have no first-hand experience with hangovers etc. Can traces of a good load of alcohol be gone from your body in nine hours to the point that the law can't detect it? Looks like this guy fled and others lied for him for a bit.

I am reminded of a story:

A lawyer friend of mine who was a very high ranking officer in the Army Reserve once got a call from one of his senior enlisted soldiers who had had a single car accident near a liquor store while driving in an intoxicated state. He knew the polce were on the way and wanted to know what to do. Not wanting to lose this otherwise sterling man's service, my friend told him to get into the liquor store, buy, open, and visibly consume some booze before the cops arrived.

Good thing there was not some booze at hand this boater could consume as a ruse to throw off the authorities.
__________________
Rich Gano
FROLIC (2005 MainShip 30 Pilot II)
Panama City area
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:00 PM   #2
TF Site Team
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,624
Before DUI laws eliminated most of the previously available defences, experts were used who would give evidence as to the rate of elimination of alcohol from the blood, per hour before a test. IIRC, a 150# person would eliminate alcohol at the rate of 0.015 mg alcohol per mg of blood per hour, so a reading of 0.0 could still leave the testee with the possibility 9 hours earlier of up to 0.135 mg OH per mg blood. The legal to drive limit is 0.080. Drunk is still a possibility, despite the 0.0 test.
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:09 PM   #3
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,155
I think the rule of thumb is that an average size man can process about 1 drink per hour. So if you had 9 drinks you could be pretty impaired and blow a 0.0 nine hours later

all sorts of variability to individual metabolism, strength of the drink, size of the person etc.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:36 PM   #4
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I gleaned this from the interweb today.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/investiga...200945431.html

One question comes to mind as a read this because I don't drink enough in a month to put in a thimble and thus have no first-hand experience with hangovers etc. Can traces of a good load of alcohol be gone from your body in nine hours to the point that the law can't detect it? Looks like this guy fled and others lied for him for a bit.

I am reminded of a story:

A lawyer friend of mine who was a very high ranking officer in the Army Reserve once got a call from one of his senior enlisted soldiers who had had a single car accident near a liquor store while driving in an intoxicated state. He knew the polce were on the way and wanted to know what to do. Not wanting to lose this otherwise sterling man's service, my friend told him to get into the liquor store, buy, open, and visibly consume some booze before the cops arrived.

Good thing there was not some booze at hand this boater could consume as a ruse to throw off the authorities.
As to your first question, in 9 hours they'll never prove intoxication and if they weren't tracking the person every second, wouldn't know what intervened. Even on the roads, leaving the scene generally carries a smaller penalty than DUI resulting in wreck.

However,, there is plenty of other evidence and there are multiple charges to convict on. The conviction will still be severe.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:09 PM   #5
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,944
Police here often set up morning roadside PCA testing. Doubt they would if it didn`t yield positive results of .05 and up.
__________________
BruceK
2005 Integrity 386 "Sojourn"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #6
Member
 
City: alice springs
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 6
that's one of the interesting things i saw moving here to Australia was the frequency of roadside PBT (portable breath testing), and around here its 100% everyone gets a tube to blow in. I'm allays amazed at 6-7-8am they will nab a few at 0.25 or higher. That must have been a heck of a Tuesday night for them to still be 3x the limit the next morning.
draakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:30 PM   #7
TF Site Team
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by draakken View Post
that's one of the interesting things i saw moving here to Australia was the frequency of roadside PBT (portable breath testing), and around here its 100% everyone gets a tube to blow in. I'm allays amazed at 6-7-8am they will nab a few at 0.25 or higher. That must have been a heck of a Tuesday night for them to still be 3x the limit the next morning.
The committed alcoholic can stay drunk as long as his/her liver will permit.
I used to do some DUI cases. One I recall was tagged by the police at noon, after his shift driving a water taxi, and blew around .24. His habit was to start drinking at 6 or 7 PM, stop when the bottle was empty, sleep a few hours, then go to work.
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:38 PM   #8
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,033
Greetings,
Many moons ago we took the ferry from North Island New Zealand to Picton on South Island. Picked up a rental van and then drove on the curviest road I have ever seen or could imagine. Carved into sheer cliff faces. Any miscalculation would have meant a plummet to one's death. We emerged after 1 1/2 hours of continuous hairpin turns to a long, straight descent from the mountains to an open plain visible in the distance. As the road flattened out, I was flagged over by an LEO and asked to blow...This was @ 9:00 AM on a Sunday morning!!!!!! In the middle of NOWHERE! Not a sign of ANY civilization in sight.
I was both sober AND completely flabbergasted.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:06 PM   #9
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
The committed alcoholic can stay drunk as long as his/her liver will permit.
I used to do some DUI cases. One I recall was tagged by the police at noon, after his shift driving a water taxi, and blew around .24. His habit was to start drinking at 6 or 7 PM, stop when the bottle was empty, sleep a few hours, then go to work.
My record client scored .30. While driving, he had 3 collisions,with no memory of the third he did not contest had occurred.
Driving in rural areas it was not unusual to pass through a morning PCA(Prescribed Concentration of Alcohol) test set up. I suspect it in part suits the convenience of Police to test in daylight than at night after pubs Clubs and restaurants close.
__________________
BruceK
2005 Integrity 386 "Sojourn"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:09 PM   #10
Guru
 
Alaskaflyer's Avatar
 
City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,146
Drunk boating accident?

Anyone who has had a loved one as a hard-core alcoholic knows the only time they are not drinking is when they’re asleep. Or in the hospital. Lots of memories of a grandparent pouring copious amounts of bourbon in their morning coffee and aunts and uncles needing something to “take the edge off” before leaving for work.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:37 PM   #11
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
My record client scored .30. While driving, he had 3 collisions,with no memory of the third he did not contest had occurred.
Driving in rural areas it was not unusual to pass through a morning PCA(Prescribed Concentration of Alcohol) test set up. I suspect it in part suits the convenience of Police to test in daylight than at night after pubs Clubs and restaurants close.
It's interesting reading about Australia and New Zealand as in the US, most states have severe limitations on random testing and even on setting up stops. Aggressive LEO's have tried vehicle checks near major strips of bars and had those ruled illegal.

Every state in the US has different laws. In some, a single DUI will cause you your license. In others, it takes many. Even in stopping a vehicle, the definitions of probable cause get complex. In most states, agreeing to the breathalyzer is optional. In others, the breathalyzer doesn't prove DUI without the field tests.

Once again, the US stands a leader in a very undesirable area, the problem of Driving under the influence.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:46 PM   #12
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,114
I was stationed near Atomic City in Idaho. We were told, if blood was to be drawn, you were federal property and only a corpsman could drawn blood. Of course it might take 8 or 9 hours for the corpsman to get to you. LOL
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:57 PM   #13
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post
Anyone who has had a loved one as a hard-core alcoholic knows the only time they are not drinking is when they’re asleep. Or in the hospital. Lots of memories of a grandparent pouring copious amounts of bourbon in their morning coffee and aunts and uncles needing something to “take the edge off” before leaving for work.
We both had alcoholic fathers. Mine was distinguished business man. He drank every weekend and some weeknights. Did it all outside the home. Fortunately, he always called taxis. As time went on, he was more frequent. Still in the office at 9:00 AM with mouthwash and cologne to cover the smell. While he and my mother fought constantly over it, he wasn't abusive. My mother was the fighter. I planned nothing with friends, as I could never depend on conditions at home. We lived in a nice house in a nice neighborhood.

Wifey B: And my father was much different. Couldn't keep jobs. Drank every day of his life. Was abusive and my mom would do nothing about it. We lived in squalor. I spent nearly every moment at home in my room with my door closed and locked. I ran away and never saw them again.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:31 PM   #14
Guru
 
Alaskaflyer's Avatar
 
City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,146
Drunk boating accident?

Been around functional alcoholics too who could manage to limit their drinking to binging at certain hours. One of my best bosses was one. Loved him to death but it was a problem and it’s gotten worse after he retired. He’s now divorced and incarcerated for a short time for an alcohol fueled disturbance with another group of drunks at a decently upscale restaurant in Seattle.

Somehow my parents didn’t catch this bug present in their parents thank goodness. I still drink more than I should but less than I could.

Back to the OP: many jurisdictions have both a per se law but also a general DUI and BUI statute on the books. A prosecutor with gumption can usually get around the hijinks such as those mentioned here to still gain a conviction on the general DUI statute. Plenty of evidence available in an accident besides a chemical test, as apparent in this linked case.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:22 PM   #15
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,155
I think the prosecution will have a hard time proving impairment. They can get recklessness or endangerment but without any evidence or witnesses I don't see how they could get a DUI conviction.

The fishermen are not qualified to asses impairment and anyone at the bar where he was drinking can not be impartial because that's who the victiims were.

The only really damning thing is his voicemail confession......but that could be explained away by confusion exitement fear head injury etc.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:17 AM   #16
Guru
 
Alaskaflyer's Avatar
 
City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,146
“No person shall operate, navigate, steer, or drive any moving vessel, or be in actual physical control of any moving vessel, nor shall any person manipulate any moving water skis, moving aquaplane, moving surfboard, or similar moving device while:
(1) Under the influence of alcohol to the extent that it is less safe for the person to operate, navigate, steer, drive, manipulate, or be in actual physical control of a moving vessel, moving water skis, moving aquaplane, moving surfboard, or similar moving device;”

I’m reasonably sure that - assuming they can prove he was operating - the act of striking another boat can be used to help prove his being under the influence to the extent of being less safe.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:30 AM   #17
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,319
Quote:
I’m reasonably sure that - assuming they can prove he was operating - the act of striking another boat can be used to help prove his being under the influence to the extent of being less safe.
Do we know the other boat was properly lighted? defense argument.
My first thought on reading the article is this was road rage on the water.
__________________
SteveK AKA Soo Valley
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:50 AM   #18
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It's interesting reading about Australia and New Zealand as in the US, most states have severe limitations on random testing and even on setting up stops. Aggressive LEO's have tried vehicle checks near major strips of bars and had those ruled illegal......
"Every Police vehicle is a mobile RBT" goes the advertising slogan. Plus another,"If you are driving and going to drink,you need a Plan B"
Initially anyone stopped for RBT gets a roadside breath test, if positive they get tested on a machine. Refusing a test is an offence. Blood tests are taken in some cases.
When couples/groups are out and driving, there is usually a designated driver, I sometimes refer to the non driver as "the designated drinker".
It`s less about the rights of the drinking driver and more about protecting others placed at risk.
__________________
BruceK
2005 Integrity 386 "Sojourn"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:19 AM   #19
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,924
I had an uncle who was a weekend alcoholic. He was a WW2 vet, D-Day, Battle of the Bulge. He was in an anti-tank unit and crewed on seven tank destroyers (similar to Sherman tanks) that were knocked out. He never suffered a scratch throughout but was forever haunted by what he saw. He could never bring himself to watch a war movie. Anyway, Uncle Tony worked a factory job five days a week for forty years, sober. He went to church every morning. He was a gentle man but on the weekends he drank until his wife passed away. He promised his wife at her grave to stop drinking. And he did, not a drop until the day he died.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:27 AM   #20
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,114
Based upon living in GA for over 25 years, I observed it is common for men to drive anything while having a can of beer tucked securely between his upper thighs hence the phrase, "Here, hold my beer."
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012