Old 09-09-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Urgent plea for help

Hi guys

Just had a bit of a bomb dropped on me. As some of you are aware I'm coming to the end of a 2 year refit and upgrades etc. Just had news that the marina I'm in has been leased long term to a boat rental company. and as such I have to get out. I'm currently in Tarpon Springs and as such would like something close to here if possible ( I have supliers etc local to here). Most of my remaining work is now on the interior. I tend to do 4-6 weeks on board and working on the boat and 3-4 weeks home in colorado. I really need 50amp for shore power, although my solar runs the boat 110v and 12vdc. So consumption is not high. I'm 65ft and 17ft 6in beam with 5ft+ draft. Hopefully there's someone out there with a empty slip?
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin J View Post
Hi guys

Just had a bit of a bomb dropped on me. As some of you are aware I'm coming to the end of a 2 year refit and upgrades etc. Just had news that the marina I'm in has been leased long term to a boat rental company. and as such I have to get out. I'm currently in Tarpon Springs and as such would like something close to here if possible ( I have supliers etc local to here). Most of my remaining work is now on the interior. I tend to do 4-6 weeks on board and working on the boat and 3-4 weeks home in colorado. I really need 50amp for shore power, although my solar runs the boat 110v and 12vdc. So consumption is not high. I'm 65ft and 17ft 6in beam with 5ft+ draft. Hopefully there's someone out there with a empty slip?
How much longer do you have to go?

What is the nature of your lease from the marina? When does it run to? Are you paid current or in advance for any charges?

How much is your boat in their way?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
St Pete?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Very sorry to hear that. Was hoping you might still be there if we do another Tarpon Springs get together in January.

I'm of no help for a Tarpon Springs slip, but how far away still works as close enough?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #5
Guru

Hi Ted
Nice to hear from you, I trust the boats running well? I’m not really up for a run to the East Coast or down south to the covid. I would prefer a 3-4 hour run from here, but may be getting desperate for any berth. Sadly size and draft are a problem as well. Been looking now for over 2 weeks but everything full here on the river etc. Any help would be appreciated. So close to finishing the boat as well.

Martin
Old 09-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
Guru

The end of the month they would like me out. The marine is a small 8 berth sub Marina on Dodacanese Rd of Tarpon Landing Marina and they are opening a Freedom Boat club outlet. There is no lease. It's always been monthly charges. Been here nearly 2 years since buying the boat.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin J View Post
The end of the month they would like me out. The marine is a small 8 berth sub Marina on Dodacanese Rd of Tarpon Landing Marina and they are opening a Freedom Boat club outlet. There is no lease. It's always been monthly charges. Been here nearly 2 years since buying the boat.
Just because they'd like you out by then, doesn't mean you have to be out by then. Have they notified you in writing that they're terminating your tenancy and the date of said termination? How much more work do you have to do on the boat?
Old 09-09-2020, 09:49 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Martin,

Unfortunately covid has been filling marinas with boats that would likely otherwise be out of the country. It's going to be crowded from probably November on in SW FL. Is the west side of the Okeechobee waterway (Labelle) too far?

Port LaBelle Marina | Dock Rentals, Live Aboard, Fuel & Amenities

Probably a good spot but the electric may be an issue. Price is hard to beat. Google maps satellite view is impressive.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:32 PM   #9
Guru

City: gulf coast
try here
https://www.igymarinas.com/marinas/maximo-marina 30 Min from TPA

St. pete muni marina said no slips but i see plenty open.

https://www.pyccgolf.com/

https://theclubti.com/

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=mar...%20FL&start=10
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Might be worth getting some legal advice.Tribunals may take circumstances into account in setting the time you have to be gone. Things like how long you were there, the landlords knowledge of why you were there, how long it was expected you`d be there, etc. Doesn`t sound as if you need a lot of time to finish off.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:37 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Might be worth getting some legal advice.Tribunals may take circumstances into account in setting the time you have to be gone. Things like how long you were there, the landlords knowledge of why you were there, how long it was expected you`d be there, etc. Doesn`t sound as if you need a lot of time to finish off.
That's why my questions. They can't just kick him out even on a month to month. Requires giving him notice and even then if he fails to leave they'd have to go through a legal process. He should leave at his convenience, trying to cooperate but not in a panic if he doesn't have a good answer. If they really want him out then he likely could negotiate a payment from them to help offset his cost. Now, I don't know when they told him they wanted him to leave or how they did so and all the figures into this. I assume he's paid for September already. If he can't move before the end of the month, he should pay for October unless they have a different agreement by then. If the new marina is going to cost more, perhaps the old marina compensates for that.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:30 AM   #12
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Suggestion for St Pete may make sense. I can imagine your concern is finding new marine contractors who are capable and affordable. St Pete has that and I'm sure folks on this list could give recommendations. If Maximo has room, may not be a bad option. This part of Florida isn't Ft Lauderdale where a 65-footer is easily accommodated.

OC Diver/Ted - good thought on Labelle. I like the river a lot but wonder if finding skilled workers may be difficult on a boat that sized. But for the OP who is based in CO, might be a good long term solution given its pretty safe from storms and has good access to the Bahamas or The Keys.

Obviously, best solution for the OP would be to work out a reasonable extension. In my mind, a case for honey of persuasion vs vinegar of engaging a lawyer. Even if this were a state like California, I can't imagine a slip holder of a 65 foot yacht having much standing to argue termination of a rented slip. But you may want to re-read your rental agreement to see if there are any special notice periods

Good luck!

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #13

City: San Diego
MVWeebles sums it up well. If you can find a slip, you'd happily accommodate them. But times are very different due to COVID and marina availability. Marina slip rentals don't have the same legal tenant protection that real property has. You can stay, until courts say you must leave, but the new owners can say, no outside contractors may do work in the marina without their permission. This can also include very high insurance policies required of outside contractors naming the marina as coinsured. Some of the folks working on your boat may not be able to or be allowed to continue the work. So, you may need to stay until you can find another marina or courts say you must leave but work may ceae until you move. Not a good predicament. Don't know if you should be looking for a new marina or the right tradesmen first. You need them both in the same place. A boat yard might be a solution for you but it's gonna cost more than you're used to paying.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #14
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
I am not familiar at all with your area but here in Washington we have a moratorium banning evictions with about the only exception is illegal activity which is hard to prove. I have an rv park and am unable to remove any tenants to the point that even squatters if they have been there two weeks are considered legal residence of the city . I had one person there hooked up to utility's who no one even knew so i unplugged her from the power. She called the cops and they made me plug her back in so i have to provide free power with no rent to a camper that remains unknown. Again that's Washington.
magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:47 PM   #15
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna 6882 View Post
I am not familiar at all with your area but here in Washington we have a moratorium banning evictions with about the only exception is illegal activity which is hard to prove. I have an rv park and am unable to remove any tenants to the point that even squatters if they have been there two weeks are considered legal residence of the city . I had one person there hooked up to utility's who no one even knew so i unplugged her from the power. She called the cops and they made me plug her back in so i have to provide free power with no rent to a camper that remains unknown. Again that's Washington.
Sounds like MA. Eviction moratorium with no end but no foreclosure moratorium. OP is month to month on slip rental. That does not sound like a residential lease so I doubt he is covered by moratorium. Worst case is they haul him into court and that becomes a public record. A permanent public record.

If he can't negotiate a one month extension, then he needs to find a general anchorage.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:46 PM   #16
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Just PMed you, Martin.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:00 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
Sounds like MA. Eviction moratorium with no end but no foreclosure moratorium. OP is month to month on slip rental. That does not sound like a residential lease so I doubt he is covered by moratorium. Worst case is they haul him into court and that becomes a public record. A permanent public record.

If he can't negotiate a one month extension, then he needs to find a general anchorage.
Where we ran into trouble was where you live is you home even if its an rv so i am sure if hes living in the boat at least some time he will be protected if the state put in place these policies.Its all geared to not making folks homeless. I argued they could just move the rv off site and the court came back with is there home even if temporary so im sure it applies to boats so long as some time is spent living on them.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #18
Guru

I don't have any suggestions but if you need a capable deck hand to help you move the boat locally I can be available.

EDIT:
How about along the sponge docks someplace, such as behind "sponge o rama"? Just thinking that since there is VERY little business in the area right now they may be interested in some other income.
Might be worth a walk down the street all they can say is no.
Unless you've already been there.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #19
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna 6882 View Post
Where we ran into trouble was where you live is you home even if its an rv so i am sure if hes living in the boat at least some time he will be protected if the state put in place these policies.Its all geared to not making folks homeless. I argued they could just move the rv off site and the court came back with is there home even if temporary so im sure it applies to boats so long as some time is spent living on them.
In Washington Marina's fall under Commercial Property. It would take a court case to determine if the eviction moratorium applied. Right now the Marina could evict you and you would need to take them to court.

In the case of you RV park, you approached the situation uneducated. You should have pulled the power and called the police to remove trespassers. You would show the police that you have no lease agreement with the people and they would need to prove that they lived there by showing mail with the address. You still have a legal claim against the squatters but getting money out the homeless is a waste of effort. You might still be able to remove them but it might be more expensive than its worth.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
In Washington Marina's fall under Commercial Property. It would take a court case to determine if the eviction moratorium applied. Right now the Marina could evict you and you would need to take them to court.

In the case of you RV park, you approached the situation uneducated. You should have pulled the power and called the police to remove trespassers. You would show the police that you have no lease agreement with the people and they would need to prove that they lived there by showing mail with the address. You still have a legal claim against the squatters but getting money out the homeless is a waste of effort. You might still be able to remove them but it might be more expensive than its worth.

I may not have been clear. I was informed they were there and since i dont live there drove over and pulled the power and water. This women comes running out of the rv saying i cant do that then claimed my wife assaulted her with a pair of pliers she was holding used to shut of water.I ask her who she was and she refused to say. I than pulled the meter so it would do her no good to plug back in. The police were called and informed me i was on thin ground and could be exposed to a lawsuit. I called my attorney and put him on speaker for the cops. He informed them he was willing to take the risk. I then left and when i went back a new meter was installed with a note from the power company not to touch there equipment and they were on instructions from the governor not to have anyone without power. They called a few days later asking for authorization to put the new meter on the parks account. I told them no and if they wanted to provide power on there dime knock themselves out. She did leave a few weeks later but abandoned the rv.

Tags
berth, help needed, marina