Old 11-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Snubbing with a splice

So after last weekend's Southeast coast storm, I need to make a new snubber or 2. Lots of time to think when you're hunkered down on the hook and your single 3/4" rope snubber looks to be less than 1/2" wide. Switched out to the double during a lull in the wind. So I pretty much know what I'm going to make, until I saw this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211109_160842.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	122751
Crap! Picture is 90 off and they just lengthened the lines so that the splice is now underwater.

My double line that goes through the hawse pipes to the cleats, is two lines to the hook / plate. The one in the picture is braided forward of the bow with one line going to the chain.

Anyone used one like this or care to offer opinions?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Not exactly like that but I do something like that at our home dock. We have mooring whips to hold the boat off the dock so I have longer lines to allow the boat to drift away from the dock. I spliced in a second line to the first line to pull the boat close to the dock for boarding without having to release the longer first line. I just pull the boat in and lay the second line over the first line on the cleat and cleat it off. When we are done going on or off the boat I just uncleat the second line and the boat drifts back out on the mooring whips and I don’t have to adjust the first longer dock line.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #3
Guru

I'm looking more for performance, strength, and benefit information. Obviously it can be done. Advantages and disadvantages?

Ted
Old 11-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #4
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
I too did a quick search on that technique and splice and came up dry.

So this is just instinct.

First, I don't like the idea of that splice. Seems to me it would be weakened by the angle, pulling apart the strands. Under load. Bobbing.

Second, seems like there would be SOME loss of strength introducing a splice between the cleat and chain, even if I am wrong about #1

Third, with two singles you have some redundancy if one gives way for some reason. With this set up you have redundancy above the splice but not below.

Just seems like a fancy way to do the job less securely.

My two cents, and the opinion isn't worth more than those pennies.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:57 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
I too did a quick search on that technique and splice and came up dry.

So this is just instinct.

First, I don't like the idea of that splice. Seems to me it would be weakened by the angle, pulling apart the strands. Under load. Bobbing.

Second, seems like there would be SOME loss of strength introducing a splice between the cleat and chain, even if I am wrong about #1

Third, with two singles you have some redundancy if one gives way for some reason. With this set up you have redundancy above the splice but not below.

Just seems like a fancy way to do the job less securely.

My two cents, and the opinion isn't worth more than those pennies.
Ok, to address your points:

I have a thimble spliced into the end of my snubber. A shackle attaches it to the hook. Regarding your 1st and 2nd point, how would the splice above the water be different from a strength and pulling standpoint than the splice holding in the thimble? I see plenty of spliced loops throw over bollards that don't suffer from strength or odd pulling angles.

I agree with your 3rd point about redundancy. Hooking the chain before the windlass and cleating it off is my backup. When dealing with storms, I plan to keep my other snubber with the dual lines to the hook / plate. This would be my fair weather (under 25 knots) snubber.

Ted
Old 11-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #6
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I've kinda got one like that, just took twice the length of snubber line and cow hitched it through the eye of the chain hook. I wouldn't worry that much about a reduction of strength, since the snubber should be running at no more than about 25% of breaking strength anyway.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:36 PM   #7
FWT
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Ok, to address your points:

I have a thimble spliced into the end of my snubber. A shackle attaches it to the hook. Regarding your 1st and 2nd point, how would the splice above the water be different from a strength and pulling standpoint than the splice holding in the thimble? I see plenty of spliced loops throw over bollards that don't suffer from strength or odd pulling angles.

Ted
It is very well documented that an eye splice around a properly sized thimble is either the single strongest knot or splice there is, or darned close to best. That isn't in question. I just re-looked it up to confirm, and I see numbers like 90-95% of the strength of the line itself. A bowline knot is 60% by comparison. No knot comes close to an eye splce.

And an eye splice into a large loop has that same high strength.

The only time strength suffers is when the thimble is too small relative to the size of the line, and thus the turn is too cramped / sharp, weakening the line. The weakness becomes in the line, not the splice itself.

What I was questioning was the splice of two lines forming a "Y", of three points: one to a chain hook or lashed, and the other two to either side of the bow. THAT splice just seems weak to me, but I can't find any examples or discussion of that splice. So not finding anything on that unfamiliar splice, that where I said it was just instinct, and why.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:36 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Why would a splice joining 2 lines be weaker than a splice forming a loop that is around a piling?

Picture splicing a big loop, cut the loop at the opposite point as the splice and tie those to cleats.

Seems the same to me.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:38 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
What I was questioning was the splice of two lines forming a "Y", of three points: one to a chain hook or lashed, and the other two to either side of the bow. THAT splice just seems weak to me, but I can't find any examples or discussion of that splice. So not finding anything on that unfamiliar splice, that where I said it was just instinct, and why.
I agree with you but, anytime you make a loop with a splice, you're joining the end of a line to a continuous line. Aren't the same forces being exerted under tension?

Ted
Old 11-10-2021, 05:43 AM   #10
FWT
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I agree with you but, anytime you make a loop with a splice, you're joining the end of a line to a continuous line. Aren't the same forces being exerted under tension?

Ted
Good point. You might be right. And psneld above. As I said, nothing but gut feel.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:00 AM   #11
FWT
Guru

For what its worth, the approach that most appealed to me from a prior discussion here was to use two singles, with two chain hooks, attached to the chain a few links apart. Total redundancy including from the event of a hook becoming detached. The only two downsides being the horror of having to bend over twice to attach two hooks, and the cost of two hooks instead of one. Otherwise, you have two singles to choose from when a single is all you need or want for the evening, instead of choosing between a bridle rig or single (in which case you will also have invested in two hooks). And if you want backup in case of chaffing add another single into the kit. Replacement from wear can be done replacing a single instead of a whole bridle. Simple and redundant.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:28 AM   #12
Guru

Ted did say fair weather snubber.

Methinks many on TF worry way too much most of the time and too little the times it probably is most needed.

But that's only after 2 careers of seeing the entire spectrum of boating get in and out of trouble...often amazed at how few don't considering their experience levels. Many reports right here on TF of sheer novices making a success on You Tube taking off on the grand adventure.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #13
FWT
Guru

What, we over-think things here on TF? Shocked to hear that.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #14
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Ted,

I had the "Y" set up on our previous boat a North Pacific 39. The line was 1/2". Never a worry in six years of anchoring.

For our present boat, a NP45, I did two single 1/2" lines to a shackle which attaches to the chain hook. The attached photo shows the snubber attached to the shackle with a bowline. That was for the delivery from Philadelphia, PA to Groton, CT. I have since spliced in thimbles in place of bowlines. Two seasons and working well.

I thought about going with heavier line but wanted the elasticity of the smaller diameter.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Chain Hook 3.jpg  
Old 11-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #15
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
The photo rotated 90*. The one shot where it does not matter!

Rob
Old 11-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #16
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
For what its worth, the approach that most appealed to me from a prior discussion here was to use two singles, with two chain hooks, attached to the chain a few links apart. Total redundancy including from the event of a hook becoming detached.
The problem I have with this is that with a little yawing, one or the other line is very likely to go slack, and when it does the chain hook will fall off (unless it is secured somehow). With both lines going to a single hook, there will always be tension on it.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #17
FWT
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
The problem I have with this is that with a little yawing, one or the other line is very likely to go slack, and when it does the chain hook will fall off (unless it is secured somehow). With both lines going to a single hook, there will always be tension on it.
Point taken. But seems to me in the last discussion on this folks reported that not happening. The same risk exists with one hook on a quiet night in a cove with no material current and you just drift in lazy fashion with no tension. How often does this happen to you? And if so, the redundancy fact leaves you with one attached, with the tension you say will be there.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Point taken. But seems to me in the last discussion on this folks reported that not happening. The same risk exists with one hook on a quiet night in a cove with no material current and you just drift in lazy fashion with no tension. How often does this happen to you? And if so, the redundancy fact leaves you with one attached, with the tension you say will be there.
My chain hook feel off in almost every tidal creek I anchored in.

If you anchor in shallow water (or low tide areas with extreme tides) the snubber has to be so short so the hook doesn't touch bottom and then the snubber doesn't have much give.

So I gave up and just use a hitch and never an issue since....
Old 11-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #19
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Why would a splice joining 2 lines be weaker than a splice forming a loop that is around a piling?

Picture splicing a big loop, cut the loop at the opposite point as the splice and tie those to cleats.

Seems the same to me.
r

That is exactly how I was thinking I would make such a bridle if I wanted one. And then I'd braid the far end of the wye for attachment to the rode with a hitch. I prefer two braided snubbers made up to the chain/nylon rode with icicle hitches. Been through the hook plate, single chain hooks, etc,etc, What snaps back at you when that hook or shackle breaks? It's a pound or two of hook part, shackle, and thimble. It will hurt.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:29 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
Ted,

I had the "Y" set up on our previous boat a North Pacific 39. The line was 1/2". Never a worry in six years of anchoring.

For our present boat, a NP45, I did two single 1/2" lines to a shackle which attaches to the chain hook. The attached photo shows the snubber attached to the shackle with a bowline. That was for the delivery from Philadelphia, PA to Groton, CT. I have since spliced in thimbles in place of bowlines. Two seasons and working well.

I thought about going with heavier line but wanted the elasticity of the smaller diameter.

Rob
Rob, I appreciate the information.

Ted