South Shore Harbor League City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Bringing a new to us boat home to South Shore. The #1 and #2 markers for the channel into the marina seem pretty far apart. Anyone with local knowledge? Go in down the middle, favor one side or the other? Sailboat with five foot draft.

Thanks,

Bob

Bringing a new to us boat home to South Shore. The #1 and #2 markers for the channel into the marina seem pretty far apart. Anyone with local knowledge? Go in down the middle, favor one side or the other? Sailboat with five foot draft.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

Make your turn into the SSH channel about a boat-length or a little more beyond #1. Then head straight down the center to center-left of the channel and you should be fine. You will definitely hit some skinny water closer to #2.

With our current winds, there is a lot of water in Clear Lake right now.:thumb:

Thanks, Larry. But what about other times of the year? We don't go out during the heat of summer but like to go out in the fall and early winter. Sounds like it might be a problem? We love the surroundings and especially the price but if we can't get the boat out that kinda defeats the purpose.

The marina's at the lake's entrance will have better winter access, but with five foot draft you should still be fine at South Shore most times. A combination of strong, prolonged North winds and low tides can produce conditions where your keel will be solidly in the mud, but that only happens once or twice a year.

Mostly, during the winter you will simply need to watch the tides, winds and your fathometer a bit more.:socool:

We are here. Survived the little tropical thing in the Gulf last week. Quite an exiting ride. Totally missed the entrance coming in. There are some poles out there but none have any markings. You would think they could at least put up the red and green marks, or even better, dredge that little bit of a channel.

Bob

Haha I know the feeling. I've been at south shore for years and just saw your post. Let me know if you have any more questions.
-Philip

What would it take for them to nail up a couple of red and green boards on those poles?

They really don't care.
It is a challenge to find at night sometimes.

It's not just finding the markers, it's finding the channel with our five foot draft. Boat is new to us and needs a lot of work so it won't be going in and out for a while. Later on if the draft gets to be an issue we'll just have to move.

Yeah my friends with a 7' draft sailboat had to move to portofino because it was too dicey unless the water was really high.
I've never had a problem with my 3'10" trawler, but the mud is soft so if I bumped it I just dredged a little

Once we get the boat to where we can use it that may be our only option. If the bottom is soft maybe we can just plow through it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom