Close all valves in the harbor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This sounds like it was built by an old sailboater. I don't see a see of use for a seacock on an above water discharge through hull on a trawler. Unlike a sailboat, you're not going to be healed way over on one side for hours at a time.

There also sounds like some redundancy. 3 for the generator? There is an intake and a discharge. What would the 3rd by for?

ABYC requires seacocks on throughulls on power boats that will be under water at 7 degrees of heel, which is quite common when heeling in beam seas. Many throughulls which are several inches above the waterline disappear under the wake while moving. Transport Canad requires a "reliable means of closure on all hull penetrations".

Depends on how long I'll be away, but if leaving town everything is shut. Just make sure you keep track of things - I use a hull opening indicator just like we had on the subs I served on.
k04RUCS.jpg

If you don’t trust your thru hulls and hoses while at the dock, how could you possibly trust them out at sea?

Everything closed when I leave the boat. Big sign at the helm saying so. I'm fortunate to have a sea chest so most are easy to get to.

There is a boat or two that sink in the harbor every year. Almost always a hose that went bad. My hoses look good, I've replaced most in my two years as her keeper but you never know.

If you don’t trust your thru hulls and hoses while at the dock, how could you possibly trust them out at sea?

:thumb:

I never closed valves while at the dock t I can see the potential issue of keeping them opened.

L

Last edited:
Having only one thru hull for sea water supply and one I keep closed unless emptying gray or black water, the mind boggles thinking about a dozen or so. The builder never heard of a sea chest? In any case, keeping them closed in harbor is clearly better IMO.

Your boat, you can leave open valves you want, you can leave the electrical breakers opened or closed as you wish.
Everyone makes their own decision how to configure the valves and breaker when you leave you leave your boat.

The question was, 'how do you configure your boat, when you leave it.' You read lots of answers. Then you start suggesting the other person is wrong. Or 'what if..... (insert condition here)'

This discussion has no end.

Again, your boat, you do what you want.

Last edited:
I only have 3 seacocks and I close them if away from the boat for more than a few days. If for no other reason, it exercises the valve regularly.

I don't worry about forgetting and cooking the engine. I ALWAYS check for water flow out my exhaust immediately after starting the engine. SOP.

I only have 3 seacocks and I close them if away from the boat for more than a few days. If for no other reason, it exercises the valve regularly.

I don't worry about forgetting and cooking the engine. I ALWAYS check for water flow out my exhaust immediately after starting the engine. SOP.

Most of the cooling water exits below the water line (on the of the newer boats.) The amount that is visible is minimal.

I am jealous of those boats with a sea chest. You can look down and see the sea floor when it is shallow.

Last edited:
On Pilitak, I keep all seacocks closed except when in use. My logic is that it exercises the valves and I know they will all work (5 in total), it gives me an opportunity to inspect the hoses, clamps, and other nearby "things", and I know I will not have an unpleasant surprise.
To ensure no issues related to having them closed, I put very visible "signs" on the dash by the key to remind me of the closure, and I know that the gen set is never started without opening the valves, and doing a complete prestart check. I have also installed raw water flow alarms on both the engine and gen set. Like Dan stated, I could not really see the exhaust water on the main engine, and this made me nervous. I also installed exhaust hose overheat alarms, and this has already paid off big time in catching an exhaust elbow problem that could easily have gone undetected possibly ending with a very big repair bill!!

However, I agree, your boat, your decision!
Regards,
Tom

I can understand the mental logic of physically closing a valve as you will unconsciously register the condition of the hose at the same time.
It all comes down to individual attitude to maintenance and geographically where your boat is moored.
Personally I always do an end of season thorough check of all hoses, fittings and fixtures when servicing the engine/gearbox, I then make a checklist and it gives me something to tackle during the quiet winter months, if your land bound its a great excuse to get away from 'her indoors' for a lads 'weekend-end away at the marina'.
The are many benefits, you build friendships, learn and help each other and over a few sundowners get your head showered from land based problems/activities.

Back
Top Bottom