Old 07-24-2020, 11:53 PM   #1

City: Camas wa
Boating lessons

I live in the Portland Oregon area and Iím looking for someone to help me with our new boat. We upgraded from a carver 2557 to a Chris craft 372 and would like to find someone to show me the ins and out of properly maneuvering the boat and docking etc etc. if someone can steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
thanks John

Johnandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:19 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hughesville, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I don't think I welcomed you in your battery thread. Welcome to TF!

Good luck with your new boat and obtaining the training you need. Is that a single or twin engine? What's the propulsion configuration?

An experienced boat handling instructor tried to teach me to dock his single-screw training boat, about 40', and I (or he?) failed miserably. My wife, however, was much more successful at following his instruction. So there's more to it than just finding someone, and be sure to include Heather in the training sessions. She might do better in training sessions without you around, but that depends.

Practice is the best teacher, but I supposed some minimum level of competence and confidence is required to start that.

Greg.

GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:48 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
If you get no recommendations here, contact the local Power Squadrons. They will at least have classroom classes and likely be able to recommend someone.

https://www.usps.org/lc/portland/links.html

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
If you get no recommendations here, contact the local Power Squadrons. They will at least have classroom classes and likely be able to recommend someone.

https://www.usps.org/lc/portland/links.html
+1 US Power Squadrons, now known as Americas Boating Club offer a wide range of courses and seminars and some are beginning to offer a short (2 - 4 hr) "jump start" on the water training tailored to your specific needs / interests aboard your vessel. After an initial interview they will try to match you up with someone experienced in that area.
This obviously will depend a lot of finding an instructor with experience in handling your type boat. If nothing else their connections may be able to recommend a training resource in your area that other members have used. Little to lose and many opportunities to learn and expand your boating network.
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote