Where to leave boat in BVI or USVI?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We used to leave our boats on the hard in the BVI for extended periods of time years ago and recall mice getting on board and making a mess in the bilge. Rodents are very destructive so I do recommend leaving some kind of rat bait / prevention in place.

Happens many other places too. I've known people in NC to have major damage from rodents over the winter.

...and let us not forget the reptiles. Caught on camera on OLOH a few months ago in Fort Lauderdale:
(fortunately he/she just looked around and left without inflicting damage or leaving anything behind)

Back on topic, a bit, the recently promising BVI Airways has again gone away after having acquired two jets and being granted authority for non-stop flights from JFK to Tortola with other approvals being sought. If it ever happens it could be a game changer for BVI tourism.

Thanks for all the input. I followed up on most of the suggestions and did some other homework. After digging into the details and trip planning, we decided that taking the boat to the BVI this winter just isn’t going to happen. By the time we came to that conclusion, I had already done a fair amount of homework. Here are a few things that might be useful to someone else considering the same.

1. BVI/USVI. Didn’t find a clear winner on where to be based. The choices for us came down to St Thomas (USVI) or Tortola (BVI). There really weren’t any other choices that could accommodate our boat without being very complicated. St Thomas offers far more choices of marinas, easier air access and much easier access to parts and supplies. We were leaning to USVI but either could work.
2. Marinas on St Thomas. For us, American Yacht Harbor (thanks, BandB) was the most attractive. Pricing was lower than the other good choices, security is good and its closest to the BVI where we would go. Our plan would be fly in, stop for provisions, fire up the the boat and go. We have been to St Thomas and wouldn’t be spending any more time on land than necessary, so access to shopping and restaurants isn’t a concern to us. The marina is a 45 min cab ride from the airport but the upside outweighs that for us.
Crown Bay Marina is 5 minutes from the airport and has great access to supplies. A friend’s crewed boat is based there because access is what is important to them. Cost is higher and there are complaints of noise and soot from cruise ships and commercial ships nearby. Yacht Haven is more geared to super yachts and is very expensive. Safe and nice if you want to pay but not our deal.
3. Marinas on Tortola. Scub Island is beautiful but is $6/ft per day over the holidays and is mostly geared to transient boaters including sport fishers; also requires another short shuttle boat ride to get there from Tortola. I contacted B&G Yacht Mgmt (thanks, Bellakin, post #19) and he found that Nanny Cay could accommodate us. That appeared to be the best option on Tortola and B&G could babysit the boat and provide services if needed. The pricing was a little better than the good choices on St Thomas. The locals are still putting the place back to together but overall my impression is I would be happy going there right now.

The USVI location simplifies bringing parts and supplies to the boat, since you don’t have the customs/duty issues at the airport. Immigration at the airport vs from the boat has pros and cons both ways.

I did read and research every suggestion and haven’t addressed them all, but these are the options that seemed most feasible after looking at all the info.

I wish we could have pulled off the trip and could give first hand reports on the marina choices, but its not in the cards for us this year. Thanks for all the suggestions and hopefully it will help the next guy.

Of note about American Yacht Harbour. They will kick you out when they have a fishing tournament. Ask and get it in writing or you may find yourself homeless a couple weeks a year.

Living in the USVI for 6 months for the last 10 years we have found it makes sense to sail our boat to Puerto Rico and leave her on the hard at Puerto Del Rey. We survived both the hurricanes without an problem. Great security and a nice place plus easy to fly into and out of

Back
Top Bottom