Is there any new marinas in the pipeline in usa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things like restaurants aren't always a bad thing. The marina we're in is a working yard. They've been working to make their docks nicer, etc. over the last few years and have put in a few more amenities, but nothing that takes away from the basics or adds much cost (no pools or anything).

They also have a bar / restaurant right on the river next to the gas dock. The restaurant is all of 500 feet from the lift pit, yet the people sitting at the bar during the day don't seem to mind the noise of travelifts and other equipment running around the yard nearby. There are only a handful of other waterfront bars in the area, so the restaurant pulls in a whole lot of extra money beyond what the marina and yard makes otherwise.

A new "Marina" is being built in Palm Coast, Flagler County:
Marina del Palma is a residential marina, you buy a lot, then build a house.
The Marina will dry stack
your boat, up to 30' in a boat house.
Larger boats can buy a slip.
We bought a lot there last year and are planning to build.
https://www.marinadelpalma.com/

There’s rack storage at SH in Plymouth. Filled with small boats. If it wasn’t there they be trailered. At least in that town trivial impact on slip availability.
It says “America’s Home Town” on all the traffic signs here. Admittedly I’m confused. Even after living here for decades when someone says I’m going to the city I think they mean Manhattan.

There’s rack storage at SH in Plymouth. Filled with small boats. If it wasn’t there they be trailered. At least in that town trivial impact on slip availability.
It says “America’s Home Town” on all the traffic signs here. Admittedly I’m confused. Even after living here for decades when someone says I’m going to the city I think they mean Manhattan.

Wifey B: Saw the signs when we were there. Wanted to take a marker and correct them, but didn't do so. Sort of like all the places declare themselves best or All American city based on one year long ago. We saw the rock and then moved on. Jamestown, of course we saw their claims and St. Augustine, then the Lost Colony in Manteo. :)

Since I'm posting already, I'll jump in for hubby and say the early rack storage was small boats but nothing today preventing much larger boats on racks other than the cost. I'd sure rather have the boat carried on a cradle than fork lift. I use to get worried every time ours was brought out or taken in on fork lift. Fortunately it was done most times before we arrived or after we left. :)

Manhattan? As in Kansas? :rofl:

And to those in the other boroughs, all the city is the NY, but to those in Manhattan, only Manhattan counts as NYC. :)

Wow please don’t catch an attitude. Just pulling your chain for a attempt for a smile.

BTW grew up on the lower east side. Worked at downstate kings county and lived in Brooklyn heights then. The locals also “went to the city. No they weren’t talking about the financial sector of London :).

Last edited:
Wow please don’t catch an attitude. Just pulling your chain for a attempt for a smile.

BTW grew up on the lower east side. Worked at downstate kings county and lived in Brooklyn heights then. The locals also “went to the city. No they weren’t talking about the financial sector of London :).

Wifey B: Didn't you see all my smiles? :ermm:

There is not just the reduced slip rental due to the short season as winter land storage doesn't pay what slips do. There is reduced work for the yard and reduced sales in other ways such as no fuel sales during half the year. Staffing is a huge challenge when you have no work for a large part of your staff for half the year. It's a lot easier to run a profitable marina in a warm climate just like it's much easier to run ice cream and yogurt stores. Doesn't mean it's not possible in colder climates, just means fewer total sources of revenue for much of the year.

Sorry B, still not buying that argument. Length of season does not determine the price. For example, someone in CT may pay $6000 for a 6 month slip + $3000 for winter storage. Someone in North Carolina, might pay $3000 for a 12 month slip. Also the hauling/storing/launching creates lots of work opportunities for the marina crew including regular maintenance, winterizing, painting, zincs, upgrades, spring commisioning, etc., that happens in the off-season with more regularity than those who boat year-round. The shorter season helps the staffing issue as you can hire seasonal help like dock hands and gas attendants but not have to pay them in the winter. Often they are high school and college students. The higher skilled mechanics are rarely with nothing to do.

So I agree that there may be less sources of income in the winter, but why does that matter if they make up for it in the summer?

Last edited:
IMO, if you can afford it, and you want a ‘home base’, buy the slip. Over time and when you are ready to sell your boat, sell the slip separately. The boat is an asset and the slip is a different asset. It is. So. Very easy to raise the rental fee.

IMO, if you can afford it, and you want a ‘home base’, buy the slip. Over time and when you are ready to sell your boat, sell the slip separately. The boat is an asset and the slip is a different asset. It is. So. Very easy to raise the rental fee.

In many areas, that's unfortunately not an option. There are some places where you can buy a slip, but others where unless you buy waterfront property and install your own slip, there aren't any you can buy (they're all in marinas that rent them).

Attachments

• brooklyn basin rendering 4.jpg
    brooklyn basin rendering 4.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom