Southeast Alaska - Dock access ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kawini

Vessel Name
High Slack
Vessel Make
Selene 43
My elderly parents are planning on joining us on our boat in southeast Alaska this coming summer. While my parents have been able to get into and out of the dinghy in years past, we’re all a little bit concerned about whether this is safe and comfortable for my mother any longer.

We’ve considered using a harness and our crane to raise and lower her into the dinghy, but that seems a bit extreme.

Can anyone provide me with information on where there are public docks and wharves that we can tie up to for shore access in the Ketchikan Misty Fjords area? Are there any such places outside of the main population centers in southeast?

We are 48’ long overall and draw 5.5’.

Thanks -

Steve

So far as villages go, Metlakatla and Meyers Chuck both have public docks that size. Meyers Chuck can be fun for a few hours and you can spend the night on a first come basis. Most all the villages around PoW Island have docks. The only remote location I know of with a float is Naha Bay, I assume maintained by the Forest Service, there's a fairly long trail that ends at a Forest Service cabin on a lake. I don't know the rules for overnight dockage there.

The USFS maintains mooring balls in a lot of coves around the monument which of course doesn't help with your situation exactly.

Last edited:
As far as getting her on and off the boat Ketchikan is easy peasy. The harbor's I've personally seen there are floating docks with ramps up to the main part of town.

The ramps can be a bit steep but they are ramps as opposed to stairs.

I'll add that there's marinas and other docks up and down the Tongass Highway from Ketchikan for a fair distance around the points in either direction, but I assumed you are looking a little farther afield than that. If you head north towards Meyers Chuck, stop across at Thorne Bay too.

Thanks guys. That’s really helpful.

Based on AlaskaFlyer’s comments, I’ve reconfigured the cruise with my parents. Rather than doing a 7-10 day cruise in and out of Ketchikan - as originally planned - I’ll fly my parents into Ketchikan and then out of either Petersburg or Wrangell.

It seems to me that with a one way journey like that I’ll have a chance at tying up to a new dock at least every other day to stretch our legs. Still planning.

Thanks again!

PS - At small community docks like Thorne Bay, should I count on the fact that I will need to raft in early June?

Thorne Bay should be fine, also there are public docks in Coffman Cove.

If you have time to go to Point Baker, there is a dock there that's
multi function, rafting up to local boats for the night is common.

Back
Top Bottom