Do you leave your VHF radio on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you leave your VHF radio on if there are likely to be other boats in the anchorage

• Yes.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • Yes, until we go to bed.

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • No.

Votes: 22 31.0%

• Total voters

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
So if you're in an anchorage with other boats, after anchoring, do you leave your VHF on whether to be hailed by a friend, informational question about the anchorage, or warning about a situation (pending anchor drag)?

Ted

Yes. I was moored at Edgartown on the 4th of July. The fireworks were scheduled to start at 8:00 or so but the fog delayed it an hour. The fireworks finally started at about 9:00 from a barge located near the ferry lane between Edgartown and Chappaquiddick.

After about ten minutes I heard over the VHF: "$%#@, $%#@, $%#@, the barge is on fire". (Is that ok moderators?). After much screaming and shouting over the radio I heard the fire truck getting on the ferry to go out and put the fire out.

So, yes there is often something worth listening to even if anchored or moored.

David

I’ll leave it on for a little while after we anchor in case we’re called about our scope or the bottom holding, etc. Then it goes off. I don’t want to talk to or listen to anyone after entire days of “slow pass” calls and securitie about a log in the water. Just today I asked my wife to get out the flare gun so I can shoot myself. I know there is a legitimate safety reason to leave it on but I’m so burned out from the chatter I need a break. And peace and quiet is one of the reasons I’m anchored.

Down along the Gulf coast, when anchored anywhere near the Intercoastal at night, the conversations between the cajun tugboat capts. is far better entertainment than whats on tv. I do leave mine on.

Yes unless we were in a real crowded anchorage and the radio chatter became too much. Twice I remember that we are able to help someone out and once another boater hailed us when a boat was dragging down on us.

Channel 16 when anchored.

Years ago my two young sons (6 & 9) and I were in Cuttyhunk and unusually the VHF was on 16 around 9pm-ish. I think my son was passing the time listening. He then says "Dad, there is a lady talking about a hurt husband". Folks jumped in and helped very quickly. The poor guy had a heart attack and dies at anchor. Quite the evening for us all.

But usually no...

We are methodical about setting an anchor alarm. Tried and true and has never let us down.

Although we have 1300 amp hours of battery, I prefer to leave it for the TV and starlink. :)

That said, if someone comes in and anchors close to use, Usually my mean mug from standing in the cockpit sends the message.

We adventure around, but the anchorages are all ones we have been to before and have years of experience picking the right spot and staying put.

We have found that if people have something to say they come by on Dinghy anyway.

I should have prefaced this, we are on the Hudson river with a significant amount of commercial traffic. If we left the VHF on 16 we would hear an endless amount of Security calls and other commercial announcements

Last edited:
Yes. Always have the lower helm VHF on channel 16. All night too but with the volume down half of normal and the squelch up about 2x normal. If something is happening near me I want to hear it.

After the set of the anchor is confirmed the radio goes off. Mostly as it annoys the admiral and guests. If there ever was to be a distress only channel, then it would be on 24/7.

Yes. I was moored at Edgartown on the 4th of July. The fireworks were scheduled to start at 8:00 or so but the fog delayed it an hour. The fireworks finally started at about 9:00 from a barge located near the ferry lane between Edgartown and Chappaquiddick.

After about ten minutes I heard over the VHF: "$%#@, $%#@, $%#@, the barge is on fire". (Is that ok moderators?). After much screaming and shouting over the radio I heard the fire truck getting on the ferry to go out and put the fire out.

So, yes there is often something worth listening to even if anchored or moored.

David

Though I find it difficult to pronounce, it is clear that you are referencing a call to a boat called "$%#@" about a fire on the barge. Completely acceptable VHF etiquette.

I leave the vhf on, on lower volume (channel 16) and I create a guard zone in my axiom, in a busier anchorage to alarm for boats entering too close but more importantly to alarm me if someone may try to set their anchor over mine

Generally no once anchored and shut down unless expecting to hear from someone or weather info, etc. Never just for the sake of monitoring once settled in.

While in US waters we may have a handheld close bye, not so in foreign waters. 16 is usally pretty dead once we exit US waters.

Assess the situation then decide. If anchored down a creek with no one around no the vhf is off. If in a crowded, active place yes it’s left on until everyone is beddy bye. Every situation is different so every decision has different deciding factors. Related question is whether to leave the AIS on. We do in low visibility situations and there’s a reasonable chance of nearby traffic.
Some places people are more likely to behave poorly. Block island is one. Bottom is chewed up and due to crowding use little scope. Dragging is very common. We’ve taken to putting fenders all around our bows as calling on vhf when someone is dragging rarely gets a response. Similarly no longer give advice when someone has anchored too close or with inadequate scope. Rather get in the dinghy and using the phone take a lot of pictures. Usually the captain can figure out why so moves without the need for conversation. Sometimes not but they then ask why I’m doing that. So then say “for the insurance claim to come”. Haven’t been in an argument about anchoring etiquette in years.
One of the best small pieces of kit on the boat is a golf range finder. In a few seconds know if someone or us will create the possibility of troubles. Use it just before we drop and again after the snubbers are set up.

Last edited:
Generally mine are on unless we're at a dock or sleeping. If in a crowded anchorage or expecting bad weather, I may put a handheld on 16 next to the bunk (for shorter range and making sure I hear it). Ordinarily our vhf watch is on 9/13/16.

Has it's advantages if a modern one... so yes I leave on much of the time unless other situations dictate it off.

Weather alerts, if AIS receiver equipped know some neighboring vessel names or other useful info...Maydays in the anchorage if you are a helper.....auto fog horn....etc...etc...

Adjust the squelch to get all but local traffic off and just loud enough to hear alerts....

No in US. Too much excessive chatter from USCG.

Yes, while in BC AND well out of range of USCG. When CCG is transmitting, it is generally of value.

Yes channel 16 when underway. Generally no when on the hook. Too much chatter and yahoos yelling at each other on high power 20 miles up the coast.

I've generally found that five blasts on the air horn gets more attention in a crowded anchorage than calling on the VHF.

Assess the situation then decide. If anchored down a creek with no one around no the vhf is off. If in a crowded, active place yes it’s left on until everyone is beddy bye. Every situation is different so every decision has different deciding factors. Related question is whether to leave the AIS on. We do in low visibility situations and there’s a reasonable chance of nearby traffic.
Some places people are more likely to behave poorly. Block island is one. Bottom is chewed up and due to crowding use little scope. Dragging is very common. We’ve taken to putting fenders all around our bows as calling on vhf when someone is dragging rarely gets a response. Similarly no longer give advice when someone has anchored too close or with inadequate scope. Rather get in the dinghy and using the phone take a lot of pictures. Usually the captain can figure out why so moves without the need for conversation. Sometimes not but they then ask why I’m doing that. So then say “for the insurance claim to come”. Haven’t been in an argument about anchoring etiquette in years.
One of the best small pieces of kit on the boat is a golf range finder. In a few seconds know if someone or us will create the possibility of troubles. Use it just before we drop and again after the snubbers are set up.

I like the photo taking idea.

I've generally found that five blasts on the air horn gets more attention in a crowded anchorage than calling on the VHF.

For what" someone running into you I agree, for most other things it gets attention but now what? If they even know where it came from

Hitting a DSC emergency button takes less time than the 5 blasts and lets a lot more people in on your problem (hopefully).

We are often on remote sections of the coast in BC and leave the VHF on at anchor, but low volume so we don't have the chatter. If there is a May Day, Coast Guard has the ability to trigger the alarm on a DSC-equipped radio. Once CG tasked us to investigate a nearby EPIRB alert and we would not have gotten that message without the VHF on.

Other friends who live on shore (but off the grid) listen 24/7 and saved a man's life near Dent Rapids in the middle of the night when they heard the May Day. That's where I learned my lesson to leave 16 on at anchor.

We noticed this summer there was way less Ch 16 chatter in BC waters - presumably due to improved cell coverage.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned DSC. You can leave your VHF on with the volume all the way down, so you don't hear ordinary chatter, but if someone sends a DSC emergency transmission, the alarm will get your attention even if you are asleep.

So, no, I don't leave VHF audio on, but yes, I will hear DSC Maydays.

Jim

Jim

I'm surprised no one has mentioned DSC. You can leave your VHF on with the volume all the way down, so you don't hear ordinary chatter, but if someone sends a DSC emergency transmission, the alarm will get your attention even if you are asleep.

So, no, I don't leave VHF audio on, but yes, I will hear DSC Maydays.

Jim

Jim

Thanks Jim. I wasn't aware or knew that the alarm would still work, but good point and makes sense. Where I anchor, I wouldn't normally be responding to alarms, but will keep that in mind.

I leave the vhf on, on lower volume (channel 16) and I create a guard zone in my axiom, in a busier anchorage to alarm for boats entering too close but more importantly to alarm me if someone may try to set their anchor over mine

Does that only detect AIS targets, or do you leave your radar on?

Back
Top Bottom