Check Lists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4061

Guru
I recognize this topic has been discussed many times over the years but thought it wouldn't hurt mentioning again. Today I found myself working on a new check list (or reminder) for launching our new 16' Sandpiper Day Sailor. It's been 20 years since we trailered and launched a boat and while it's not rocket science doing this with a sailboat will be a first for us. Just typing the step-by-step process made me realize I had forgotten a few important items which made this simple exercise well worth the effort. By the time I was done I had no less than 21 steps and likely forgot one or two along the way.

Looking back on our trawler days I recall the detailed (and long) check list Jeff Merrill provided us with our first Nordhavn I thought "dang I better start an hour prior to casting off the lines". While that list was comprehensive and established for an offshore trip many of the items were relevant even for a trip across the bay. Over time we became familiar with the list and edited it for short and long trips. By the time we took ownership of the Helmsman 38 we had stopped using a written check list and did everything from memory. Looking back, I recognize that was not one of my smartest moves especially when I think about my flying days and use of a formal checklist for every flight (no going by memory). I guess I got a little too comfortable and lazy over time which is not something I'm proud of.

Time will tell how long I will use the new check list for the Sandpiper but one thing for sure is I will be using it at least the first few times. I don't want to forget to install the rudder and lower the center board prior to casting off.

Curious to hear from others on this topic especially those who take longer offshore trips.

John T. N4050, N4061, N3522, H38E (former owner)
Sandpiper 16' (current owner)

I'm a very strong believer in check lists. Aviation is perhaps the best example of a field diligent about them but in manufacturing we often had processes that entailed risk if done improperly. When we got into retail, we got diligent about opening and closing lists. So, with boats, we have a start of day and end of day list and even a list for periodic checks of engine rooms and other. I can understand you getting complacent on the Helmsman with the subconscious of I've done this for years and this boat is simpler. However, it can be the simplest of items. I'm very much procedure oriented so when we use professional captains, they must use the full lists.

You do get faster and you check off more items at a time, but you still check them all.

There are procedures, essentially check lists for everything we do or others do since we personally do limited. Something as simple as an oil change, you move through quickly and forget one small step and soon have a bilge coated in oil. It happens. A lot. One that we do every time we fuel is 1-make sure the pump that is turned on is diesel. 2-Make sure the nozzle is going in the diesel fill. 3-Do a quick check to make sure the fuel has no water or other issues. (Yes, we do a test). But just steps 1 and 2 seem so natural and yet how many times have we read about someone getting diesel put in their water tank or getting gas in their diesel tank. We actually go so far as to announce out loud. People laugh and say "Do you really do that every time?"

I find the checklist most critical in the morning. We try often to leave the dock at 7 or even earlier. I'm sorry, I may appear awake, I may act awake, but I don't really wake for another hour or so. My wife refers to it as me being in my zombie state. Meanwhile she's wide awake and joking and giggling and fully alert.

Check lists are good. They are never 100 percent all encompassing because each trip has a unique aspect to it. It does reduce the amount of pure memorization needed.
We routinely use a Season Ready List, a Trip Departure list, a Daily Departure list, a Weekly Dinghy list, and a Storage list.
Try to put your items in sequence to make it easy on you.

I should add that our checklists are all digital and available on phones or tablets and they do require someone checking each item off.

I should add that our checklists are all digital and available on phones or tablets and they do require someone checking each item off.
BandB,

Alan here in Chesapeake Bay Country. WOuld you please consider sending me copies of your digital checklists?
Sigmachimaritime@gmail.com

Tight Lines,

Alan V. Cecil
M/V SIGMACHI

I use checklists for everything. From start up, putting the boat away, using the watermaker, where the thru hulls are at, where the safety equipment is. I learned this from my offshore racing days. I have them all on laminated cards. Where they are particularly handy is with crew who may not be as familiar with the boat as the captain.

Back
Top Bottom