Top 5 reasons to dock bow in (for us)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bow in

1) to annoy inflexible stern firsters
2) to annoy self righteous stern firsters
3) to annoy all knowing stern firsters
4) to annoy my way or the highway stern firsters
5) to annoy condescending stern firsters

So you're a jerk? (or you can't really handle your boat so you use this as an excuse).

Docking Bow In

I was taught a long time ago to dock bow in. The old salt told me when you take your boat out the weather will usually be good, so backing out is easy. Coming in you may experience bad weather, backing in more difficult. Which would you rather do in bad conditions. He had a point. Just something to consider.

I back in out of necessity. 1 screw, no thruster. It's a skill you can learn then it's not a problem.
BTW, too much talk about your bodily functions. If you are doing that anchored out, fine. If you are doing it in a marina, you're lazy and a jerk.

I stern in most of the time. As I have a stern docking station on the back deck and travel solo most of the time it's much easier. I can attach a spring line while backing into the slip without leaving the controls. I have a unobstructed view of the back of the slip as opposed to estimating the distance with the bow blocking the view. Then there is the ease of stepping off the swim platform onto the dock to secure a stern line.

Yup, far easier to dock stern in with a properly setup boat. :angel:

Ted

It's always been "bow in" for me.

1) It's much easier
2) More privacy
3)side door on Starboard side only
4) Best view & fishing off the stern
5) short dock power cord
6) Dinghy ready to go

whoops, After the prior poster peeing off the stern, I thought an example was being given!!! (#4):hide:

i believe i back to port. my stern walks to port when backing.

"Wet suit warm up? Pour a container of warm water down the back. Instant warm up."

?
When surfing or diving i've looked for the warm water container folks... never been able to find em. :)

I alternate bow in or stern in every few months to try to equalize the wear and sun effect on my wax job. otherwise the port side gets the brunt of the long afternoon sun.

best answer yet. pragmatic. well done.

I back in out of necessity. 1 screw, no thruster. It's a skill you can learn then it's not a problem.
BTW, too much talk about your bodily functions. If you are doing that anchored out, fine. If you are doing it in a marina, you're lazy and a jerk.

"JERK" is Bryant's word of the day... well done. keep it up.

1) to annoy inflexible stern firsters
2) to annoy self righteous stern firsters
3) to annoy all knowing stern firsters
4) to annoy my way or the highway stern firsters
5) to annoy condescending stern firsters

Please allow me to submit Exibit A for reason #5:

So you're a jerk? (or you can't really handle your boat so you use this as an excuse).

My toilet paper roll dispenses from the top...you gonna wanna commence fisticuffs over that too? :D

Sheesh...

Last edited:
Backing in

wow... methinks thou dost protest too much

Methinks that if you think urinating in your slip, in your marina, next to other boats is ok rather than using your own head or the marina head then I’m glad I’m not docked next to you.

Backing in.

Please allow me to submit Exibit A for reason #5:

My toilet paper roll dispenses from the top...you gonna wanna commence fisticuffs over that too? :D

Sheesh...

Stupid comment.
Sheesh.

Only reason to back in is if the finger pier is of the short variety.

5. Our dinghy is towed behind us. We tie our dinghy to our dive platform. No room the other way
4. It's easier. Single screw Mainship 400 does not back anywhere close to straight. Its doable but everyone has to admit bow in is easy.
3. Peeing at night off the dive platform when stern in can be awkward for neighbors taking a stroll.
2. We have water and electric in the bow. Leaves the stern uncluttered. This is where most people hang out/pee.
And the number one reason to dock bow in is....
1. The view. (See pics) Pic 1 morning view. Pic 2 nighttime view. Pic 3 seawall and bushes view.

Anyone else?View attachment 105671View attachment 105672View attachment 105673

Number 1- The wind is blowing you into the slip. It works with the elements for most boats, as they tend to weather vane bow down wind.

There are two type of boaters. People who pee off there boats and people who lie about not peeing off there boats.
The same is true for surfers. Those who pee in their wetsuit and those who lie about peeing in their wetsuit.
:)
And people who pee in pools

I can honestly say, I have never peed off my boat but, SCUBA diving, don’t ask me about my wet suit.

If the finger pier is short and most of them in the Bahamas and Florida are, we need to back in or you have to crawl down the side of the boat which is usually 6-8 feet up, especially on floating docs.

I like bow in for privacy, but aft in for social.

I stern in most of the time. As I have a stern docking station on the back deck and travel solo most of the time it's much easier. I can attach a spring line while backing into the slip without leaving the controls. I have a unobstructed view of the back of the slip as opposed to estimating the distance with the bow blocking the view. Then there is the ease of stepping off the swim platform onto the dock to secure a stern line.

Yup, far easier to dock stern in with a properly setup boat. :angel:

Ted

Ted,

Very good points, and your set up is enviable, with a great cockpit station, large swing on the rudder, and skills of course.

I was considering modifying my Mainship 400 with at least a stern throttle, but if I have a GOOD deckhand/operator, I don't need it.

Now, I'll stern in or bow in depending on the conditions and do both at times, mostly single handed. The only time I have trouble is stern in with a difficult cross wind or current. Kinda like we had back in Tarpon Springs at the get together last Jan. Unfortunately my GF on that trip failed the deckhand duties so she was replaced. :D

Perhaps not as good as the Cherubini but overall, the single engine Mainship is quite maneuverable. However, for now, upgrading on hold....considering another boat.

While Sandpiper doesn't have a docking station at the stern, I have something almost as useful - my wife with two way communication in the cockpit. She tells me distances to the side and rear and tells me when and which direction to kick the stern. My wife ignores the suggestions from helpers on the dock and will not hand lines to helpers until I give the go ahead.

While Sandpiper doesn't have a docking station at the stern, I have something almost as useful - my wife with two way communication in the cockpit. She tells me distances to the side and rear and tells me when and which direction to kick the stern. My wife ignores the suggestions from helpers on the dock and will not hand lines to helpers until I give the go ahead.

I find it MUCH easier if I give the controls to my Admiral and let her operate the boat. I'm much better at throwing lines and telling her what to do. I operate the thrusters with a remote. Works excellent! And yes, we use headsets.

Agreed on the dock hands. While their intentions are good, they seldom know what to do. Perfer not to use them.

Just as a survey of local marinas:

Bahia Mar: 100% stern in.
Hall of Fame: One side is 50/50, the other side 100% stern in.
Las Olas: 70% in favor of stern in.
Coral Ridge: 80% bow in.
Pier 66: 95% stern in.
Harbourtowne: 100% stern in.
Royale Palm: 95% stern in.
Banyan Bay: 95% stern in.
Nautical Ventures: 99% stern in. One sailboat bow in and covered in canvas.
LMC: 100% stern in.
Marina Bay: 98% stern in on regular docks, but they have some side tie docks with two boats on each side and those are 80% bow in.

Nothing that says right or wrong, but most marinas appear to have a customary method and here the majority are stern in.

Up here, the local custom (with very few exceptions) is that powerboats back in (regardless of single or twin engine) and sailboats are bow in. Occasionally you'll see a powerboat bow in and very rarely you'll see a sailboat backed in.

Ted,

Very good points, and your set up is enviable, with a great cockpit station, large swing on the rudder, and skills of course.

I was considering modifying my Mainship 400 with at least a stern throttle, but if I have a GOOD deckhand/operator, I don't need it.

Now, I'll stern in or bow in depending on the conditions and do both at times, mostly single handed. The only time I have trouble is stern in with a difficult cross wind or current. Kinda like we had back in Tarpon Springs at the get together last Jan. Unfortunately my GF on that trip failed the deckhand duties so she was replaced. :D

That was a good trip! While the virus situation doesn't look promising, I would definitely like to go back in January.

Glad you were able to complete deckhand interviews and evaluations in a timely fashion. Don't want to lose a boating season over something like that.

Ted

I like to stern in. So people know I can. Then I drop my dinghy on the dock. Then drag it into the water :) Bb-dock-update-103019-rp-768x1024.jpeg

That was a good trip! While the virus situation doesn't look promising, I would definitely like to go back in January.

Glad you were able to complete deckhand interviews and evaluations in a timely fashion. Don't want to lose a boating season over something like that.

Ted

Ted,

Would love to repeat that trip, worked out well. Perhaps I'll have more time by then. Heck, maybe I'll have a new boat.

Keep in touch.

Just as a survey of local marinas:

Bahia Mar: 100% stern in.
Hall of Fame: One side is 50/50, the other side 100% stern in.
Las Olas: 70% in favor of stern in.
Coral Ridge: 80% bow in.
Pier 66: 95% stern in.
Harbourtowne: 100% stern in.
Royale Palm: 95% stern in.
Banyan Bay: 95% stern in.
Nautical Ventures: 99% stern in. One sailboat bow in and covered in canvas.
LMC: 100% stern in.
Marina Bay: 98% stern in on regular docks, but they have some side tie docks with two boats on each side and those are 80% bow in.

Nothing that says right or wrong, but most marinas appear to have a customary method and here the majority are stern in.

Holy crow, who walked the docks for all that data? LOL

Even with sat analysis, that's a lot of time spent counting itty bitty pixels.:banghead:

While Sandpiper doesn't have a docking station at the stern, I have something almost as useful - my wife with two way communication in the cockpit.
I had exactly that same kind of helper until she got ill a year and a half ago. My boat is now for sale as I cannot replace her.

Attachments

• Renee.jpg
    Renee.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Renee at the helm.jpg
    Renee at the helm.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom