Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2021, 10:47 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
nmuir's Avatar
 
City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Redoubt/Ka Hale Kai
Vessel Model: 50' Gulf Commander/ 52' Cheoy Lee
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 157
Abandoned boats in Canada

Looks like the Government has a program to deal with (some of) them.

A start. Think there is a ways to go....

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...ss-canada.html
__________________
Advertisement

nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:10 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,809
Boats will be abandoned for eternity. The problem is the expense. I had an older Catalina sailboat I threw a bit of money at, but ultimately it was futile. I didn't know what to do but I knew doing the right thing was going to cost many thousands of dollars I didn't have at the time. I seriously debating abandoning the boat. But I had a bit of good luck, I was contacted and offered $1 for the boat. I couldn't get to the guy fast enough to complete the deal. I knew he thought he was getting something for nothing, but I knew he was inheriting a big problem and hadn't thought it through.

And I was $1 richer.
__________________

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:54 AM   #3
Guru
 
Jeff F's Avatar
 
City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 999
In the east most boats are hauled for the winter, so they die on shore. Much easier for disposal when the time comes.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
And I was $1 richer.
I hope you didn't blow all that money at one time!
__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
Guru
 
ancora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,840
"Free anchorages" ain't free when the taxpayers have to pick up the tab for removing abandoned boats.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
TF Site Team
 
slowgoesit's Avatar
 
City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
"Free anchorages" ain't free when the taxpayers have to pick up the tab for removing abandoned boats.

Did someone say they were? Or were you commenting on a post in another thread?
__________________
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #7
Guru
 
ancora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Did someone say they were? Or were you commenting on a post in another thread?

Expressing an opinion regarding abandoned boats.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
City: NE Florida
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 125
don't these things have serial numbers that can be traced back to the title owner?

pretty sure if I abandon a junker car in the middle of I-95 they'll track me down and make me pay.....
skyhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #9
Guru
 
Pete Meisinger's Avatar
 
City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,928
In some of the bad areas for abandoned boats wouldn't it be cheaper if the government had a piece of land and a travel lift and would just pull the boats and pile them up no charge?

Eventually we will come up with a good disposal alternative and the boats would be high and dry waiting to be reduced to whatever. Maybe full of mold or skunky water but at least not floating or sinking in a channel somewhere.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #10
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17,986
Yup ...
Land and travel lift bought by government (us)

Ancora is right. We’re in the salvage business and not by choice. A non profit bus at that.

But what to do? Can’t do anything but buck up and see the money go.

Goes back to my usual song .. “too many people”.

We’ve had the same problem in Alaska. To a lesser extent ... fewer people. But we considered them a thing of beauty like an old rusty farm implement in one’s front yard. I’ve never understood the old farm stuff but boats (wood boats) were kinda beautiful.

But California and the BC mainland w Van is. included (the obvious part) are a clear problem directly related to ... TOO MANY PEOPLE.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #11
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 23,300
Actually, my old boss got a tiny grant to clean up 5 abandoned, sunk boats in Cape May, NJ harbor maybe 10 years ago. The grant was only peanuts...barely covered his disposal costs I would bet....but the advertising/ public exposure was worth a ton of gold.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #12
Guru
 
ancora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,840
Here in San Diego it was common practice to grind off the HIN number, remove all traces of the owner and anchor the scow off the North Island Naval Base. Eventually they would wind up on the Navy beach and they (the taxpayers) got stuck with the disposal. The rules have been changed so that there must be someone on board at all times, thus mitigating the problem.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:47 PM   #13
Guru
 
Jeff F's Avatar
 
City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
don't these things have serial numbers that can be traced back to the title owner?

pretty sure if I abandon a junker car in the middle of I-95 they'll track me down and make me pay.....
Often the title or registration is still under a previous owner. I know people who have sold their boats and been contacted years later by authorities when their boat was abandoned and they were the last registered owner.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
tozz's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Often the title or registration is still under a previous owner. I know people who have sold their boats and been contacted years later by authorities when their boat was abandoned and they were the last registered owner.

Same issue in WA. These boats are sold through back of napkin transactions or simply traded for goods/services. No paperwork is ever filed with the state. Some are just eventually stripped of anything of value and abandoned. Then it becomes a public problem. As a hazard to navigation and/or our tax money has to be used to fund the vessel removal programs.

-tozz
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:32 PM   #15
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,917
So what about marine (recreational) junk yards? Boat parts heaven....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #16
Guru
 
C lectric's Avatar
 
City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,362
Marine junkyards.
Actually there are such businesses. But even those are slowly going by the wayside. In Vancouver, Saanich, VIctoria, Steveston to speak of my general area there WERE a number of them but most are now gone.
There were several around Seattle and Bellingham area that are now gone.
No one wants the old parts. Most owners of new boats do not have the skills to make use of some of these things. They never grew up being handy persons.
Obviously there is still that type of person around but not as many so the used boat parts business can't make a living.
A lot of it was used by the small boat fishing industry to keep the boat going and we have all seen what has happened to that industry.

I search these places out. I actually have a very small one in GIbsons, Bitter End, but were it not for the new parts/supplies business end he could not keep going.
Both he and the previous owner like the used parts end but need the new parts end to survive.

Actually my boat still has most of the hardware installed on it new so I don't need much and since it is 44 yrs old it is almost a repository of old stuff most of which no one would want any longer.

Electronics are usually not highly resellable. Even I usually won't buy used electronics unless so cheap I can afford to toss it if it does not work out.
I have repaired SOME pieces in the past but it is not a hobby for me so although I used to understand a lot/some of it, it has left me behind which I am fine with now.

ANyway, enough.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #17
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Marine junkyards.
Actually there are such businesses. But even those are slowly going by the wayside. In Vancouver, Saanich, VIctoria, Steveston to speak of my general area there WERE a number of them but most are now gone.
There were several around Seattle and Bellingham area that are now gone.
No one wants the old parts. Most owners of new boats do not have the skills to make use of some of these things. They never grew up being handy persons.
Obviously there is still that type of person around but not as many so the used boat parts business can't make a living.
A lot of it was used by the small boat fishing industry to keep the boat going and we have all seen what has happened to that industry.

I search these places out. I actually have a very small one in GIbsons, Bitter End, but were it not for the new parts/supplies business end he could not keep going.
Both he and the previous owner like the used parts end but need the new parts end to survive.

Actually my boat still has most of the hardware installed on it new so I don't need much and since it is 44 yrs old it is almost a repository of old stuff most of which no one would want any longer.

Electronics are usually not highly resellable. Even I usually won't buy used electronics unless so cheap I can afford to toss it if it does not work out.
I have repaired SOME pieces in the past but it is not a hobby for me so although I used to understand a lot/some of it, it has left me behind which I am fine with now.

ANyway, enough.
Sad. I love junkyards.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #18
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17,986
ASD .. Yes,
I remember a yard just east of Marysville Wa that had acres of old cars. Old Packards from the mid 30’s Lincoln Zephyrs and many others. One could walk around freely as long as one liked.
Another yard not so well known on Sand Point Way in NE Seattle had older cars than that. Hudsons, Hupmobiles and even a 6cyl air cooled Franklin.

And when we were 13 or so we (even w some girls ((near Lake Union in Seattle)) usta have kind-of a social hour sitting in numerous cars pretending that we owned them. I remember it clearly.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #19
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
ASD .. Yes,
I remember a yard just east of Marysville Wa that had acres of old cars. Old Packards from the mid 30’s Lincoln Zephyrs and many others. One could walk around freely as long as one liked.
Another yard not so well known on Sand Point Way in NE Seattle had older cars than that. Hudsons, Hupmobiles and even a 6cyl air cooled Franklin.

And when we were 13 or so we (even w some girls ((near Lake Union in Seattle)) usta have kind-of a social hour sitting in numerous cars pretending that we owned them. I remember it clearly.
Is that really cool!! I had a 64.5 mustang hard top, 68 Z-28 with the original 302 duel 4-barrels and 69 firebird. The one with the tach in the hood. Junk yards were heaven to a 16 year old and cheap parts.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #20
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17,986
Oh.. those were almost new when I was in post #18 above.
I was talk’in mid-to late 30’s cars.
This was my favorite.

But w a boat junkyard .. what to do w all the old fiberglass?
Attached Thumbnails
850546CB-0276-48C1-A505-CF281847879C.jpg  
__________________

__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×