Old 11-21-2021, 03:55 PM   #1
Guru

City: West coast
Suggestions for new construction boat shed

If you were building a new floating boat shed, are there any must or nice do's?

I'm thinking of power, water, walk around decks, maybe a mezzanine for storage (?), washer/drier. Remote control entry curtain.

Any other thoughts?
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:10 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
You are on the west coast, so I guess hurricanes won't be an issue. How will it be built to float- like a u shaped floating dock with sides and a roof? I just googled floating boat shed pics and found some that look like they are installed on a lake with no tide variation. But the west coast has significant tides, right?

It will hold a Fleming? That is one heck of a shed- at least 70' long x 25' width x 18' opening with roof peaking at 25'.

I am a little puzzled why you want to enclose a Fleming in a shed. I would want it out in the open so I could see and be seen.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
You are on the west coast, so I guess hurricanes won't be an issue. How will it be built to float- like a u shaped floating dock with sides and a roof? I just googled floating boat shed pics and found some that look like they are installed on a lake with no tide variation. But the west coast has significant tides, right?

It will hold a Fleming? That is one heck of a shed- at least 70' long x 25' width x 18' opening with roof peaking at 25'.

I am a little puzzled why you want to enclose a Fleming in a shed. I would want it out in the open so I could see and be seen.

David
Very good guesses on the dimensions. It actually would be 75' long.

Yes, tidal and with floats.

I know, I know The big disappointment is no hanging out at the marina as no views. But the teak will be happier.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
You might not want what I want but it’s more fun to say I don’t need it than to wish you had thought of it ahead of time.

I would want a gantry system of some kind. This would make it easy to do maintenance on the hard to reach areas like tHe eyebrow of the fly bridge.

I would like a compressor and some built in airlines. I would like a ramp that can be lowered across garage doorway.

I would love a pump out but if the marina isn’t plumbed the idea is worthless.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:16 PM   #5

Who builds these. I would want a marine structural engineer to approve the design. The wind loads on that shed are huge and have to be handled by floating decks on piles. Or maybe your site has enough width to use cables tied to underwater anchors.

David
Old 11-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #6
Guru

Thinking of a shed using similar construction to these. Different builder and location.

Old 11-21-2021, 09:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Having spent some time in two different Ladysmith boatsheds in our prior boat I agree they are really nice sheds. The remote control door curtain is great - no more struggling with the curtain just a garage door opener remote when you leave and when you come back. No leaving the curtain open while you are away on the boat. A mezzanine for extra storage is handy, leaving room on the main walk around deck for a work bench or?. Really good overhead lighting would be recommended as well. And you are right your teak will be very happy.
NComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Make multilevel walkways so you can access sides and bimini. Could be on one side and rotate boat. Real low level so you can polish hull.

Have seen floating sheds and fixed sheds with floating docks inside.

Build a nice bar, BBQ pit, etc.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I’d suggest you visit Tacoma, Seattle and Everett., WA. There are probably the largest number of boat sheds within a close proximity. Portland, OR should also work. Lots of private boathouses that should give you lots ideas.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:27 AM   #10
Guru

Here’s a 70’ shed that just sold. No mezzanine.
Attached Thumbnails
B05D2D78-4071-4ED2-88FA-6F90650644DF.jpg   F3FD3E26-64EC-47BB-BD73-8C0C79A29330.jpeg   0AF9E098-D2F3-459A-BEED-CB7C2A05BB53.jpeg   549597F9-560E-4136-B66E-727D64D0A21C.jpeg  
Old 01-06-2022, 09:17 AM   #11

Ugly as s%$#.

David
Old 01-06-2022, 09:28 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Ugly as s%$#.

David
As the saying goes, a lid for every pot.

Personally I like the aesthetics, but it’s rightfully function over looks. I mean, it’s a floating barn so not sure how you would make it “prettier” and still have it be strong and float.

I need to see one in person.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #13
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
I love the translucent side walls, the issue with a lot of sheds is the cave syndrome when the door is down. It looks really well put together. For the couple years we had a boat in the Portland ore. we had our boat under cover a year , then moved outside for the second year. I thought the shed would be the end all. I never thought of the issue with spider poop and how the shed would stay the temp of the water year round. It was like a refrigerator with the close to freezing Columbia river water. If I had the choice the only way I would go inside is if the boat was a varnish heavy boat and if it was a private shed so I could spray toxic death inside to control the damn spiders. Who knew spiders could poop so much it was as tough as cleaning up sea gull crap!
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:19 AM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Before buying a boathouse, it would take a couple days in the spring to clean the exterior of the boat. A lot of green and black stuff to wash off with bleach.

With boathouse storage, spring cleaning is done with a leaf blower for the accumulated dust.

Since purchasing the boathouse, the roofs been raised 4 feet, house widened 2 feet and lengthened 10 feet.

Additionally, new roof and side sheet metal plus new flotation.

And no, an engineer is not required to design boathouses. Knowledge of construction and examining existing boathouses is helpful.

Transluscent side panels is not a good idea. Boathouses on either side will obstruct sunlight and most marinas and Yacht Clubs discourage clear plastic panels because the plastic will melt or burn during fires. The thin steel siding supposedly slows the fire traveling to adjacent boathouses.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:20 AM   #15
Guru

The boathouse above has metal siding. The reflections make it look translucent.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:42 AM   #16

City: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Vessel Name: Stout
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Comments from a boat house owner of 6 years on the Columbia River in Portland, Or.

Construction of the house depends on your location. A protected area can have floatation like in Bowball’s picture, hopefully not much boat wake or wind waves. (Have seen Boat houses in protected coves up in Sidney BC are built like that.) On the Columbia we have both in our location as we are exposed to the main channel so most use a log raft with foam flotation to suite. Most also have a heavy duty 6’ deep steel yoke at the garage door end so you have no issues with your door tracks. If you use bug bombs at least once a year, then the spider poop is non existent. Also, the less ambient daylight in the house, the less bugs inside and then less spiders. The boat does get dusty but with hose bibs on each side of the boat well, it is easy to wash the boat.

Here is the NW, it rains a lot so if you can keep your boat covered in a boat house it cuts down on maintenance and makes it easy to do maintenance year round. If we want to stay overnight, we leave the garage door open and get a great sunset with a nice view. But most times we will just run upstream a couple of miles for a week end getaway. we have 9 8’ double tube LED lights inside the house so it is nice and bright. Moorage costs are in line with covered dock moorage in our area not counting the cost of the house.

I understand that a boat house is not for everyone, to each their own!
Old 01-06-2022, 03:20 PM   #17
Guru

City: Boston Area
I think I would want a large vent fan in mine so I wouldn't have to worry about engine exhaust if I wanted to run my boat inside the building.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:43 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Ugly as s%$#.

David
Not nice!

That is one of the better built, better looking boathouses I've seen.

It features lots of lateral and diagonal braces that many builders do not incorporate.

The main issue in the PNW with boathouses is snow load on the roof.

Wind is not as crucial since most boathouses reside in marinas with breakwaters and floating docks secured with numerous pilings. The houses are secured to the floating docks with chains.

One issue with wind is that extremely strong storm winds (60+ MPH sustained wind) lift the boathouse structure and if the floatation is not secured to the bottom of the boathouse, the floatation comes loose and float away. When the boathouse is dropped by the wind, the house settles deeper in the water from no floatation and the house is held up by the boat. Smaller boats sink.

We have not had wind of 60+ MPH in a long time. Back in the 90's during a huge storm, many boathouses sank from wind and many boats were damaged from the house landing on them.

Most boathouses now have the floatation bolted to the underside of the boathouse floor.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:25 PM   #19

Here is a pretty nice looking boathouse:

Water view- https://goo.gl/maps/mf5kTqzB93dbkQ2p6

Inside view- https://goo.gl/maps/Cf5Khwg4dJjBVuKY8

This of course is the former boat shed where wooden Trumpys were built in Annapolis before it was converted to a Chart House Restaurant. Still going strong 75 years later.

David
Old 01-06-2022, 04:35 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Here’s a 70’ shed that just sold. No mezzanine.
Is that wood inside? If so, I can't imagine that boathouse passing the fire codes adopted in many places. Typically wood isn't allowed in enclosures like that and a vented roof is required. Now, I'm use to the codes on units for multiple boats and may be less for a single boat. I do know on the lake we were on in NC, that would not have been allowed.

The PNW has more boathouses than other areas, but also more boathouse fires.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote