Towing Dinghy and Marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trihartsfield

Vessel Name
Ethos of the T
Vessel Make
26 Sedan Tollycraft
In planning a trip to the San Juans next year we are going to update our dinghy to a Takacat and a 20hp engine. Our current setup we do not like because it makes it difficult to enter and exit the boat, Livingston attached to small swim platform. We also want a dinghy that will allow us to explore and the current set up is not conducive for that.

For those that tow their dinghy what do you do when entering a marina?

What do you do if you are going to stay the night in a marina?

What are other challenges are there in towing a dinghy?

Thanks

Chris

There are two ways to dock with a towable:

1) Have a passenger transfer to the dinghy, detach the dinghy and bring it over to the dinghy dock

2) Stop outside of the marina, then transfer the tow line to the bow cleat. Now you can back into the slip with the dinghy on the bow. You will need to restrain the dinghy from floating out into the thoroughfare. NOTE: This really only works if you have finger piers or have no intention of using the dinghy while in the marina.

The procedure is to stop before you get into the marina and tie the tender up next to you.(Same if you are going to anchor). When you call in for a slip assignment tell them you are towing a tender that will be tied along side of you. You do not want to be paying extra moorage to have you tender tied behind you. I have not had a marina charge extra to have my tender tied next to me. Also tell the marina which side you would prefer to tie to.

Other things to keep in mind:
Don't forget you are towing it behind you. You do not want to back over your tow line.

The procedure is to stop before you get into the marina and tie the tender up next to you.(Same if you are going to anchor). When you call in for a slip assignment tell them you are towing a tender that will be tied along side of you. You do not want to be paying extra moorage to have you tender tied behind you. I have not had a marina charge extra to have my tender tied next to me. Also tell the marina which side you would prefer to tie to.

Don't forget you are towing it behind you. You do not want to back over your tow line.

We tow a dinghy. You can never forget that sucker is back there, or you're going to get the line in the prop! Especially, when docking at a marina. Don't ask me how I am so sure! :D

Lots of different ways, there is not one and only right way.

Depends on the marina, where you are docking, your boat, the dingy

We tow a dinghy. You can never forget that sucker is back there, or you're going to get the line in the prop! Especially, when docking at a marina. Don't ask me how I am so sure! :D

Unless you have a very fast boat there is no need to put your dinghy further back when towing than at the end of a short painter. It should be measured from the bow fitting to your nearest prop and back to the cleat on the mother ship nearest the same prop. If it is not long enough to get fouled, it will still be long enough to tow.

Unless you have a very fast boat there is no need to put your dinghy further back when towing than at the end of a short painter. It should be measured from the bow fitting to your nearest prop and back to the cleat on the mother ship nearest the same prop. If it is not long enough to get fouled, it will still be long enough to tow.

I do not know what a short painter is.

How far back if you are cruising at 8-10 knots?

Thanks

I do not know what a short painter is.

How far back if you are cruising at 8-10 knots?

Thanks
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"A painter is a rope that is attached to the bow of a dinghy, or other small boat, and used for tying up or towing.[1] Ideally, the painter should float. If used on a boat with a propeller, the length of the painter should be shorter than the distance to the propeller, to prevent fouling the engine."

My cruise speed is 8. Max is 9. My Dingy painter is ~15', attaches to a cleat at the bottom of my davit brace, so ~1' above the swim grid. Distance over the edge of the swim grid, down to the prop, then up to the bow fitting on the dinghy is ~16'. Never a problem towing at that distance, Never worry about fouling the painter, rarely even concerned about its location, unless I end up backing in. If so, I can easily move it to a better location.

Last edited:

I guess that depends on where you are towing. We've towed our dingy over to the Bahamas a couple of times. You sure don't want that tow line to be too short when doing that. You want that dinghy to be going up the wave behind you when you are going up the wave, and going down it, when you are going down your wave.

There are few things more unsettling than seeing your dinghy surfing down a wave and heading right for your transom.

Last edited:
I don't tow a inflatable, we have a fiberglass Arima. So I want it tied along side, not out back on a short line.

I guess that depends on where you are towing. We've towed our dingy over to the Bahamas a couple of times. You sure don't want that tow line to be too short when doing that. You want that dinghy to be going up the wave behind you when you are going up the wave, and going down it, when you are going down your wave.

There are few things more unsettling than seeing your dinghy surfing down a wave and heading right for your transom.

As with many other topics, you have hit on a situation where "it depends".

So as not to have the data from the situation you describe, I generally lift my dinghy when I plan to cross Georgia Strait.

One must always take local conditions into account.

In planning a trip to the San Juans next year we are going to update our dinghy to a Takacat and a 20hp engine. Our current setup we do not like because it makes it difficult to enter and exit the boat, Livingston attached to small swim platform. We also want a dinghy that will allow us to explore and the current set up is not conducive for that.

For those that tow their dinghy what do you do when entering a marina?

What do you do if you are going to stay the night in a marina?

What are other challenges are there in towing a dinghy?

Thanks

Chris

TOWING A DINGHY INTO A MARINA

1/ You need a polypropylene tow line floating line).
2/ Shorten your towline to about 5 - 7 feet before you approach the marina.
3/ If marina is in communication with you ask or tell them whether you want to dock "stern to" or "bows to"
3/a/ If stern to, then take the towline (which needs to be long enough for this exercise) towards the bow and secure towline off your bow, again about 5-7' of free line off the bows.
3/b/ If bows to, then proceed to the dock
3/c/ If no instruction given then proceed as if you are docking bows to. When you get to your slip be prepared to walk the dinghy alongside the boat to the bow if you decide to moor stern to
4/IMPORTANT. The crew will likely be handling the dinghy. If the crew needs to walk the dinghy along the boat to the bows the skipper can help by stopping the boat, momentarily putting it in reverse to assist the dinghy flow to the bows.
5/ Dock the boat, the dinghy will take care of itself
6/ Drop the dinghy outboard into the water so that the prop is protected and will not cause damage
7/ secure the dinghy so that it cannot damage itself or neighboring boats
8/ Plug in and have a cocktail.
~A

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Since next year will be our first trip in the San Juans I want to be as prepared as possible with as much information as possible so we can be safe, not interfere with other boaters and enjoy ourselves.

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Since next year will be our first trip in the San Juans I want to be as prepared as possible with as much information as possible so we can be safe, not interfere with other boaters and enjoy ourselves.

Well said!

Since it will be your first trip to the SJI here are some more tips;

• The marinas tend to fill up quickly and some are not taking reservations. If you can make reservations ahead of time do so. The best time to show up without a reservation is around Noon. This is the time that departing boats need to leave that day. Your boat's size is an advantage, plenty of spots for a 26' to slide into.
    If you are trying and failing to get into Friday Harbor, Parks Bay is adjacent to it a mile or two away and is a pretty ideal anchorage, except you cant go ashore - perfect for hunkering down before trying to get into FH the next day, or with a capable dinghy, taking your dinghy into FH for provisioning/shops. The anchorages immediately outside FH are deep water and crowded. Parks Bay is never crowded (perhaps it will be after this post!).
    Deer Harbor is a fun marina, lots of socializing, as is Roche on the guest pier (which is where your boat will likely be due to size)
    My list of my must dos in the SJI: Hike from Reid/Prevost Harbor to the Lighthouse, Stuart Island; Spend an hour or a day and a picnic on Skull Island, Orcas Island; visit English Camp, Roche, San Juan Island, and then hike Young Hill on a clear day for a spectacular view of the islands.
    If you have bikes, ride to Shark Reef from Fishermens Bay, Lopez Island

Well said!

Since it will be your first trip to the SJI here are some more tips;

• The marinas tend to fill up quickly and some are not taking reservations. If you can make reservations ahead of time do so. The best time to show up without a reservation is around Noon. This is the time that departing boats need to leave that day. Your boat's size is an advantage, plenty of spots for a 26' to slide into.
    If you are trying and failing to get into Friday Harbor, Parks Bay is adjacent to it a mile or two away and is a pretty ideal anchorage, except you cant go ashore - perfect for hunkering down before trying to get into FH the next day, or with a capable dinghy, taking your dinghy into FH for provisioning/shops. The anchorages immediately outside FH are deep water and crowded. Parks Bay is never crowded (perhaps it will be after this post!).
    Deer Harbor is a fun marina, lots of socializing, as is Roche on the guest pier (which is where your boat will likely be due to size)
    My list of my must dos in the SJI: Hike from Reid/Prevost Harbor to the Lighthouse, Stuart Island; Spend an hour or a day and a picnic on Skull Island, Orcas Island; visit English Camp, Roche, San Juan Island, and then hike Young Hill on a clear day for a spectacular view of the islands.
    If you have bikes, ride to Shark Reef from Fishermens Bay, Lopez Island

Thank you very much for the information.

River rescue rope is available online in a variety of construction, diameters, lengths, and colors. Used for SAR and as standard safety equipment for kayaking/rafting. Typically all or partially polypropylene so it floats. Advantage is that working load is stated and you can buy it to fit your application. We like to make up our own lines and use it for dinghy painter and rescue slings.

Check how the dinghy/motor combination will tow at cruising speeds. I can't tow my current RIB at faster than 6 knots without its stern getting dangerously low. My previous dinghy towed great. I would guess the Takacat would do well but a 20hp outboard is pretty heavy.

Last edited:
I think the person who said “it depends” is spot on. If i take a fairly Long trip 100+ miles i will change the length of the painter a few times during the trip.

Changes are really due to wave size and direction, as well as the boats speed.

I like my dinghy like I like my lures. Riding the backside of the wake behind me. Get clean water, free of spray from boat busting waves etc….

Now I've uploaded that pic 2 times and have no idea why it is rotated. (Just FYI)

Attachments

• 8AFA5810-DEA9-499B-9810-ACAEB2DBE6FC.jpg
    8AFA5810-DEA9-499B-9810-ACAEB2DBE6FC.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I have seen polypropylene rope mentioned a few times. It won't sink on it's own but it is not bouyant enough to completely prevent it from being sucked under by stong prop wash. In some cases, a pool noodle works well to really keep it above water, you need to keep the leading end above water or taped up to give it a longer life but it is a cheap trick.

I normally don’t tow a dinghy, but when I do I adjust the length of the tow line to give me the least force. This is judged by feel as I’m adjusting the length. It is amazing how much difference a few feet can make on how strong the dinghy is pulling.

Towing or not towing is not how I see it.

My experiences have been both depending on circumstances.

Now granted some people shouldn't...then again, some should barely leave the dock.

Is there a particular tow line/painter set up that works better? For example do the dingy's pull better with the line from the aft cleats that goes to one rope or from a single rope from the center of the transom?

I hate polypro and never use it.

When motoring our sailboat the dinghy is always going down our wake which creates much less drag. In the trawler the throttles don't seem to notice drag, tides, currents etc :)

With an inflatable I usually just pull it up tight enough that the painter can't even get in the water. With our hard dinghy we usually have someone either on the swim platform or in the dinghy waiting for us to finish docking and then tie up wherever makes sense.

As everyone mentions - you just don't want to get a line wrapped around a prop or have your dinghy bash into your boat.

Wait a sec! You also don't want to lose your dinghy! It's easy to forget it is back there and not notice it is gone till it's really gone.

We have often envied RIB's or nice big solid dinghies with oh, maybe a center console and upholstered seats and electric start and built-in cargo boxes and electric davits - but I have to say, even though taking off the outboard and hoisting our 10' inflatable dinghy upside down over the bow rail is a big pain in the neck, this conversation is making me glad we have what we have. Challenging enough to get myself into a tight slip in an unfamiliar marina on a windy day without worrying about a towed dinghy bobbing around back there somewhere.

We tow a 17’ skiff all the time. Have had some close calls, have swamped the dink. Advise to install self draining scuppers in the dinghy whereby it drains just moving forward. Also advise before any long passage to wrap the carburetor with plastic wrap to prevent water ingestion.

At marinas tell them you are towing when you make a reservation and ask for a face dock or side tie if available, then tie the tow on mothership’s hip. Alternately ask to drop off the tow at the fuel dock before heading to slip. Get a good double bridle from Ropes Unlimited in Ft Lauderdale, and mount tow eyes near the waterline on both sides of tow.

Put the tow back behind vessel on the upside of the second wave, this keeps the line mostly taut and helps with wear. We tow at 8 knots, but I have often seen convertible towing at 24 +.

We put a second battery in the tow and an LED white light so we can see the tow at night and from the bridge aft camera. Also a GPS finder in the tow in case we lose it.

Last edited:
We tow a 17’ skiff all the time. Have had some close calls, have swamped the dink. Advise to install self draining scuppers in the dinghy whereby it drains just moving forward. Also advise before any long passage to wrap the carburetor with plastic wrap to prevent water ingestion.

At marinas tell them you are towing when you make a reservation and ask for a face dock or side tie if available, then tie the tow on mothership’s hip. Alternately ask to drop off the tow at the fuel dock before heading to slip. Get a good double bridle from Ropes Unlimited in Ft Lauderdale, and mount tow eyes near the waterline on both sides of tow.

Put the tow back behind vessel on the upside of the second wave, this keeps the line mostly taut and helps with wear. We tow at 8 knots, but I have often seen convertible towing at 24 +.

We put a second battery in the tow and an LED white light so we can see the tow at night and from the bridge aft camera. Also a GPS finder in the tow in case we lose it.

Thanks for the information. The engine I am buying is FI and I will have a waterproof cover for it, even when docked, and the Takacat has a self draining transom.

This forum is great with everyone's willingness to help out. The boating community is great.

Chris

I have wrapped the dinghy line 3 times now in my not so stellar career. You'd think I would learn a little faster. Once I was just off the cliffs of Catalina and we got in the middle of a pod of dolphin. As they pasted to my stern, well, you know, I put it in reverse to stay in contact and needed to immediately don by mask, snorkel and fins to cut the line free of the prop and shaft while drifting ominously towards the rocks.

My buddy has a Boston Whaler for a tender. Decided to put a brand new 50hp Yamaha on her. I think the total cost was about $11,000. He took it to Catalina and picked up a mooring. Tied the dink bow and stern across the swim step. That night some big waves came in and his swim step flipped the Whaler over. The Yamaha took a long swim underwater.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom