South of the border boat storage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Anyone has recent experience with boat storage across the border? 50+ long, 36 tons.
Big enough lift, security, nearby yard, is what I am looking for.
The PNW is getting pricey, even for storage.

Anyone has recent experience with boat storage across the border? 50+ long, 36 tons.
Big enough lift, security, nearby yard, is what I am looking for.
The PNW is getting pricey, even for storage.

Which border? Oregon? Mexico?

Nothing in Ensenada.

I know a few people who 'dry sail' their boat in San Carlos up in the Sea of Cortez. But that's a long way (2500nms?) to save a few hundred bucks a month and reduced launch/haul charge. Many consider the SoC a superb cruising ground.

Are you sure you're cut out for boat ownership?

Peter

Given the unrest and drug issues in Mexico I think I would store closer to home.

pete

Mexico, or lower.

That would likely only make sense if you wanted to use the boat in those locations. You would spend more on the trip to and from than you would save on storage. Lots of other complications also.

Nothing in Ensenada.

Are you sure you're cut out for boat ownership?

Peter

What kind of question is this? What the ownership has to do with finding a storage solution for few years?
Yes, I want to save money whenever I can, but this is not the only reason to be interested in going South. PNW is way overpriced for different reasons, but I will not go there now.
Just to clear the confusion for you, I need to store my boat somewhere for few years, until I can accomplish certain goals for the next 20 years. If I can do it cheaper, I will. If I can do it going South, even better, as my dream is to continue at one point further to other countries. This intermediate location can be anywhere in the South, as long I can get to the boat within reasonable time and it is stored/ moored securely. This has nothing to do with a Mexican location.

Given the unrest and drug issues in Mexico I think I would store closer to home.

pete

You are possibly correct, but I don’t mind to go other countries, if that is better/safer.
Once the boat is down south, it will not come back to the PNW. The plan is to go further in few years.

Last edited:
I've had my boat down in La Paz for almost 10 years now. Dock fees are not much cheaper than in the USA. However, if you haul out and store it on the hard, there are places that would be well below $500/month. San Carlos is supposed to be good. Guaymas is also good. Both are far enough north that you take most of the hurricane risk away.

The trip down will be amazing, so take it slowly. The trip up into the SoC will also be amazing. :dance::dance: Look me up if you pass by La Paz.

Cheers, Bill

What kind of question is this? What the ownership has to do with finding a storage solution for few years?
Yes, I want to save money whenever I can, but this is not the only reason to be interested in going South. PNW is way overpriced for different reasons, but I will not go there now.
Just to clear the confusion for you, I need to store my boat somewhere for few years, until I can accomplish certain goals for the next 20 years. If I can do it cheaper, I will. If I can do it going South, even better, as my dream is to continue at one point further to other countries. This intermediate location can be anywhere in the South, as long I can get to the boat within reasonable time and it is stored/ moored securely. This has nothing to do with a Mexican location.

Just reacting to your recent threads, not just on expense of PNW storage, but on cleaning bottom, delayed hauling, etc. I think it was your other 'storage' thread seeking 8-9 mos/year of storage in PNW. Some responded with a place for around $375/mo for longterm storage of a 50-foot boat on-the-hard. That was too much for your budget so you opened-up this thread about heading south to Mexico (or further).

$375/mo for a 50-foot boat in PNW sounds reasonable. Not sure what you expect to gain by moving the boat 1000nms, or even 2000nms. Maybe if your intent is not to just store for 8-9 mos a year but put the boat in mothballs for several years, then maybe it makes sense to go south. But I can tell you Ensenada isn't the place. Cabo isn't the place either. Maybe La Paz, maybe Mazatlan. The only place I know of is San Carlos, and that's a long way, and ain't very easy to get in/out when you want to visit.

I may have been blunt, but I think asking if a 50-foot boat is the right fit for you is a fair question. BTW - for a 40-foot slip in Ensenada, I pay around $425/mo.

Peter

Last edited:
I also thought that the $375/mo was not unreasonable. It's not just that it's cheaper than keeping it in the water, having it in dry storage also reduces maintenance costs. Though it's also good to remember that someplace like Pacific Marine Center is likely not the cheapest storage you can find. It like all the dry storage in Anacortes comes with electrical power, security and the ability to launch/haul for a reasonable charge. If you are just looking for the cheapest place to store your boat long term there's likely someplace out there.

Just to clear the confusion for you, I need to store my boat somewhere for few years, until I can accomplish certain goals for the next 20 years.
Your message is confusing. a few years or up to 20 years.
Personally I cannot image planning to park a boat for any length of time. In fact I have sold boats when they sat unused after the first year when another activity consumed my non working hours.
From what you have said, if it were me saying it, the boat would be for sale. There is always another one.

The trip down will be amazing, so take it slowly. The trip up into the SoC will also be amazing. :dance::dance: Look me up if you pass by La Paz.

Cheers, Bill

Thank you for the encouraging words and useful info. Although I cannot the PNW till 2024 due to family matters, I will certainly look you you up, when it happens.

Do you have any info on this in Costa Rica or Panama?

Last edited:
Many things are cheaper in Mexico, but moorage isn't one of them. We pay $1375 a month for a 50 footer in Loreto/Marina Puerto Escondido. Boat cleaning is much cheaper. Boat parts are much more expensive. Food is cheaper.

Alaska has way cheaper moorage than Mexico in my experience.

I may have been blunt, but I think asking if a 50-foot boat is the right fit for you is a fair question. BTW - for a 40-foot slip in Ensenada, I pay around $425/mo.

Peter

Good info, thanks.

About the ownership. We all have out reasons why and how keep/own a boat. I see it quite often on this forum comments about boat owners, who try to be on the economical side of an ownership. I don’t think anybody’s business why a boat owner does things the way does, as long no law is broken. A yacht owner in Monte Carlo has a very different perspective than a riverboat owner in Amsterdam.

Many things are cheaper in Mexico, but moorage isn't one of them. We pay $1375 a month for a 50 footer in Loreto/Marina Puerto Escondido. Boat cleaning is much cheaper. Boat parts are much more expensive. Food is cheaper.

Alaska has way cheaper moorage than Mexico in my experience.

Wow, not cheap!

I might need to go more South.

Cold Alaska waters do not attract me.

Wow, not cheap!

I might need to go more South.

Cold Alaska waters do not attract me.

Checkout Noonsite.com, Jimmy Connells site on global cruising infrastructure (Cornell penned the definitive tome World Cruising Routes). I have not cruised south of Baja extensively, but my impression is marinas are fairly rare and generally expensive. They are, however, usually pretty nice. As "Retriever" says, some things are inexpensive, some things are not. Some things such as 316 Stainless, is difficult to find at any price. When you do find it, it came from US so very expensive.

That said, food is inexpensive and excellent. Dinner last night was street tacos at 15-pesos each. Breakfast this morning was at a fancy restaurant that has excellent chilaquiles and yogurt smoothies (about $9 total)

Peter 20221107_183918.jpg20221108_072929.jpg

Maybe consider parking your boat in Portland. We homebased there for several years at Hayden Island. Fresh water, easy in and out by vehicle or Air and ran about $500 a month.
But if your home base is farther south, we had good luck in San Carlos. They have an awesome dry storage (less than $200 a month) and dock space is relatively cheap. It’s about a 4 hour drive to the border into Arizona. We did see a significant hike in insurance costs in Mexico and it gets even more pricey the farther south you go. IF you do need to bring in parts across the border, unpack them from shipping boxes and original packaging, import taxes can get expensive.
Cheers

That said, food is inexpensive and excellent. Dinner last night was street tacos at 15-pesos each. Breakfast this morning was at a fancy restaurant that has excellent chilaquiles and yogurt smoothies (about $9 total)

Yummmmm….
There is nothing better than the personal experience. I’ve been to Mexico many times. Food is king!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe consider parking your boat in Portland. We homebased there for several years at Hayden Island. Fresh water, easy in and out by vehicle or Air and ran about $500 a month.
Cheers

I’ll check it out. Thanks.
I want to go South, and even more South later.

Storage

Try the Napa valley marina in Napa CA. They have a huge dry storage yard. Not sure what the fees are.

If you go to Mexico, don't forget about this.

"How long can you keep a boat in Mexico?
Mexico’s Customs law allows an owner/captain to enter Mexico with a pleasure boat and keep it in the country for up to 10 years. The legal document which allows you to do this is called a Temporary Import Permit (Permiso de Importación Temporal).
FAQ's - Marina de La Paz"

pete

Pete,

I have been living in San Carlos for 13 years and am a permanent resident there, almost a Mexican citizen. Do you know more American Citizens are killed in a dozen US (D) cities every year than in ALL OF MEXICO? Many multiples more are shot since our inner cities have gotten really good at class-A Trauma and gunshot wound treatment. I am from South Chicago and more Americans" are killed there in just about any Summer if you exclude suicides which are included in FBI/CIA and State Department homicide numbers for Mexico. They call them "self-inflicted homicides".
Roughly speaking 450-625 Americans are killed in Mexico every year for the last 13 years with about 40-45% of those are really suicides if we use the same metrics of statistical analysis that we use for Americans in the US. Now don't get me wrong, it is not a place to buy, sell, transport drugs or illegal weapons/currencies or participate in the trafficking of people. But that LIFE will get you killed no matter your location. It is part of choosing that "Life".

There were more cartel killings of Mexicans in San Carlos this past summer than I ever remember, but no increase in real dangers for American citizens. Of the 37-40 million US visitors, 12-17 million bi-nationals and almost 2 million ex-pats to have less than 400 actual homicides is statistically safer than any city with over a million people I can think of in the US. Maybe Plano, TX or Mesa, AZ might beat those numbers but it depends on how you calculate the deaths.

It has always been my experience that the ones warning about the dangers of Mexico are most certainly not folks that have actually spent any time there. I have been to every 31 states including Districto Federales (Mexico City) which is infinitely safer than Washington, DC, our beloved capital.

My correction or difference of opinion is based on respect and facts. Of course I have worked as a warden for the US Consulate in Hermosillo for more than a decade, so what do I know? Just trying to set Truth free. You don't have to defend Truth. It is a lion, set it free and it takes care of itself. I am so sad for those that live in a constant state of fear. Life is too short. Get out and make it an adventure. You are like me Pete, not one of the millionaire cruisers, just a plain honest hard-working man. So please take it with respect.

Hasta luego amigo!

Captain DJ

I have cruised the Sea of Cortez and mainland MX for 10 years. Nothing cheap here. I have a 43 ft OA, 50 ft Marina dock space is $1,200+ per month at Puerto Escondido. Dry storage is $440. I have a 34" slip in KTN Alaska for $100 per month. But I had to get on a waiting list for 3 years to get it. $375 sounds cheap, no real benefit to weather here, sun bakes everything in the summer.

I have cruised the Sea of Cortez and mainland MX for 10 years. Nothing cheap here. I have a 43 ft OA, 50 ft Marina dock space is $1,200+ per month at Puerto Escondido. Dry storage is $440. I have a 34" slip in KTN Alaska for $100 per month. But I had to get on a waiting list for 3 years to get it. $375 sounds cheap, no real benefit to weather here, sun bakes everything in the summer.

I agree with this. I pay nearly 3k/month in either Puerto Escondido or La Paz for in water storage for the cat. I can go north for hurricane season and pay $400/month for dry storage which seems reasonable, but if I give up my in-water slip I will not get it back as things are so booked up down here.

Not cheap is right..... and I suspect it will just get worse from here.

The sun is a killer. When we lived in Tucson I made covers out of Sunbrella for everything. My wife used to tease me that if she sat still for an hour I would have a cover made for her…

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom