Summer Storage SW Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Afloat

Vessel Name
Grateful
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 HT
Can anyone recommend a safe marina or storage yard located near Punta Gorda for storing our trawler, May through November?

I live in Punta Gorda, at least in the winters, and there is only one haul out yard- Punta Gorda Marina, located inside the 41 bridge on the Peace River. But access is sometimes limited due to the shoaling channel leading in to it.

Don't even consider Riviera Marina south of town. It is a total dump.

The other marinas are probably full, but Laishleys' Marina would be the first to call. They do have moorings outside of the marina on the Peace River that may have space.

Much further away there is an inexpensive haulout and dry storage yard on the Caloosahatchee River NE of Ft Myers near La Belle- Glades Boat Storage. There are also several marinas along the Caloosahatchee. One, Port LaBelle Marina advertises $6/ft which would be cheap enough for a few months of slipping but I don't know if they have space.

David

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a safe marina or storage yard located near Punta Gorda for storing our trawler, May through November?

Owl Creek Boat Works which is just a ‘stones throw’ east of I-75 on the Caloosahatchee has covered storage in a basin separate from the river that necessitates a Travel Lift, so no surges. Also no sneaking out in the middle of the night afterwards. It’s the closest to the airport. I’ve found it an excellent yard to have work done, especially full paint jobs.

Last edited:
The PO of our new boat kept it indoors at River Forest Yachting Centers LaBelle facility every summer for years. His spot will now be open! He had great things to say about it.
BD

We kept ours at Safe Cove and had a good experience. They are organized, locked down, and keep a tight schedule. Plus you get a fresh water rinse for about 7 miles to the yard.
Ed

Owl Creek Marina

Thanks for all your suggestions. Anyone else out there with Owl Creek Marina summer storage experience. Also any thoughts about leaving it in a covered freshwater slip as opposed to dry storage?

I have. never seen a covered freshwater slip in SWFL. The hurricanes probably don't take kindly to the roofs :).

David

The PO of our new boat kept it indoors at River Forest Yachting Centers LaBelle facility every summer for years. His spot will now be open! He had great things to say about it.
BD

I just took that spot! LOL. Actually a week or so ago, and maybe not THAT spot - I’m too tall to get inside and I’m going to their Stuart location. I’m hauling out August 1 - October 31. Never, ever am I going to go through another Hurricane like Irma again with boat.

A second recommendation for Safe Cove. They have a very good staff and good security.

Thanks...

Thanks for all your suggestions...

I drove through Safe Cove yesterday. Very impressive looking facility. Neat and clean. Women in the office gave me an exact quote when I only asked for a ballpark. Water and electric looked to be plentiful. I see where they don’t allow pressure washing which is sort of a drawback. Must be a work around somehow?

Thanks for the response. We have reserved a covered space for
summer storage.

If you choose Owl Creek be very careful if getting work done. We had a very nasty surprise on our final bill that was much higher than the "estimate" for no apparent reason. PM me if you need more details.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom