Old 05-10-2021, 08:41 PM   #1

City: Carmi
Vessel Name: Journey II
Vessel Model: 2017 R-23 Ranger Tug
Slip and Surveyor in NorthWest.

Looking at buying a well cared for 1980's 47' power vessel and looking for insights on the availability of slips in the Bellingham/Anacourtes area? In the absence of availability even out in the islands or Marinas in the area.

Also, looking for recommendations for a surveyor that may have experience with older vessels made of steel?

Thanks in advance. Donnie
Forfun1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Congratulations Donnie on your new to you boat. But.......... if you are just now wondering about a slip to keep it, you may be in for a big disappointment. Your name should have been a several waiting lists 5 years ago. Good luck.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
There are slips available, just not in the most convenient locations. There should be slips available at Blane and Semiahmoo.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Should be plenty in Point Roberts after the Canadians vacated due to covid border lockdown
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Synergy
Vessel Model: Hershine TriCabin Trawler
Quote:
Also, looking for recommendations for a surveyor that may have experience with older vessels made of steel?
This fellow did a very comprehensive survey of my 1985 trawler last spring. Excellent all around result and fairly priced. You should contact him and ask about steel boats, my guess is he will be familiar with them. Grew up in a boating family, his dad was in the marine industry, as per the web site.

Only downside is that he is very busy. But that is also a sign of good quality work and demand for his services. I highly recommend him. Not talkative, but gets it done.

Cale Mathers – AMS® #1156
SAMS® Accredited Marine Surveyor®
Mathers Marine Survey LLC
151 Polo Park Drive
Bellingham, WA 98229 360.202.7700 Cale@MathersMarineSurvey.com Mathers Marine Survey LLC - SAMS® Accredited Marine Surveyor®
05/27/2020
DATE OF REPORT COMPLETION

As for moorage, check out the LaConner Marina, Port of Skagit. Slips do come available there and the wait time is much less than Anacortes. Good service and good people. Lovely town to enjoy when ashore. Outstanding full service yard (LaConner Maritime). Two hours motor (at 8 knots) to Lopez Island.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #6
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Don't delay. Get on the wait lists for all marinas within several hours drive of where you want to be. Don't limit yourself to B'ham and Anacortes, two very popular marinas.

I did that in June 2018 when I started my purchase process. I was told wait lists were 2 yrs, 5 yrs and "Don't bother". In short order I had a slip in a marina at a far from an ideal location or a good slip, but I had a place. By October I was in my 1st choice marina when I'd been told that was a 2 yr list. In November 2020 I was in my preferred location in the marina when I'd been told that was a 5 yr list.

Don't sign an annual contract until you're in your preferred marina in a good slip.

Check out renting from an owner of a condo style marina such as Anchor Cove. Some maintain lists of slips for rent. Occasionally those pop up on Craigslist. Some you'll have to walk the docks.

You should have started some time ago but it's not all doom and gloom and you'll spend some small $$ on wait list fees. And probably initially be in an inconvenient location.

Worst case you'll be bouncing around transient slips till you get something.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
The problem with slip availability in many, many areas is people flocked heavily to what appear to be socially distancing activities that got them out of the house.

Seasonal Homes
Seasonal Rentals
RV's
Boats

As a result, there are very few slips available out there. We've been talking about getting rid of the slip and just anchoring, transient moorings and the occasional transient slip, however we're afraid if we decide we prefer to keep a slip, we won't have anywhere to go if we surrender the one we have.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:59 PM   #8

City: Carmi
Vessel Name: Journey II
Vessel Model: 2017 R-23 Ranger Tug
Thanks, everyone for your input. Your advice will help a lot as I look for a slip.
Forfun1960 is offline   Reply With Quote