AIS Check??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

av8tr

Vessel Name
Beautiful Life
Vessel Make
59 Marquis
A few days ago, I installed a new AIS. Here in the Newport Beach area of Southern California, with Long Beach and LA harbors nearby and related cargo ship traffic, an AIS is an important safety feature. I have been checking both the Marine Traffic and Vessel Finder websites to get an indication that the new AIS is working. So far, NO JOY!. :banghead: Someone said the best way to check an AIS is to ask a friend with an AIS receiver to see if he/she can see your boat. If any of you get a chance, would you mind checking your AIS for “Beautiful Life” in Newport Beach to see if you see her? You can let me know via private Trawler Message. Any help or advice much appreciated!

I see you listed on Vessel Finder but the last transmission was on the 23rd.

Hi Tcoop, Humm, that's weird. That's when the unit was installed. Maybe the tech did a check at that time to see if it was sending, and it was, then... I'm receiving okay, just not sending. I'll keep orking on it. Thank you!

Anthony

By the way, I think I see you on Marine Traffic. Are you in port in St. Helens?

We're from Gresham. Small world.

Yes, that's me. I hope you are warmer down south. It's been a little wet today.

There is usually a way to go into a silent mode so you can't be seen. I would check the SW and make sure the tech didn't put it into silent mode.

Also you should not leave it transmitting while at the dock. It just clutters up everyone’s screen with boats that are not underway.

A few days ago, I installed a new AIS. Here in the Newport Beach area of Southern California, with Long Beach and LA harbors nearby and related cargo ship traffic, an AIS is an important safety feature. I have been checking both the Marine Traffic and Vessel Finder websites to get an indication that the new AIS is working. So far, NO JOY!. :banghead: Someone said the best way to check an AIS is to ask a friend with an AIS receiver to see if he/she can see your boat. If any of you get a chance, would you mind checking your AIS for “Beautiful Life” in Newport Beach to see if you see her? You can let me know via private Trawler Message. Any help or advice much appreciated!

Welcome aboard!
Yes you are showing up on Marine Traffic as last position on February 23, 2021
see attached..........:thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 12.50.09 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 12.50.09 PM.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 22
Also you should not leave it transmitting while at the dock. It just clutters up everyone’s screen with boats that are not underway.

Got it! Makes sense.

You can let me know via private Trawler Message.

Were you referring to an AIS text message? Class A does that, but from what I understand Class B does not. If you have Class A, it would be worth checking that functionality.

I know that some AIS units (Raymarine) have the option to add a switch for silence mode. This toggle switch will allow you to listen without transmitting. you transmitter can easily be checked with most new VHF radios w/AIS.

Were you referring to an AIS text message? Class A does that, but from what I understand Class B does not. If you have Class A, it would be worth checking that functionality.

What I had installed was an SI-TEX MDA-5 Hi-Power 5W SOTDMA Class B AIS Transceiver w/Built-In Antenna Splitter Long Range Wi-Fi. The unit cost was more than $750, so I want it to work. My understanding was that this would both receive and transmit data.

Good upgrade. We have had AIS on our past two boats, but this past October it really came in handy during a pea soup thick fog entry into the Port of LA. As you know, lots going on there, so having the ships and other recreational craft who were AIS equipped was a good thing.

What I had installed was an SI-TEX MDA-5 Hi-Power 5W SOTDMA Class B AIS Transceiver w/Built-In Antenna Splitter Long Range Wi-Fi. The unit cost was more than $750, so I want it to work. My understanding was that this would both receive and transmit data.

I misunderstood your comment about a private trawler message. I thought you might be referring to an AIS text message (which allows a vessel to send a text message to be received on other AIS Class A -equipped vessels, but that is limited to Class A).

Based on the input of others, above, it sounds like your unit is properly sending position data. Especially when used in conjunction with Radar / ARPA, you will find that AIS is a great collision avoidance tool.

Back
Top Bottom