Day Mark Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
Was diving out of Tavernier inlet in the FL Keys last week. Coming back in the channel from the ocean were numerous pairs of day marks. #10 was a white triangle with maybe a 6" red boarder and the number "10" on it. Same size and shape as a normal red day mark but white with a red boarder. No other unusual markers in the channel. Wished I had taken a picture of it. Anybody know what the different coloring signifies?

Ted

Triangle day mark means red. Even number means red. Chart shows red day mark. Bad paint job?

That might be an indication that you can pass on either side of the mark. Very common at channel intersections. But usually red/green.

David

Triangle day mark means red. Even number means red. Chart shows red day mark. Bad paint job?

I'd treat it the same way.
Chart note states day markers are privately maintained so who knows.

Pretty sure this was done intentionally and means something specific.

That might be an indication that you can pass on either side of the mark. Very common at channel intersections. But usually red/green.

David

This area is shoal on either side of the channel. No way you're going outside this mark. There aren't any channels off the main channel.

On the USCG site, Aids to Navigation, the red day marks show pink(ish) interior with a red border. Could it have been something like a faded one of those?

https://www.uscg.mil/d13/docs/usaidstonavigationsystembooklet23dec03.pdf

Ken

This is a relatively new mark in good condition, not something old and faded.

I'd treat it the same way.
Chart note states day markers are privately maintained so who knows.

These aren't private channel markers, standard Coast Guard size, shape and mounted on pilings or "I" beams.

Will be back in January and plan to take some pics.

Ted

Was diving out of Tavernier inlet in the FL Keys last week. Coming back in the channel from the ocean were numerous pairs of day marks. #10 was a white triangle with maybe a 6" red boarder and the number "10" on it. Same size and shape as a normal red day mark but white with a red boarder. No other unusual markers in the channel. Wished I had taken a picture of it. Anybody know what the different coloring signifies?

Ted

It sound like it's just faded. I've seen them like that before.

Is this the channel you're talking about?

Attachments

• IMG_1398.jpg
    IMG_1398.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 111

Ted

Ted

Looks like you stumbled into Canada:

"it is a red coloured triangle centered on a white background with a red reflecting border; and may display an even number made of white reflecting material"

If you google it and look at the pictures, even for US day markers, it shows the marker you describe: https://www.google.com/search?q=Red...X&ved=0ahUKEwid-tqZ2ePQAhVKslQKHYDUCxEQsAQIKQ
check the third set of markers.

It sound like it's just faded. I've seen them like that before.

Is this the channel you're talking about?

That looks like the right channel except the marks start much further out and go into the high teens before you get near land.

Ted

Looks like you stumbled into Canada:

"it is a red coloured triangle centered on a white background with a red reflecting border; and may display an even number made of white reflecting material"

If you google it and look at the pictures, even for US day markers, it shows the marker you describe: https://www.google.com/search?q=Red...X&ved=0ahUKEwid-tqZ2ePQAhVKslQKHYDUCxEQsAQIKQ
check the third set of markers.

The mark has a red boarder, but no red triangle in the center, only the number.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom