Old 01-06-2022, 06:03 PM   #21

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Look at the boat sheds at Twin Bridges, near Anacortes, too.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:14 PM   #22
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Yes, the framing is definitely wood. It was built in 1947 and Trumpy closed it in the late 70s. Chart House converted it to a restaurant and opened in 1978, but you would expect that all construction codes would have to be met during the conversion.

It again went through an interior renovation in 2003 after Hurricane Isabel damaged it.

It is a magnificent place to dine. It is also a great place from which to watch the Annapolis Christmas boat parade.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:20 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Is that wood inside? If so, I can't imagine that boathouse passing the fire codes adopted in many places. Typically wood isn't allowed in enclosures like that and a vented roof is required. Now, I'm use to the codes on units for multiple boats and may be less for a single boat. I do know on the lake we were on in NC, that would not have been allowed.

The PNW has more boathouses than other areas, but also more boathouse fires.

Pretty much all individual boathouses in the PNW are wood structures with sheet metal roof and sides.

Open boatsheds housing multiple boats are now constructed from steel framing. Many older ones have wood framing.

There are not many rules for boathouse construction here in the PNW. Permits are required but are mainly for revenue. Here in Port Orchard, WA, the city require a permit but does not perform inspections when the boathouse is finished.

Department of Fisheries require 25% of the roof be translucent to allow fish some daylight even though fish usually like shadowed areas.

The majority of covered moorage fires are under sheds housing multiple boats, with no walls between the boats. Not many fires with individual boathouses housing one boat each.

We had a multiple boathouse fire at our YC a few years ago. 5 or 6 boats in individual boathouses burned and sank. Fire Marshall said that if the boats had not been separated by the metal boathouse walls, more boats would have burned.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:17 AM   #24

City: Reno, NV/Tahoe, CA/Tacoma, WA
Vessel Name: our OAsis
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 546
Just had my Tacoma boathouse (2X6 wood construction with plastic float tubs) inspected by my insurance carrier and he specifically counted the translucent panels in the roof to calculate the % of roof that had plastic panels .

He said most owners think these are there to let light in but he said they were, in reality, a fire code requirement and that 20/25% of the roof had to have panels that would melt from the heat of a fire - so that a fire would burn upward and not outward into other boathouses.

RedShield would not insure it without those "fire" panels...he also made sure there was a fire hydrant within 75' and, of course, a large commercial fire extinguisher and CO monitor. FWIW - my boathouse insurance is .4% of boathouse value per year.
StarBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:02 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
Just had my Tacoma boathouse (2X6 wood construction with plastic float tubs) inspected by my insurance carrier and he specifically counted the translucent panels in the roof to calculate the % of roof that had plastic panels .

He said most owners think these are there to let light in but he said they were, in reality, a fire code requirement and that 20/25% of the roof had to have panels that would melt from the heat of a fire - so that a fire would burn upward and not outward into other boathouses.

RedShield would not insure it without those "fire" panels...he also made sure there was a fire hydrant within 75' and, of course, a large commercial fire extinguisher and CO monitor. FWIW - my boathouse insurance is .4% of boathouse value per year.
Our State Farm homeowners insurance covers the boathouse as an off site auxiliary structure on agreed value and the pemium is less than $100/year. Broker asked for pictures of the boathouse interior and exterior when we purchased the boathouse 20 years ago but no personal visit or inspections. The boathouse had a solid metal roof with no translucent panels when purchased. Since purchase, I've raised the roof, widened and lengthened the boathouse and installed a new roof with 25% translucent panels.

The 25% translucent panel was installed to satisfy Department of Fisheries regulations, though they have never come out to inspect it. There were no specific regulations from the City Fire Marshall for boathouses.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Comments from a boat house owner of 6 years on the Columbia River in Portland, Or.
I have an off-topic Columbia River boathouse question, do you mind if I PM you? thank you
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote