Anyone have a Lifesling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Used one once with drunk neighbors girlfriend. Held her until fire department got there. Tried to get her up our swim platform but she had no skills left. Idiots for neighbors.

Frankly, that is where I am. Just get whomever is in the water tethered to the boat. Bring them to the hull alive and above water. And we will deal with getting them onboard whatever way we can.

I just don't like the alternative. In many cases this means throwing them a ring - with or without a line, and hoping they can get to it and that it will keep them above water.

Have one on the stern rail, but it have yet needed to deploy.

We have had one for over 25 years, never had to use it but thats a good thing..:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_20160709_111751.jpg
    IMG_20160709_111751.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 71
Life sling

I have one and never used it but it’s required and half price is a good deal get it and you can have it just in case mob
Woodlord

Used one once with drunk neighbors girlfriend. Held her until fire department got there. Tried to get her up our swim platform but she had no skills left. Idiots for neighbors.

"drunk neighbors" girlfriend
or drunk "neighbors girlfriend"
Treat each much differently.

Seriously though, here where hypothermia is very real, you have about 10 minutes to get the distressed person out of the water, so can't wait for help to arrive.
Even in "warm water" hypothermia will make an otherwise intelligent person into a blithering idiot, which was likely the effect you were seeing.

If you have a soft bag for it, stow it out of the sun when not needed. Bag is very susceptible to UV and will be damaged.

I have one and never used it but it’s required and half price is a good deal get it and you can have it just in case mob
Woodlord
For new to boating types.....just so there is no confusion

In the US, a type IV throwable is required, but not the lifesling as a product name or even if there are lookalikes.

Depending on the boat, there are different ways to get the person back aboard, some may be easier and more versitile than a lifesling.

From the lifesling 3 manual...note the 10 foot high attachment point requirement...might be the same for all lifeslings....

Approval Limitations
This Type V device is designed and tested to the same standard as a Type IV Throwable
Device except for the throwing requirement. Because it is designed to be a part of a sys-
tem for recovering persons overboard, it has the approval limitation that it can only sub-
stitute for a Type IV PFD with the following restrictions:
• Sailboats must be greater than 20' in length
• Power vessels must have an attachment point at least 10' above deck
• Lifesling3 must be used in accordance with the owner’s manual provided

Last edited:
I have one on my sailboat. It has been in the cockpit locker since I bought the boat 22 years ago.

Having one, but not having any experience using it is like not having one at all. Same thing with a standard throwable like a ring. If the latter, make sure you use floating line.

One advantage of first practicing with a bundle of fenders or other somewhat heavy floating objects, is that they will drift similar to person, and as you learn how to get the boat to them, or should I say, them to you, they don't mind getting bonked or run over, and will wait with infinite patience as you learn how to bring the line and attached device around to them.

"drunk neighbors" girlfriend
or drunk "neighbors girlfriend"
Treat each much differently.

Seriously though, here where hypothermia is very real, you have about 10 minutes to get the distressed person out of the water, so can't wait for help to arrive.
Even in "warm water" hypothermia will make an otherwise intelligent person into a blithering idiot, which was likely the effect you were seeing.

True. A few years ago we saw a gentleman floating 1/2 mile off Lopez Island clinging to a fender. He fell overboard from a vessel his son chartered trying to bring in the fender, but no one noticed him going over the side. My son and I were able to drag him on board, but without my son being there, the LifeSling was ready and would have allowed us to get him in a position where I could hoist him aboard using the same setup we use to launch and retrieve an 850# Boston Whaler. I reckoned he had about 5 minutes to live when we spotted him and he was essentially dead weight bringing on board, so appropriate tackle is essential if you want to get someone out of the water. They simply won't be able to help you under most circumstances.

One thing that is I think is needed on these that they don't come with is a chest strap that can be wrapped around a person at the elbows to keep the arms, and the person, from slipping through the LifeSling when you are hoisting them out of the water. Once hypothermia sets in, I'm not sure a person has enough wits to keep their arms at their sides so this doesn't happen.

If you have a soft bag for it, stow it out of the sun when not needed. Bag is very susceptible to UV and will be damaged.

So true. I’ve had several disintegrate over the years. That is why I got a hard shell case for mine a couple years ago.

From the lifesling 3 manual...note the 10 foot high attachment point requirement...might be the same for all lifeslings....

Approval Limitations
This Type V device is designed and tested to the same standard as a Type IV Throwable
Device except for the throwing requirement. Because it is designed to be a part of a sys-
tem for recovering persons overboard, it has the approval limitation that it can only sub-
stitute for a Type IV PFD with the following restrictions:
• Sailboats must be greater than 20' in length
• Power vessels must have an attachment point at least 10' above deck
• Lifesling3 must be used in accordance with the owner’s manual provided

10’ can be a tough requirement. I have very strong rails on the fly bridge that extend to the aft quarter. Likely 10’ above the water, but not 10’ from the “deck”. However, I do have a crane where the hook is 10 above the lower deck.

I was talking to my wife about this the other day as this thread came up. We will see about improving our recovery system so that she can get me back on board.

One advantage of first practicing with a bundle of fenders or other somewhat heavy floating objects, is that they will drift similar to person, and as you learn how to get the boat to them, or should I say, them to you, they don't mind getting bonked or run over, and will wait with infinite patience as you learn how to bring the line and attached device around to them.

I agree with practicing, but I disagree than a fender will drift similar to a person in the water. A fender floats very high in the water, even a bunch of them. As such, they are much more affected by wind than a person floating in the water. That is also important with a Type IV throwable. If there is much wind unless it lands in the water directly upwind of the MOB, they likely will never reach it.

That is one reason why having a throwable that is tethered to the boat is a good idea as you can use the boat to maneuver the line upwind of the MOB.

I bought one for our older boat but there wasn't really a good place to keep it handy. I have it on a flybridge rail on our current boat. Using the TNT swim platform would make it a lot easier to get someone back on board than a pulley setup (which I also own but have no workable location to install it). So it's basically a glorified throwable, but then I also have one of those too (the seat cushion kind).

I agree that a sailboat is probably better suited for making full use of one. I would probably not go out and buy one for our Eastbay had I not already owned one.

I disagree than a fender will drift similar to a person in the water

That's why I didn't say a fender. Though I should clarify: large fenders. And anyway you want to prepare for difficulty, as you will not be able to practice for every situation and duplicate it in advance. Attach the bundle to a weight if that makes you feel better.

They meet the USCG requirement for a throwable life ring, so yes, you need it.

We have one. USCG reguirement is the reason. Mounted on the mid railing which runs accross our aft cabin top. Always had one on my sailboats. Bought ours at $99. last time they were on sale.

JohnP

Echoing Delfin’s post.

The only time I actually employed a Lifesling was close to 30 years ago. I was on a 43’ ketch tranisiting Mississippi Sound in the winter with my two sons. I was in shape enough to keep up with Navy SpecWar (not a SEAL) physical qualifications, 17-year-old son was a state champ swimmer, 14 year old played HS football and track.

We responded to a Coast Guard alert for a fishing boat taking on water. It was blowing and cold (for here, probably low 40s). Plenty of 3-4’ waves with typical short periods. No idea of water temp, although that time of year sea temps tend to be mid to low 50s.

On arrival to the reported area, we luckily and fairly quickly spotted 2 people in the water, with lifejackets, and no boat to be seen. I don’t recall how long they’d been in the water.

We had drilled (my sons and I sailed together quite a bit) on MOB with the LS. In the sunshine, with good weather, and healthy “subjects”. Rigged the block and tackle off the main boom. The boat had about 4’ of freeboard, with the main boom about 9-10’ above water. I think this was a pretty ideal setup in Lifesling terms.

We used the LS. Put our MOB plan to work. Both were conscious but unable to render any meaningful self-assistance – pretty cold. Had issues with one person sliding out of the LS as Delfin described. Took a couple of tries. One was a big boy, probably 2-250. The other pretty average. I will simply say that between me and two strapping teenager boys, recovering those folks was a real chore.

I compare that with my current boat (no boom, high freeboard), current crew (old guy and a 115# wife), and conclude the best I’m probably going to do is get the victim at/on the swim platform and/or drop the inflatable on its Weaver clips as a recovery platform and do what I can until further assistance arrives.

To be clear, all things considered, I think the LS concept is pretty good – it just doesn’t fit my current boat. I have two rings and throw lines, one set on the FB and one on the aft rail.

I just purchased a Lifesling 2 from WestMarine which had them on sale for half price at $99. I was just not comfortable with throwable cushions and I hope I never have the need to use my new purchase. I also have a davit crane for my dinghy that can be used in emergency retrieval if ever needed.

Echoing Delfin’s post.

The only time I actually employed a Lifesling was close to 30 years ago. I was on a 43’ ketch tranisiting Mississippi Sound in the winter with my two sons. I was in shape enough to keep up with Navy SpecWar (not a SEAL) physical qualifications, 17-year-old son was a state champ swimmer, 14 year old played HS football and track.

We responded to a Coast Guard alert for a fishing boat taking on water. It was blowing and cold (for here, probably low 40s). Plenty of 3-4’ waves with typical short periods. No idea of water temp, although that time of year sea temps tend to be mid to low 50s.

On arrival to the reported area, we luckily and fairly quickly spotted 2 people in the water, with lifejackets, and no boat to be seen. I don’t recall how long they’d been in the water.

We had drilled (my sons and I sailed together quite a bit) on MOB with the LS. In the sunshine, with good weather, and healthy “subjects”. Rigged the block and tackle off the main boom. The boat had about 4’ of freeboard, with the main boom about 9-10’ above water. I think this was a pretty ideal setup in Lifesling terms.

We used the LS. Put our MOB plan to work. Both were conscious but unable to render any meaningful self-assistance – pretty cold. Had issues with one person sliding out of the LS as Delfin described. Took a couple of tries. One was a big boy, probably 2-250. The other pretty average. I will simply say that between me and two strapping teenager boys, recovering those folks was a real chore.

I compare that with my current boat (no boom, high freeboard), current crew (old guy and a 115# wife), and conclude the best I’m probably going to do is get the victim at/on the swim platform and/or drop the inflatable on its Weaver clips as a recovery platform and do what I can until further assistance arrives.

To be clear, all things considered, I think the LS concept is pretty good – it just doesn’t fit my current boat. I have two rings and throw lines, one set on the FB and one on the aft rail.

We're fortunate in that our side entry point for the vessel is only 10" or so above the waterline. My hope is that the person can be dragged to that location and a Velcro strap wrapped around their arms so we can then hoist them, even if they are helpless, without them sliding out. A swim platform might also work, if there is some way to get them onto it. You can't underestimate the difficulty of dragging a 200# person in soggy clothes on board.

And, of course, my analysis assumes it's somebody else in the water. With a bit of good fortune, I can see me single-handed recovering my bride from the water. The other way around - I hope she tosses me flotation and remembers how to call for help. She's not going to be able to get me on board unless conditions are optimal and I'm not impaired.

On my other boat, I had a Life Sling in the provided plastic, bag mounted on the rail, outside the steering station. The only way I would have another is if I bought the big plastic box too.
The plastic bag became brittle and gave almost no protection to the sling itself.
I would also give serious consideration to mounting on the outside of the railing so that it did not impede moving about the deck.
The LS is of no use if you are single handed. Maybe string a floating 'granny line' and a fender off the stern with hopes you and your PFD can make it to the swim platform.

Also, a lot can be said for wearing a bowline loop around yourself if you are in rough weather and single handling along with your offshore auto inflatable PFD.

Last edited:
On my other boat, I had a Life Sling in the provided plastic, bag mounted on the rail, outside the steering station. The only way I would have another is if I bought the big plastic box too.
The plastic bag became brittle and gave almost no protection to the sling itself.
I would also give serious consideration to mounting on the outside of the railing so that it did not impede moving about the deck.
The LS is of no use if you are single handed. Maybe string a floating 'granny line' and a fender off the stern with hopes you and your PFD can make it to the swim platform.

Also, a lot can be said for wearing a bowline loop around yourself if you are in rough weather and single handling along with your offshore auto inflatable PFD.

The fiberglass box works well.

As I got a little smarter as I got older, I started using a harness and tether along jack lines when one the sailboat solo. Up till then I would be on the foredeck setting an retrieving the spinnaker just wearing a PFD. Pretty stupid. The jack lines and tether were annoying, but better that than going overboard and watching the boat sail away.

Great thread. As I age thoughts of "What if" that are not often a subject when younger and swimming about with a strong heart, danger related to falling overboard is not front and center.
A couple of years back I had installed a swimstep pivot ladder. Shortly it dawned on me that climbing said ladder is not that easy. A hand hold of ability to raise up while climbing the steps is required. I installed a knotted line that can be released from the canopy over and into the water of the step. Fine. but the thought of needing additional help to exit the water under exhausted situation then became a priority. I have a four strand block and tackle used to raise our 125# RIB (No motor) on Weaver mounts. It is recognized that this unit would and is light in ability to lift a dead weight exceed 100# The intent would be to have a person secured till a formal act of retrieving is configured. This is center mounted on the overhead canopy. I installed a eye bolt directly over the said overboard hanging ladder. The block and tackle can be quickly shifted from the center point to the swim ladder point as the RIB has hold off legs if in the up position or if floating, a even quicker move.
All of this is basic as is the life ring (saver) with a simply coiled 50 foot of line. (That is the real struggle, keeping that amount of line from the anticipated tangle in the excitement of throwing it. I keep a second ring free of any line as a first throw tool.
We practice at least once during the initial boating outing(s) verbally if not walk through. Same with the float coats, immersion suits. Location, speed run to the storage and laying out. Givers everybody comfort. The float coats and inflatable vest are pointed out to visiting guest (along with head use rules!!!) As long as folks are within the confine of the aft cockpit and not directly on the narrow side decks, they are free to not wear a vest, but if they wish to move on open decks or activate the RIB then one must be worn.

Al-Ketchikan

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom