Do you leave your VHF radio on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you leave your VHF radio on if there are likely to be other boats in the anchorage

• Yes.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • Yes, until we go to bed.

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • No.

Votes: 22 31.0%

• Total voters
We have been cruising some fairly remote areas the last several years. We are often the only boat in an anchorage or one of few. In these quiet areas, I can leave the VHF on all night and not hear a single call until morning.

In these areas there isn’t much traffic or assistance. If we or another boat have a problem in the night, the only help we might have is each other. I want to hear if someone is dragging down on me or has an emergency. I would also like to think they will hear me if the tables are turned.

In more populated areas with lots of radio chatter, the VHF gets turned off at bedtime.

Can you hear the radio in your stateroom. Turn it to the weather channel at a normal volume and go lay down. Unless you have a speaker, I doubt it.

Can you hear the radio in your stateroom. Turn it to the weather channel at a normal volume and go lay down. Unless you have a speaker, I doubt it.

When the boat is shut down at night and all quiet, I can definitely hear the VHF from our bed, and clearly enough to wake me up from sleeping. It may not wake me up instantly but any kind of conversation or repeated transmission will wake me up for sure.

I think most of us get pretty tuned-in to boat sounds and hear most anything out of the ordinary when at anchor.

When the boat is shut down at night and all quiet, I can definitely hear the VHF from our bed, and clearly enough to wake me up from sleeping. It may not wake me up instantly but any kind of conversation or repeated transmission will wake me up for sure.

I think most of us get pretty tuned-in to boat sounds and hear most anything out of the ordinary when at anchor.

Excellent. Then should I find myself in trouble I hope you are the other boat in the anchorage.

Depending upon your setup and concerns unless you’re in a metal boat a handheld even at 1 watt could serve.

We usually put a anchor watch program on the iPad next to the berth. Gets around the need to leave the electronics on. Putting a handheld next to it wouldn’t be a biggie.

Last edited:
While at anchor I have it on for a limited time and for limited reasons.

1) hailing or waiting for the pumpout boat.

2) Waiting for any friends that are coming into the same port. (This is typically pre-arranged).

3) When bad weather kicks up, I turn to the channel of the local harbormaster and/or local towboat. That is where the 'action' is when boats are dragging.

Anything else and the VHF is OFF.

I agree re cell phones not being useable in many British Columbia cruising areas! And btw, although Desolation Sound has some, not great, cell service in the middle of Homphrey Channel, this summer there was basically nothing in Prideaux Haven. Thus I wasn’t alone sitting in the middle of the channel trying to communicate with work (required).

Back
Top Bottom