Winter moorage in southeast Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kawini

Vessel Name
High Slack
Vessel Make
Selene 43
Because of the COVID situation and our inability to cruise in BC this summer, we brought our boat up to Alaska a few weeks back. Right now, we’re at the public docks in Petersburg - an amazingly beautiful town. (Beats the hell out of Ketchikan in my opinion.)

I know that there are many boaters who normally cruise BC who are in the same situation. Does anyone have any good intelligence on winter moorage options in southeast Alaska - preferably in Ketchikan, Sitka, or Juneau? (I specify those three because I’m looking for locations that have a non-stop flight from Seattle. I think that those three cities are the only ones that fit the bill.

At this stage of the game, I would be willing to consider storing the boat on the hard for the winter - but my first choice would be to find a space in a well protected marine (private or public) with good protection and reliable electric service.

I know that the public docks can be cheap - a three month contract in Ketchikan for a boat my size costs around $600 for the entire three months. But my understanding is that there is no way to plan ahead and reserve a spot in one of the public marinas - they are strictly first come-first serve.

Does anyone out there have some information that they could share? Our boat is a 48 foot LOA powerboat weighing 60,000 pounds.

In the winter Juneau is colder than Sitka. Ketchikan is rainier (rainy-er?) than Sitka.

I have friends who live aboard in Sitka and have for many years, but I’m afraid I’m short of details on slip availability, pricing etc.

Petersburg isn’t nonstop as you say nor is Wrangell but both are real possibilities with the best slip availability and probably cheapest rates.

Last edited:
I don't think Sitka is non stop in the winter. At least it wasn't last winter. You go through Ketchikan or Juneau.

Tom

I've chatted with a few harbormasters in Alaska. Winter moorage is not usually a problem because so many of the commercial (charter and fishing) boats that are slip holders pull their boats out of the water for the winter. Every harbormaster I emailed me always got back to very quickly and were very helpful and answered all my questions.

As mentioned above, Ketchikan is warmer and much wetter than the other towns mentioned, on the order if more than double the rain. NOAA has temperature and rainfall data available online.

Not sure why you want none-stop but we have wintered our boat in Petersburg for 15 years and are quite happy with the harbor and town.

Tator

Thanks for all the responses.

We’re still in Petersburg, and I can see the attraction of keeping the boat here over the winter.

Tator - when you’ve left your boat here, have you left it in the care of a “boat watcher” to check on it periodically? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Kawini, another option for Petersburg is to haul out for the winter if you're not going to use your boat. Scow Bay, a couple miles south of PB, has a boatyard that does this. Most boats there on the hard are commercial but there are also some yachties.

Jake Slavens is the guy. He works for the Harbor Dept. as well. His number is 907-518-4025. Are you in North Harbor now?

Back
Top Bottom