Shower - $1.00 for 5 minutes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kevin

I have been amazed in the eastern Caribbean how many of the cruisers staying in a marina will use the marina facilities rather than shower on their own boat.
It is probably 3 out of 4 who use the marina.

(19 of 20 boats are sailboats)

I think you hit the magic word. I think sailboaters and former sailboaters who now have trawler type boats. Of those who have only been powerboaters, I think they're far more likely to use the shower on the boat.

Kevin

I have been amazed in the eastern Caribbean how many of the cruisers staying in a marina will use the marina facilities rather than shower on their own boat.

Multiple reasons:

Water is metered while the shower is free, long free showers are taken

Many of the boats do not have electric water heaters - the only time they have hot water is when the engine runs and heats the waters (19 of 20 boats are sailboats)

The shower stall if there is a separate one is small and tight

In 18 year I can't remember taking a shower in a marina, but it likely occurred for one reason or another sometime. But then we have an adequate (for us) shower stall and an electric water heater,

Thanks Marty!

Can I ask...

What is the "average" demographic of cruisers in the eastern Caribbean?

Are they mostly retirees in 50' Nordhavns? Or Minelials in 35' sailboats, living on what they can make here and there? I understand that there is bound to be a mix of peope and boats, but I have no understanding of the cruise full time, or mostly full time community.

Thanks Marty!

Can I ask...

What is the "average" demographic of cruisers in the eastern Caribbean?

Are they mostly retirees in 50' Nordhavns? Or Minelials in 35' sailboats, living on what they can make here and there? I understand that there is bound to be a mix of peope and boats, but I have no understanding of the cruise full time, or mostly full time community.

Clearly retirees. Almost all are couples. Upper middle class. The preference for sailboats is not financial but from a lifetime of sailing back home. The Eastern Caribbean with its constant wind on the beam is a sailors dream. While they exist there are few really small or inexpensive sailboats around. usually when we see that it is a young couple who are taking a year off from employment to go to the Caribbean. The sweet spot is the 38 to 50 foot sailboat with more and more cats every year.

About 40% are full time liveaboards while the majority have homes or RVs back home. The majority are from Europe. Canada and the US with around 15 to 20% each. It seems there are more Canadians then Americans.

The Nordhavn and Krogen owners are frequently ex-sailors and are usually at the higher end of the income bracket as well as somewhat higher boat values. These two brands make up almost the entire power fleet of cruisers.

I still do not see why anybody that has a boat with a shower and a head, would ever even think of using public facilities.

Even our smallest cruiser, smaller than most any boat here on TF had a working head and a shower. Yes the shower was a pull out from the sink, but it was FAR better than going to the harbor showers.

Why marinas even provide shower services is beyond me. Public restrooms I understand, but not shower facilities.

You must not have been to Greenport Long Island. The marina there had a 4 star Italian restaurant and head and shower areas that were better than most houses. Plenty of room, water (that didn't need filling or connecting) and was forever hot! One of our best port calls.

I must have missed something.

I dont think anyone is saying marina showers are necessarily substandard....but compared to packing up and walking anyplace for a shower doesnt win out over the convenience of ones own boat in my book either....unless...

Your boat shower is so substandard that going through all the trouble of using a land based one is better.

Then I see the point.

You must not have been to Greenport Long Island. The marina there had a 4 star Italian restaurant and head and shower areas that were better than most houses. Plenty of room, water (that didn't need filling or connecting) and was forever hot! One of our best port calls.

Townsends?

It was Brewers Sterling Harbor. We got lucky it was across a patch of grass from the boat so maybe 30 feet away. We are on a 37 foot Back Cove so plenty of shower room but this was just nice. All to us and no one else there at the time.

during the pay toilets era there was a saying ..." here I sit broken hearted paid to sh.. but only farted "

I must have missed something.

I dont think anyone is saying marina showers are necessarily substandard....but compared to packing up and walking anyplace for a shower doesnt win out over the convenience of ones own boat in my book either....unless...

Your boat shower is so substandard that going through all the trouble of using a land based one is better.

Then I see the point.

Exactly!

As so often happens on this forum, this thread has taken off in all directions and many people seem more interested on posting than in reading other people's posts.

From what I can gather, a marina having a separate charge for showers is pretty uncommon on the east coast but not unusual in the PNW.

Some people mistook my post for a complaint about the cost of the shower. It was not. It was about the "nickel and dime" approach. I don't think that's good for business.

As for showering on one's own boat vs. showering in the marina, that's not what this thread was about.

Kevin

Multiple reasons:

Water is metered while the shower is free, long free showers are taken

Many of the boats do not have electric water heaters - the only time they have hot water is when the engine runs and heats the waters (19 of 20 boats are sailboats)

The shower stall if there is a separate one is small and tight

In 18 year I can't remember taking a shower in a marina, but it likely occurred for one reason or another sometime. But then we have an adequate (for us) shower stall and an electric water heater,

Kevin,
Even we have an electric water heater. Dosn't get too hot like the engine water heater. But being too hot means you use less of it unless you spend too much time adjusting the water temp.
But we almost always shower at "the" marina.

Some people mistook my post for a complaint about the cost of the shower. It was not. It was about the "nickel and dime" approach. I don't think that's good for business.

It was a complaint about there being any separate cost for the shower and we explained through the thread why that might make sense. But it's still a one dollar charge and most of us aren't going to make a lot out of it. Is it nickel and dime when their washers and dryers require coins?

It is nickle and dime...maybe....

Certainly not boat buck worthy.

Certainly not common on the East Coast but not unheard of...except by those not well travelled in cruising circles.

And.... posts are read, just either dismissed or taken for what they are worth.

Many threads are derailed as they cant hold the memberships attention.

Funny how threads about baking bread, showers, noise in anchorages, etc garner more attention than many tech threads. :)

It was a complaint about there being any separate cost for the shower and we explained through the thread why that might make sense. But it's still a one dollar charge and most of us aren't going to make a lot out of it. Is it nickel and dime when their washers and dryers require coins?

No, it's pretty common to charge for washers and dryers. Several marinas we have visited do have free washers and dryers.

It's a dollar but suppose they start charging for the toilets? Why not raise the rate by five cents a foot and include free showers when free showers are the custom and expected in the area?

No, it's pretty common to charge for washers and dryers. Several marinas we have visited do have free washers and dryers.

It's a dollar but suppose they start charging for the toilets? Why not raise the rate by five cents a foot and include free showers when free showers are the custom and expected in the area?

Because that won't limit and control the usage like a charge will. They're likely not charging for the money as much as the policing of it. I'll bet it's staying cleaner now. Money wise, why charge me 5 cents a foot for a shower I never use? Now, I don't care one way or another but that argument is just as sound as yours.

Why do we really care how they collect that dollar?

I've seen the following items separated with charges or free for all and really don't care which a marina does on any of them:

WIFI
Water
Electric
Toilet
Shower
Laundry
Gate Key
Pump out
Loaner Car
Golf Cart
Bicycle
Tennis
Pool
Workout Room

"It's a dollar but suppose they start charging for the toilets? Why not raise the rate by five cents a foot and include free showers when free showers are the custom and expected in the area?"

At the marina in question it is simple.....
Then they would have to allow public access to the area and lose control of the 'quality' of these services which were already 'stressed'.
These services are not within the marina gates and would be then be available to everyone that walks by - and there are a lot of folks walking by that area.
A real lot , trust me.

"It's a dollar but suppose they start charging for the toilets? Why not raise the rate by five cents a foot and include free showers when free showers are the custom and expected in the area?"

At the marina in question it is simple.....
Then they would have to allow public access to the area and lose control of the 'quality' of these services which were already 'stressed'.
These services are not within the marina gates and would be then be available to everyone that walks by - and there are a lot of folks walking by that area.
A real lot , trust me.
That is a good point and brought up before (post 49) with similar info.

Maybe it is clearer a second time and after complaining of people not reading posts.... :)

Last edited:
Funny how threads about baking bread, showers, noise in anchorages, etc garner more attention than many tech threads. :)

Likely because folks like me eat bread, take showers, and get annoyed by noise but know nothing about how stuff actually works. [emoji6]

Likely because folks like me eat bread, take showers, and get annoyed by noise but know nothing about how stuff actually works. [emoji6]

Wifey B: I don't eat much bread, but take long hot showers, very seldom alone. Noise doesn't annoy me generally. I know how stuff works. You push the button, it works, although rapidly going to spoken commands. We'll say, "Alexa, start the engines." :lol:

I can't belive it ....
78 posts complaining about paying $1.00 to take a shower. HaHa......

Some posts are rejected and ignored by others for good reason. Doing so requires they be read.
It`s like complaining "you are not listening".The person is listening, but rejecting what was said.

They charge for showers on Catalina Island. $2 for 1 minute. Don't forget your quarters. Before you drop your last one you need to have everything laid out, soap, shampoo, and work fast top down. It always cost me $4.

They charge for showers on Catalina Island. $2 for 1 minute. Don't forget your quarters. Before you drop your last one you need to have everything laid out, soap, shampoo, and work fast top down. It always cost me $4.

Wifey B: Is there any surcharge for multiple people showering together? :D

Always assuming someone can still reach the coin slot.:blush:

Wifey B: I think we'd just have to put a few dollars in advance. No one wants to be disturbed in the middle of a nice long hot shower. :D

A lot of the complaint motivation here, I think, is the result of the wholesale "nickel, dime, and chisel" mentality that seems to permeate B schools and their blow-dried MBA products. The item/service costs $0.05, but then there's the convenience fee, the extra bag fee, shipping & handling, etc., etc. that brings the out the door cost to $89.95. "Oh, you want wheels and tires on that new car? We have a wheel and tire package for only ......."

At first I thought maybe these places only charged to keep boat service people, contractors, etc. from using the showers. But if that were true they could give you more time for a $1.
So if most people spend, say, $3 per shower, and there are an average of even 4 -5 people per day, that's around $400 per month to the marina. Certainly should more than cover the water and maintenance costs.
It's still not big money for individuals - cheaper than a latte - but if I ran the circus, I'd put in shampoo & soap dispensers, etc. And keep the showers very clean. At least that might feel more worth it for people. "Yeah, they charge for showers but the facility is very nice."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom