Carbon Monoxide on Hatteras LRC in Marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiltonP

Vessel Name
Think Big
Vessel Make
Camano Troll 2003
A friend of mine who is recuperating from another health episode just go pulled off his Hatteras LRC a few slips over. Initial statement friend was given was carbon monoxide levels were high. So... what on a diesel boat running on shorepower is generating carbon monoxide? AC has been running but shorepower not a generator.

Just checked aboard. Electric galley and cat that never leaves doing fine.

Last edited:
Seems like there shouldn’t be any. About a dozen other gases will register on a CO detector, the most common being propane and acetylene. Was he pulled off unconscious, or was the detector just going off?

Last edited:
Boats next to him maybe?

I am the closest who has run their engine the past few days and that wasn't close enough. He was on his feet but on oxygen. Only thing I can think of is that maybe his new diesel furnace is still on and coming on at night fighting temp with his AC. Pretty sure I would hear it running though. He had only been on boat maybe a week after being in rehab but cat has been there through the winter. Guessing there should be new Webasto panel somewhere indicating status of furnace(s). May take another look.

Another theory: aboard Seaweed I had an alarm go off. Mine was due to an off-gassing battery. The first thing I would do is shut off the battery charger. Number two is check for an over heating battery.

Details on how I messed up big time. (a cautionary tale)
Carbon Monoxide Alarms and Batteries article on janice142

First Responder's Detector Alarm Went Off

Will check batteries. Shouldn't be hard to find the bank. Another Hatteras is nearby. The alarm could just be coincidence as they found friend also still had pneumonia. He will stay in hospital a few days.

If the your neighbor is a smoker, his Blood gasses will show an elevated CO percentage. If he is compromised I imagine the % of CO could even be higher

Qualify the alarm condition. Check against a calibrated CO device. With a good CO analyzer (like a Bacharach Monoxor) it is easy enough to check background levels. You can also sample the Webasto heater exhaust, if the burner's out of whack, the CO levels will show it. A top notch pro heating guy will have a Monoxor in his(/her) arsenal of tools, it is a sure-fire accurate method of tuning a burner and/or advanced troubleshooting. Any burner that burns fossil fuel. If your acquaintance is compromised to the extent that background CO levels present a health crisis, he should be using a top-of-the-line detector, not a generic box store cheapie. I'd also have a CO survey completed, not terribly complicated with an analyzer, and every device can be accurately assessed. Unless you have accurate data that points to CO, evacuation may actually be predicated on other conditions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom