Cattle Carrier Sinks off Japan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/03/9091...fter-ship-sinks-in-storm-tossed-seas-off-japa
This is ugly, but it always is. In awful weather one of the engines failed,with reduced control the ship was quickly overcome. One of the 39 Filipino crew was recovered alive, one dead, 2 Aussies (one the 25yo. onboard vet) are missing,and it seems unlikely there will be more survivors. 6000 cattle destined to be eaten in China are likely shark food already.
The live animal trade is not pretty and neither are the tired ships converted to a stock crate that are used.
Thoughts for the crew and their families.
And now this. He looks to be the sole survivor: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09...w-members-on-ship-capsized-off-japan/12630056

Last edited:
Makes you wonder if the Captain, Coast Guard or....... ever made calculations on stability. A tired ship converted to carry probably to much weight above the meta centric height. One could also imagine if the cattle received adequate water, ventilation and sanitation conditions. The buyers usually drive the care of the cattle refusing to pay for dead cattle, but of course the buyer is China.

Last edited:
... one dead, 2 Aussies (one the 25yo. onboard vet) ...

I was wondering if one of the Aussies was the vet. I remember from the James Herriot books that he had gotten on a ship transporting sheep, if I remember correctly, to Russia. Figured the livestock ships still needed a vet on board.

Horrible event.

Later,
Dan

Makes you wonder if the Captain, Coast Guard or....... ever made calculations on stability. A tired ship converted to carry probably to much weight above the meta centric height. One could also imagine if the cattle received adequate water, ventilation and sanitation conditions. The buyers usually drive the care of the cattle refusing to pay for dead cattle, but of course the buyer is China.

My son is a chief engineer in the Merchant Marine. The stability of the vessel is his responsibility.

My concern is why the ship was in the area of a severe typhoon anyway..? With all the technology assisting accurate forecasts of this type of thing, with weather satellites etc, surely it could have avoided the typhoon, or if not, gone into the nearest post to wait it out. So, unless there are facts still not made public that dictated the ship's course, one suspects economics and time schedules once again overrode common sense, as is so often the case with this type of disaster.

It's a dangerous area for cows. Years ago a Russian plane carrying dairy cows from the US, had one cow go berserk. Unable to control the cow, as a last resort, the crew opened a door at cruising altitude. The cow charged out. Some poor Japanese fisherman was the victim of the cow falling. It sank his boat. When he was rescued, his story of a cow falling from the sky made the authorities think he was mentally disturbed. He was held until they received the report of the Russian plane.

Japan has closed the search for survivors. Sadly, of 41 crew predominantly Filipino,2 were recovered alive,1 deceased. After a second typhoon the chance of survivors is remote at best.
Separately,New Zealand is reviewing the live animal shipping trade. Australia suspended it for a time but resumed with more checks and balances. I`d rather value add here and export frozen dressed carcasses.

It's a dangerous area for cows. Years ago a Russian plane carrying dairy cows from the US, had one cow go berserk. Unable to control the cow, as a last resort, the crew opened a door at cruising altitude. The cow charged out. Some poor Japanese fisherman was the victim of the cow falling. It sank his boat. When he was rescued, his story of a cow falling from the sky made the authorities think he was mentally disturbed. He was held until they received the report of the Russian plane.

Years ago, a JAL DC-8 full of breeding bulls departing Anchorage over-rotated on departure and stalled, killing all, human and bovine.

Taxi driver who delivered crew reported drunken captain had to be carried into terminal. Dispatcher later testified he saw nothing out of the ordinary.

My concern is why the ship was in the area of a severe typhoon anyway..? With all the technology assisting accurate forecasts of this type of thing, with weather satellites etc, surely it could have avoided the typhoon, or if not, gone into the nearest post to wait it out. So, unless there are facts still not made public that dictated the ship's course, one suspects economics and time schedules once again overrode common sense, as is so often the case with this type of disaster.

Probably already had the cattle loaded, no way of watering them adequately if passage was delayed, no place to off load them, lots of lost $$$ either way, probably made the decision, or was pressured to make the decision to sail anyway . . . after all, What's the worst that could happen? . . . :facepalm:

Another view from another marine engineer....and what was his responsibility.....

"The chief engineer has nothing to do with cargo placement or calculation of intact or damaged stability other than tracking the contents of fuel, lube, and water tanks. As chief engineer I conferred with the master or chief mate when fuel or water transfers were planned. Quite often the amount and location of the transferred fluids was limited by stability concerns that are the responsibility of the master and delegated to the chief mate.The master or chief mate told me how much ballast to load, offload, or transfer from where to where. When I wanted to shift fuel or water around I notified the master or chief mate and stated how much and where I wanted to move it. They worked out the potential stability issues and either confirmed or disallowed the transfer."

Separately,New Zealand is reviewing the live animal shipping trade. Australia suspended it for a time but resumed with more checks and balances. I`d rather value add here and export frozen dressed carcasses.

Years ago, I had noticed that Australia was shipping live animals to overseas markets. One would think they would process the animals in Australia and then transport the meat...

Since they don't there has to be a reason. The market they are shipping too must want/may want only fresh, not frozen or even cooled meat, and/or it is cheaper to process the live stock at the destination. I would really like to know the reason for the shipping of live stock. As I remember it, in the Herriot books, I think the sheep were breeding stock, and not going directly to the butchers.

Later,
Dan

Years ago, I had noticed that Australia was shipping live animals to overseas markets. One would think they would process the animals in Australia and then transport the meat...

Since they don't there has to be a reason. The market they are shipping too must want/may want only fresh, not frozen or even cooled meat, and/or it is cheaper to process the live stock at the destination. I would really like to know the reason for the shipping of live stock. As I remember it, in the Herriot books, I think the sheep were breeding stock, and not going directly to the butchers.

Later,
Dan
Some countries don`t have the refrigeration to deal with large quantities of "cold" meat exports, Indonesia is a good example, though the cattle from NZ were going to China. Could relate to religious practices, though our abattoirs have employed "blessers". Has to be demand related. Sheep usually go to the Middle East. We have exported breeding cattle stock but Asian countries doesn`t seem good at animal husbandry.
Periodically we get horrible reports with disturbing video footage of cattle or sheep being killed in ways approaching torture, which often puts a temporary stop to exports.We`ve even insisted on approving overseas abattoirs. Right now,with the breaking of a long drought, stock prices are high as farmers compete for to rebuild breeding stock. China has banned a lot of our beef imports( and lots more),but beef prices are "through the roof" due to restocking.

Back
Top Bottom