Distress call in Budd Inlet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stiggy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bailey
Vessel Make
46' Grand Banks Motor Yacht
Heard one side of a distress call this morning in Budd Inlet near Olympia, WA. Sounded like the occupant was able to get in his dingy but it sounded like from when the mayday went out to the vessel being sunk was less than 20 minutes!

Last we heard was another vessel was able to make contact with the occupant.

Makes you re-evaluate your ditch bag and being ever prepared for the worst.

Heard one side of a distress call this morning in Budd Inlet near Olympia, WA. Sounded like the occupant was able to get in his dingy but it sounded like from when the mayday went out to the vessel being sunk was less than 20 minutes!

Yowsa!

Wifey B: Some take a while and some seem to go straight down. You're right on our need to plan for the sudden and quick sinking, not the slow and convenient one. :)

There's a convenient one? Think I will just stay in wading water!

OMG, I am going down with the boat. Will have to give some thought to this. Dingy securely tied, no quick release. Outboard stowed away, life jackets kept dry. Plenty of outdated flares to compliment the current ones.
Yes, pack a grab bag, quick launch setup for dingy, order the AIS personal beacons. Sure have gotten complacent since the SAR days helping others.

OMG, I am going down with the boat. Will have to give some thought to this. Dingy securely tied, no quick release. Outboard stowed away, life jackets kept dry. Plenty of outdated flares to compliment the current ones.
Yes, pack a grab bag, quick launch setup for dingy, order the AIS personal beacons. Sure have gotten complacent since the SAR days helping others.

A quick way to deploy the dingy is something on my todo list. We have it on a davit off the stern but still need electrical power to lower it. I guess I put some lines that could be cut with a knife that would drop it.

Darn, sold the dink with last boat. Time to get out the water-walking shoes.

A quick way to deploy the dingy is something on my todo list. We have it on a davit off the stern but still need electrical power to lower it. I guess I put some lines that could be cut with a knife that would drop it.

I have three dinghys they are not for abandon ship. That's the self-deploying 6-man liferaft.

Speaking of being prepared- about three months back I and the wife decided to travel to her sister and brother in law's home in Wrangell about 90 miles North of Ketchikan. I had removed the RIB some time prior as one of the Weaver pads on it had separated and was under repair. So the aft was clear of the RIB exposing the Honda Git A Home OB were it needed.
We departed in total fog to the water surface and remained so for the next four hours where we were abeam of Three Island just short of Meyers Chuck. I had noticed the water temp creeping up above the normal 170 degrees then fall back. As we neared the Three Island location, still in solid fog, I decided that to venture beyond Meyers Chuck into Earnest Sound would present a situation where there is no traffic at this time of year. The concern of having a serious development caused me to cancel and begin the trip back home. As the temperature rose towards 190 degrees, I would throttle back and the temp would come back down to the 170 + area and I would increase throttle till the temp again rose. I continued this program successfully till abeam of Camano Light where the temp was about pegged out between 190 and 200+. At this point I shut down and heard water rushing. inspection found the exhaust hose had blown off the fiberglass exit pipe and as the boat swayed in 2 1/2 swells allowed water to gush in. With the main beige pump working and the remainder on auto setting I proceeded to return the exhaust hose on with one of the two clamps and then put my attention on starting the Git a Home Honda. As stood on the swim step the thought hit me that were the RIB in place I would have to lower it and then release it to allow the OB to be rotated into place and dropped for running. Now comes the real deal. Were I to have dropped the RIB down, it would be attached to the swim step by the Weaver locks which on our boat require weight in the RIB to provide position to allow the slides to be moved and the RIB released. Please picture the occupant standing in the RIB with 2 1'2 foot swells moving up and over the swim step as the boat is dead in the water. One's balance is precarious at best and the thought of releasing the RIB, lousy balance and BINGO, you are loose from the mother ship even with the RIB tied off, a very precarious situation.
Having thought that out and planning for future voyages involving open water or anticipated weather, I am of the thought of releasing the RIB in calm waters anticipating the need, towing the RIB with its small OB for the duration of that segment of travel.
Back to the situation in hand, now I have swung the Git-A-Home Honda around and deployed it down and ready for start. Two pulls on the starter rope and the rope remained out!!! So now I am in deep tapioca and still in the fog.
With in minutes of all of this, the fog began to dissipate and out of it in direct line with us, was a gillnetter heading for Ketchikan, I was able to contact him and obtained a very well spent $100 bill as a thank you (No he did not as most, expect any payment)
On top of that, I almost felt like putting on water skies on the tow, He pulled our boat faster than we run!
All ended well, the thought we blew a head gasket that allowed for the over heating was nil, it was scale build up in the cast iron exhaust header that blocked off the overboard water hose, allowing the hose to blow off due heat expansion.
All ended up well and safe, but that RIB stowed on the swim step deserves a emergency plan for sure or the test of towing it when felt it should be. Time will tell.

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan

I have three dinghys they are not for abandon ship. That's the self-deploying 6-man liferaft.

Ah yup!! Just have to hang around until the 6 man raft on the upper deck is 6ft underwater and then, home free. Until then, I'll just sit in the dinghy.

Oh those ditch bags what a wonderful idea, flares, water, food, one or 2 hand held VHF radios ..... the bag no longer float and takes 2 people to lift them and you have to find a place to store it.

Many years ago, about 20 miles off of St Simons Ga. we heard a mayday. Small day boat slowly taking on water. They couldn't determine where the water was coming in from. They had no GPS, so they couldn't give a location. 2 adults/3 children on board. Seas were <1 foot, not a cloud in sky. No wind.

We listened to the back and forth with the coast guard for about 90 minutes. The last thing broadcast was:

"Coast Guard......be advised......We are getting into the water......."

I never knew what happened. We were visiting a friend and this was before the modern internet as we know it now. (Back then it was E-mail, message boards/chat rooms, and a few corporate pages).

It still gives me chills. What was even crazier is were were 20 miles out and there must have been 100+ boats around fishing. It just seemed surprising with so much boat traffic that he couldn't be spotted with a flare.

I have given some thought to this: I carry a large tender on a Freedom Lift aft of the transom, and a Portland Pudgy that is simply tied on the boat deck above the salon. If I had power, I could lower the tender with the Freedom Lift. I am not sure if there is a valve to let the hydraulic system just lower without power.

I don’t think I could push the 600# tender (console RIB plus large motor) off the lift if I couldn’t lower it.

The Portland Pudgy, although smaller, is designed as a life raft. It has sail kit and oars stowed inside the double hull, plus I have a sea anchor for it. I suspect that it would be the solution in the event of a sinking. A few passes with a knife and it would be free of its tie downs. I always wear a PFD and the ditch bag is stored next to the door into cockpit, ready to grab.

I hope it’s never needed!!

Boy this is a good thread to trigger a lot of careful thought. When we outfitted the boat we bought a particular size dinghy (inflatable) intentionally so that it would fit conveniently on the bow and would be light enough so that in the event of a quick sinking or fire, we could flip it over the rail or let it float off the bow. Now we're shopping for a bigger dinghy but this discussion is making me think we still need to keep it small enough and light enough to function that way.

Our boat is in the barn for the winter and we have the starboard engine out. I was redoing the bonding system and was running the wire back to the lazarette. I happened to look at the hose clamps on the exhaust hose and noticed that one of the clamps looked funny. I touched it and it just about fell off. The weld rusted through and the clamp broke. Today I got 2 new ones and made sure what size I needed and put the 2 new ones on where the one broke. So now that I know the correct size I ordered 16 more to replace all the clamps on both exhaust hoses. That could cause a sudden down flooding event. Check your clamps!

Great post and good food for thought. Our dinghy is on slings so we could deploy within seconds

Great post and good food for thought. Our dinghy is on slings so we could deploy within seconds

Mine hangs on "strings" too. A knife would be instant, but simply releasing the hoisting lines from their winches takes no time at all.
Once released, however, if you are in real distress, did you remember to bring the key to the outboard motor? I leave mine in while travelling so in an emergency, I have one less thing to remember to do.

Until the boat is underwater, it's not sinking merely taking on water. Hopefully there's time to plug the leak and save her. I will not leave my boat until I can step from the mast into the life raft or dink. I over simplify but something along those lines.

Abandoning ship

Just a little aside along these lines. Friend of mine, flying a single engine corporate aircraft to hawaii recently got halfway, motor decided to quit. Long story short, in life raft 22 hours because cargo ship rerouted to assist wouldn't stop! Expected them to grab a rope as they cruised past at 6 knots.Finally another ship offered to assist, stopped and lowered Jacob ladder, both saved. Just something to think about, getting into the lifeboat isn't always the hard part.

Ah yup!! Just have to hang around until the 6 man raft on the upper deck is 6ft underwater and then, home free. Until then, I'll just sit in the dinghy.

Oh those ditch bags what a wonderful idea, flares, water, food, one or 2 hand held VHF radios ..... the bag no longer float and takes 2 people to lift them and you have to find a place to store it.

I totally agree. I always have a life raft with me. In my last boat it was a valise style in the cockpit. Current boat it’s mounted on the roof ready to auto deploy. Right next to the auto deploy EPIRB.

Such a small investment (relative to the boat) to save ones life. Seems so obvious to me anyway.

I also have a life raft in a soft case in the PH, fairly easily deployed I think. (Never done it).

My tender would take forever to deploy.

Someone needs to design and sell an auto-launch ditch bag.

What do you guys put into a ditch bag? If you put your wallet, credit cards, cash. etc, then any time you need those things they have to be removed and then replaced. And where do most people keep them? Just curious.

I also have a life raft in a soft case in the PH, fairly easily deployed I think. (Never done it).

A few here have said life raft. If I understand correctly, these are the ones meant for emergency use. If correct, these are also ones that need to be serviced to ensure they work when needed. I found this on net.
"Recreational Vessels
If you are not required to carry a life raft, the USCG does not require you to have one serviced should you decide to have one on board. The manufacturer of your life raft does have a recommended service interval. Today the most common is every three (3) years although there are still rafts which annual servicing is recommended. I am not aware of any manufacturer with a recommended interval longer than three (3) years. Customers tell me that their raft only has to be serviced every five (5) years but they are mistaken.

Vessel operators who are not required by the USCG to have their life rafts serviced always ask if they can go longer than the recommended period. The answer is sure you can, nobody will stop you (at least here in the United States). Then again if the raft does not function when you need it you have real problems and most likely not come back to tell your tale. I can not recommend going any longer than three (3) years between servicing on any life raft."

Yeah launching the dinghy is a non-starter. Why? A while back, while researching safety gear for my own boat, I uncovered a stat that caught my eye:

A recreational vessel in trouble takes an average of 8 minutes to sink after either impact, crew noticing water intrusion, etc. (for the life of me I can't recall the source so don't ask).

Begs the questions:

Who could launch their dinghy in 8 minutes?

Who could even find the remote to lower their dinghy in 8 minutes?

This assumes the vessel is remaining horizontal during the sinking process.

Spend the money. It's your life after all.

Reminds me a story, told and re-told while I was at Chapman's.
Man had his auto-launch raft serviced, they delivered to the dock.
He told them to toss it into the water. It sank, did not inflate.
They retrieved it and offered to repack it for free.

Last edited:
Reminds me a story, told and re-told while I was at Chapman's.
Man had his auto-launch raft serviced, they delivered to the dock.
He told them to toss it into the water. It sank, did not inflate.
They retrieved it and offered to repack it for free.

Oh well that’s super comforting. [emoji15]

Oh well that’s super comforting. [emoji15]
It should be, they all do not work as expected, the ones I recall had a lanyard attached to the boat which started the process, and then allowed a manual deployment if auto failed.
The one that sank without deploying, that would be funny to watch the looks.

Someone needs to design and sell an auto-launch ditch bag.

Hiking fanny pack with all the essentials for basic wilderness survival...that’s what we wore while sea kayaking. If all was lost, you’d still have a chance ashore.

Have one at the ready, and put it on when conditions worsen.

We have something like this, because any day hike can turn into an emergency overnighter.

Back
Top Bottom