Trip planning LI sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is why I am going alone. After 40 plus years of marriage, it is long past time for me to go. For a number of reasons, she will stay in our house and I will happily travel alone with my dog. We made far better parents that we ever did a couple. Over the past several years I awakened and realized, everything she said was wrong with me was just our incompatibility. She uses passive aggressive rage to get her way and dictate she is always right. She also has never let go of any of it. Just last week I got the "for 46 years you" My answer was I will be out of your way soon.

Here is why I am going alone. After 40 plus years of marriage, it is long past time for me to go. For a number of reasons, she will stay in our house and I will happily travel alone with my dog. We made far better parents that we ever did a couple. Over the past several years I awakened and realized, everything she said was wrong with me was just our incompatibility. She uses passive aggressive rage to get her way and dictate she is always right. She also has never let go of any of it. Just last week I got the "for 46 years you" My answer was I will be out of your way soon.

Everybody has their own stories and nobody should say what's right or wrong for another couple. Personally I don't know why people stay together when they are clearly incompatible or unhappy, but that's just my opinion. I was lucky to find someone I am still very happy with after about 45 years. My brother is a year older than me and married almost 40 years. They were never happy together and lived separate lives but stayed married. Maybe it was just to raise the kids, but I think that's not wise either as they see the truth anyway. He divorced a few years ago and met someone new. He has never seemed happier and is a changed person. It's never to late.

My wife and I are year round live aboards in Essex, CT at Dauntless. Feel free to send me a PM if you want some company at the Gris or need a car ride somewhere. Love the journey that you will be taking. We have done that trip a few times on boat deliveries so a slow transit should be awesome. Lots of great info on here.

I'll interpret; Gris is the Griswold Inn, world renowned pub for people who brag at the bar about sailing exploits. :)

Ok departure day is near 6 days away. I have decided to go down the NY side of Long Island Sound. Can I get a list of pet friendly anchorages starting at Gardners Bay and ending near the East River. Thank you for the great knowledge. When I return I will do the CT side so it is not missed.

Spent last night in Cold Springs. Totally benign weather so good night’s sleep. Oyster and west have oyster beds and moorings. It looks like the moorings were intentionally spread out to make anchoring problematic. They got their wish. It’s a place I’d avoid except when anchoring in cold springs is feasible.

Ok departure day is near 6 days away. I have decided to go down the NY side of Long Island Sound. Can I get a list of pet friendly anchorages starting at Gardners Bay and ending near the East River. Thank you for the great knowledge. When I return I will do the CT side so it is not missed.

How many days are you planning from Gardner's Bay to the East River? Lots of strong tidal currents in the East end of the sound. Best to time it so you are not fighting them if you can. Also, it adds some distance if you are thinking of going to Gardners bay. Might be better to stop somewhere like Fishers Island then cross the sound to Mattituck. There nothing between the eastern tip of L.I. and Mattituck, so that would likely be your first stop regardless.

Last edited:
Cold Springs, ? or Cold Spring Harbor, NY?

I'm guessing Cold Spring Harbor on Long Island. In that area, I'd probably choose Lloyd harbor. Just to the west of East Beach is a large mooring field with some anchorage on the North side. Well protected and you could take a dog to the beach by dinghy.

Cold Spring Harbor.

Attachments

• DDCF85C8-46D3-42F5-996B-0D627E436DF2.jpg
    DDCF85C8-46D3-42F5-996B-0D627E436DF2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
My old stomping ground. As a youngin' I was a launch driver at Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club. As staff I was not allowed in the clubhouse.

Years later I conducted a seminar on the Marion-Bermuda Race preparation and as a guest stayed in the "Commodores Room" upstairs.

I liked that.

I would start at Coecles Harbor and/or Three Mile Harbor. Both great anchorages.
Next is a longish run to Mattituck Inlet.
Then Port Jefferson, Oyster Bay, and just before the East River is Manhasset Bay (Port Washington). Free town moorings at Port Washington.

Watch the tides as the farther down the sound you go the greater the swing.

Happy cruising

I agree that Coecles and 3 Mile are great stops, but a little bit out of the way when traveling from RI to NY. I thought it might make more sense to stay on the CT side till entering the sound, then cross over to Mattituck and the other places you mentioned. Lots of options between between PJ and NY after Mattituck.

Tide/currents make a impact on speed and fuel burn. I tend to plan to maximize benefit and minimize adverse effects. So figure how far I want to go on a given day, factor in available easy harbors but most importantly factor in which side will have the least impact from wind/waves. Usually that’s the Connecticut side. But when things are coming in off the Atlantic it’s the Long Island side. So before starting off look at the 5d weather and usually pick a side on that basis. Then pick harbors based on what I want for a days work. Of course when stuff is running from the race down the length of the sound or the reverse there’s no good side. Then easy harbors with good protection takes priority.

Last edited:
Thank you. We made Fishers Island in pea soup fog yesterday and anchored in East Harbor. Today we made Mattituck and are anchored up. This is a great anchorage.

Sounds good Matt, you are on your way. I assume Port Jefferson next? I would probably be there today but it's opening day ceremonies at my yacht club so we are staying for that. Nice looking weather for the next few days at least. If you enter PJ, follow the shoreline on your right hand side. When it opens up into the harbor, follow the red/green private bouys. There is a large mooring field on your left. Anywhere on the right side is good for anchoring. The depth varies and doesn't match the charts but there is plenty of water. I generally try to anchor in about 20 ft but some areas are twice that. Note that there is almost 7 ft of tide. When you plan to get to Hell's Gate, try to arrive there at the time of high tide and you'll ride the currents in and out and not have a lot of standing waves to deal with. Good luck!

Ill be out on City Island all day tomorrow installing a ACR and looking at a starter hanging up. If you need any supplies and passing close let me know.

I made it to Port Jefferson, Thank you Backinblue for the clear directions to a nice anchorage. Do you have any advice for Oyster Harbor or a better place to get ready for East River?

Heading to Port Jeff today, eta about noon. Just a day trip. I can try to give you a shout on ch 16 when on the water. What time are you leaving?

I've never been to Oyster bay. I'm sure it's good or maybe try to get a mooring in Port Washington. The farthest west I've anchored in the Sound is Lloyds harbor which is just east of Oyster bay. It's somewhat similar to PJ in that there is the East beach peninsula on your right. Follow along that shorline into Lloyds harbor which is a big mooring field. Guessing it would be busy today but emptying out tonight. The beach would be good for the dog. There is some anchoring on the north side of the mooring field. Not a real lot of room but you should be fine. Not as roomy or deep as PJ but a good spot. You could also "borrow" a private mooring. Not someting I normally do, but I know others that do all the time. You'll have plenty of time to get to Hell's Gate as the high tide is late afternoon if that's what you're planning.

I've got a mooring reserved at Oyster Bay Marine Center for tonight. My next question is once in NY Harbor where can I anchor and have a place to get the dog ashore?

I've got a mooring reserved at Oyster Bay Marine Center for tonight. My next question is once in NY Harbor where can I anchor and have a place to get the dog ashore?

Behind the Statue of Liberty to anchor and there is a boat ramp here. I’ve seen sailboats anchored right in here. Look for the red pin in my picture all the way to left center.

Attachments

• F193D670-C8A7-4341-8FA8-586752EF913C.jpg
    F193D670-C8A7-4341-8FA8-586752EF913C.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 20
Another shot.
This shows Ellis island to the north and Liberty island to the south. Where the circle is there is a public boat ramp. I’ve seen boats anchored right near that boat ramp in the cove area.

Attachments

• 1BBA7089-EE43-4CA4-AEF5-5770FD4BD61D.jpg
    1BBA7089-EE43-4CA4-AEF5-5770FD4BD61D.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 16
I've never anchored in NY harbor. I would prefer to bite the bullet and stay at Liberty Landing for a night. It's not cheap but it is very nice. You may be able to anchor behind the statue, but the harbor is very busy so not a quiet spot and not sure about where to bring your dog. You are about to spend a year on the water, I can't imagine that a few hundered $ should make or break you. If it makes for a pleasant stay it's worth it IMO. I'm not sure that trying to anchor as much as possible is the best way to enjoy your trip. Some of the people you meet could make a big difference in your experience.

No the cost wont break me. Anchoring behind Lady Liberty is a bucket list thing for me. Thank you for all of the help with my first week of traveling.

That wasn't the main point, but good luck anyway.

Before doing the longish hop down NJ coast to cape may always anchor in Atlantic Highlands. Always good holding, easy place to start from and avoid traffic until that second cup of caffeine hits in. Very quiet at night so a good nights sleep.
Even going north that’s where we stop. Then jump across to the Brooklyn side to do the East River and Hellgate. Find the ferries, especially the small ones, the most troublesome. Like to monitor 9,13,16 going through NYC area.

I've never anchored in NY harbor. I would prefer to bite the bullet and stay at Liberty Landing for a night. It's not cheap but it is very nice. You may be able to anchor behind the statue, but the harbor is very busy so not a quiet spot and not sure about where to bring your dog. You are about to spend a year on the water, I can't imagine that a few hundered $ should make or break you. If it makes for a pleasant stay it's worth it IMO. I'm not sure that trying to anchor as much as possible is the best way to enjoy your trip. Some of the people you meet could make a big difference in your experience.

Agreed on Liberty Landing and not anchoring there - did it once and that was one time too many.

Agreed on Liberty Landing and not anchoring there - did it once and that was one time too many.

Kind of funny that some people ask questions here and when they don't like the answer they ignore it and do what they want anyway. Oh well, can only try to help.

Backinblue, I appreciate you advice I just don't want to go to a marina tonight, I want to anchor near the Statue. Charlieo has a perfect spot at Liberty Park. Another Looper has stayed there many times and also recommended it. I was not ignoring you when I am cruising I don't look at my social media. Time to pull up anchor and head to the East River.

Have a good trip, good day for it.

Back
Top Bottom