Old 11-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #21

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
Smart Plug Dockside receptacle

I see that Smart Plug, on the Smart Plug site, has made the step into the pedestal side, (a relatively new step) BUT I see also that you are talking about a home dockside setup. That would mean you would need to carry 2 $300+ cords to make connections as you travel, until the world changes over.

Since the majority of the dockside connections will be Marinco, 2 or 3 marinas aren't enough for me to make the investment.

Those cords, where would you buy them? The picture of the cord, available at Defender, that was in my previous post, shows a Marinco plug on 1 end & a Smart Plug on the other. West Marine, here, (https://www.westmarine.com/search?Nt...ug+shore+power) shows the same. So the boat to dock cord sets aren't on the open market yet.

You'd need to go to Smart Plug to purchase them.

When the 2 largest marine retailers start to carry the cord you are mentioning, there will have been greater acceptance.

What will make sense to most is that when the acceptance level is high enough, and maybe for you to save a couple of $$$, the CM30043L530R | 30 AMP FEMALE TWIST-TYPE CONNECTOR TO 30 AMP SMARTPLUG MALE CONNECTOR (https://smartplug.com/portfolio-item...ale-connector/) would/will be the solution.

I'm glad to see that they have made that step, we went to Smart Plug back in '11 and have them for both our house & AC connections.

That said, in the interim, it is best to put a Smart Plug on your boat. That is where most of the fires start.

Thanks for pointing that out.

m/v Nepidae, Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #22

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: Cartouche
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Atkins View Post
We boat mostly the Hudson River, Lake Champlain and the NYS Canal System and have not seen any pedestals for the new smart plug connectors. Would be very interested hearing from anyone with local knowledge.

I have (2) old style Marinco 30 amp power cords, one new in the box. If there actually is a change in progress I would probably change the connector on the used cordset. Have not seen an adapter that could be used between the power point and the old style twist lock plug. I would prefer a plug & play adapter that I could just add to my adapter bag.

Appreciate any information.

Leonard
Its Just the Boat inlet that changes, Pedestals are Twist Lock Nema L5 30AMP

Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #23
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Agree it is an L5-30 plug not a Marinco. Marinco is one of the companies that make power cords, but the plug isnít a Marinco plug.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #24

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
Smart Plug Dockside receptacle

To Leonard,

IF you look at the price of the 30 & 50A receptacles you see the uphill slog that Smart Plug will need to endure for Smart Plug to be on many docks. A 30A SmartPlug receptacle is over $100. Got a couple hundred slips, big money.

I did SmartPlug on the boat side for both of my 30A sockets. Since the dock ends are Marinco to fit the predominant connection, I also carry a 50' double-ended Marinco cord for reaching a distant receptacle.

SmartPlug will make their entry in new or some rebuilds. I don't think most marinas will go to the expense to retrofit.

Yes, SmartPlug does offer a replacement cord connector, but I would offer that the replacement will not be as watertight as the factory-made and it is corrosion that contributes to the boat fires due to electricity.

SmartPlug does offer the adapter you are looking for, check out the SmartPlug web site.
m/v Nepidae, Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: T/T Your Mother
We have smartplug on our RV, we carry two 50 Amp smart plug cables (smart plug connector on both sides), have a 50 Amp smart plug connector, and then just use their dogbones - converted to RV plugs on the male side, to tap into whatever I happen to find in the campground (50/30/15a). This means I can extend the cable to reach further, with a waterproof connection. At home we just had a smartplug 50A outlet wired next to the welder plug.

NowhereHome is offline   Reply With Quote