Tornadoes hit Island Cove Marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
angus99 wrote:Jobs, family, friends, love of the area, cost of living, topography, climate (other than tornadoes), optimism . . . to name a few reasons.*
******* Although you list some pretty important things, are they more important than financial ruin or (God forbid) death?

angus99 wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:angus99 wrote:
Unfortunately, tornadoes are starting be a rite of spring in this area.

And if natural global warming is indeed, upon us, will you stay and suffer the same fate every spring? These tornadoes seem to be getting stronger every year. Why would folks stay and face a similar fate annually?
Jobs, family, friends, love of the area, cost of living, topography, climate (other than tornadoes), optimism . . . to name a few reasons. *(And I'll pass on debating whether this is "natural" or not.) *Cheers!

*These things go in cycles. *When the jet stream dips down to the South, we get many of the storms that usually would be going through Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and the midwest like Ohio and Indiana. *They are really quite rare in the East Tennessee and North GA areas. *West and Middle Tennessee usually get more.

As this weather pattern changes, things will get back to normal. *We are always subject to violent thunder storms with powerful down drafts. *Most of the eastern US is subject to those. *Check out some on the Chesapeake Bay. *They are to be respected.

We usually just get the remnants of hurricanes. *The last couple of seasons have given us much to deal with. *If you will remember we had a large white pine tree across Lou's mountain cabin last year. *That changed our plans to get to the Chesapeake. *All in all, it's a great place to live for many of the reasons stated above plus more. *One of the best features is that it is one days driving time from the Gulf Coast, FL Keys and east coast, Carolina coast, and Chesapeake Bay. *So many choices. *We have white water, rivers, lakes, and the coasts within a days drive. *Not bad at all. *Four seasons and a mild climate make it nice.

All true, Don. What seems extreme is the severity of the outbreaks when the pattern shifts to the east. The 360 +/- tornadoes over a two day period last year was without precedent anywhere in the nation. Ditto with the strength of thunderstorms (in fact, I happened to be standing on the fuel dock at Island Cove last fall when a powerful storm blew in so quickly and violently several of us were looking for a funnel cloud). People who have lived here all their lives consistently talk about a major pattern of change.

Another attribute of the region I failed to mention is good, affordable housing (which I believe you had something to do with). :)

angus99 wrote:Another attribute of the region I failed to mention is good, affordable housing (which I believe you had something to do with). :)
*I owe an apology to Angus at this point.

My comment as to why you want to stay in a place that you get clobbered by tornadoes frequently, was clearly out of line. I've been to Tenn several times in my life and really loved the place. I guess my favorite town is Franklin since an old Navy buddy of mine lives there.

My comment was intended to remind people that, to me, life is the most important thing and everything else can be replaced. Given freezing temperatures, intense heat, constant rain, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc., the one that scares me the most is tornadoes. I will go out of my way to live in a region of the country where this particular threat is minimized.

Again, I'm sorry about my recent remarks questioning why you would want to live there.

Walt

SeaHorse II wrote:angus99 wrote:Another attribute of the region I failed to mention is good, affordable housing (which I believe you had something to do with). :)

My comment as to why you want to stay in a place that you get clobbered by tornadoes frequently, was clearly out of line. I've been to Tenn several times in my life and really loved the place. I guess my favorite town is Franklin since an old Navy buddy of mine lives there.

My comment was intended to remind people that, to me, life is the most important thing and everything else can be replaced. Given freezing temperatures, intense heat, constant rain, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc., the one that scares me the most is tornadoes. I will go out of my way to live in a region of the country where this particular threat is minimized.

Again, I'm sorry about my recent remarks questioning why you would want to live there.

Walt

*Walt,

You are one of the classiest guys on the forum.

CPseudonym wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:angus99 wrote:Another attribute of the region I failed to mention is good, affordable housing (which I believe you had something to do with). :)

Walt

*Walt,

You are one of the classiest guys on the forum.

That's a fact. Not everyone can swallow their pride and put forth a sincere apology.
smile.gif

Carey & Angus:

Thanks for the kind words but in the future I'm going to be extra vigilant about my posts, I really do feel like hell for what I wrote! Home is home, no matter where you live and I'm sure that people that live in that area are as proud of their home as I am of mine.

Woodsong wrote:
It is an entirely different thing to have ALL those issues looking right at me.

When I look at this picture of my 4550 though it just sends chills up my spine and I can't believe what I am looking at is my boat:
*Tony: Having cruised a little on a 45' Bayliner, I am saddened at the damage you sustained. They are, indeed a great boat.

The impact on your business really hits home to me as I was in business myself for 17 years and had my share of trials & tribulations. The boat can be fixed but the business will require more time and more loss of income until you can declare it successful.

May you have a speedy recovery in both instances.

SeaHorse II wrote:
Walt--- I think most or at least many of us understood what you were getting at with your post.* It's a natural reaction to wonder why one would choose to live in a place that was subject to natural disasters beyond the control of man.* I have asked this in semi-jest numerous times in other discussions about where we all live and boat.* "Why would anyone with a boat live in Florida?" for example.

But I like to think that all or most of us understand that even when someone asks that question they already know the answer as I know you did.

But I also think it was nice of you to go on to explain what you meant and that you did not mean to cast aspersions on how anyone choses to live their lives.** Craig and Carey are right on the money.* You truly are just about the classiest and most considerate and respectful contributer to this forum.

As for Tony there really isn't anything a person can say, I think, that can make the worry and concern and uncertainty about what comes next go away.* I can try to imagine how we would feel if our boat was damaged or destroyed but until it actually happens there's no way to really understand it.

So the best I can do is hope that the recovery and freeing of your vessels occurrs quickly, that the process goes smoothly, and that your insurance comapny, the yards, and everyone else who becomes involved in getting you back to where you want to be with your boating do their jobs quickly and competently and without causing you any additional hassle or grief.

SeaHorse II wrote:

Walt

That's good of you, Walt, but absolutely no offense taken. *I had a pretty good idea what you meant, but just felt I needed to list some of the things I love about this area.

As a newcomer to this forum--and a wannabe trawler owner one of these days--it's great to see that there are still places where courtesy and civility are valued.

All the best.

Angus

angus99 wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:

Walt

That's good of you, Walt, but absolutely no offense taken. *I had a pretty good idea what you meant, but just felt I needed to list some of the things I love about this area.

As a newcomer to this forum--and a wannabe trawler owner one of these days--it's great to see that there are still places where courtesy and civility are valued.

All the best.

Angus

Just don't spend a whole lot of time in OTDE
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
!

SeaHorse II wrote:

Walt
I too, didn't see the offensiveness of the post. *If you had made the same comments about me living in Miami, I'd have said "I wish I did feel it was home, but the constant threat of canes never lets me kick back and feel it."
**After my Admiral finishes her last diplomatic posting, we're outta here.

Back
Top Bottom