Deadly attack on cruising family in Panama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miraculix

Hi all,

Being on the water is likely a very safe place compared to being on land, but bad stuff happens on the water too.
This time it hits a family from New Zealand who was preparing for the Pacific crossing in Panama. The father died during the attack; some family members were injured but survived. The boat was a 60 f trawler, sounds like it happened in a remote area of Panama.
It must be very nice to be in remote areas, but in some countries, they come with a risk that is obviously not zero.
Pretty tragic and sad.

I got the info from a Facebook page for cruising families, and the gofundme page is so far the only further info I could find. Their boat is also listed on the page for the Pacific puddle jump

Pacific Puddle Jump Fleet 2019

https://www.gofundme.com/help-for-the-culverwell-family-on-aqua-lobo

News article here

A tourist who was on his yacht was killed early on Thursday May 2 in the region of Guna Yala, sources said.

According to the first reports, the event occurred on the island Surdub (island Mono), near Dad Naggwe Dubbir.

At the moment it is unknown how the tourist died and if the murderers are natives of the area, since they were hooded, but they took a 15-horsepower engine.

The informant added that fortunately, the woman and the children were unharmed from this robbery

https://www.midiario.com/policiales...E-ezUZbDv-mSRX9L8s6Y9T8LdCP9odR0TuiDIzTkl45mE

In 2019, there have been quite a few events on the Caribbean side of Panama. The area near Colombia is considered of highest risk but thefts in Bocas del Toro and an Armed Robbery, including hitting one crew member in the head, in Portobello. There have been warnings not to travel from Colon toward the Colombia border. Portobello is about 20 miles in that direction and Guna Yala, where the Culverwells were, is another 110 miles or so and only about 70 miles from Colombia. I'm only up to date on the previous issues as I have a friend captaining a boat home from Panama to Fort Lauderdale at the moment. The boat is owned by a Panamanian who discussed it with him.

This is the latest from the US State department.

Outside city limits, the Mosquito Gulf (Caribbean side) and the Darien Region (Colombian border) are particularly dangerous due to their remoteness and the presence of criminal organizations.

In the Darien region, most travel is by river or by footpath due to the scarcity of roads. There have been reports of narco-traffickers, and other smugglers and criminals operating in the Panama-Colombia border area.

Access to the “Mosquito Gulf” region is almost exclusively by boat and/or aircraft. Sections of this coastline are reportedly used for narco-trafficking and other illicit activities.​

Outside city limits, the Mosquito Gulf (Caribbean side) and the Darien Region (Colombian border) are particularly dangerous due to their remoteness and the presence of criminal organizations.

Sounds like nothing has changed in the 30+ years since I was in the Darien. I never had the urge to return. I assume Colon is the same or worse, as well. If ever a town was aptly named. "Lawless" is the word that comes to mind.

Very sad and just such a waste. RIP, Mr. Culverwell.

Back
Top Bottom