Shower - $1.00 for 5 minutes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is my guess on the town marina which we also have stayed at - they need to charge so they can 'control' the folks entering the facilities and tis gives them a way to do that. Kingston waterfront is pretty much renovated and very nice but if you visited there 15 years back it was very rough. They still have some per cent of folks that show up on the waterfront that will not or can not respect property and so they have a full time dockmaster and a number of LEO's that are around. I will guess that they use the fee's to control the facility so its nit trashed within 20 minutes of last use.
With that said the fees to stay at the twin dock and at RYB were always about the same - last we were there was 1-1/2 years back and they were both at $2 foot. We would almost always stay a full week at RYB and would end up with a cost of about $9 a foot for a week. When up there we did many different activities in the area so a week was just about right. Unfortunately we learned the owner of RYB passed away a bit young last year but I know folks 'took' over quickly and kept the marina running well last we checked a few months ago. The previous owner (Jim) was a great guy who will be missed as he renovated RYB and also the marina named "hop-O-nos" in Catskill -a nice guy who did great work and was always fair to all he dealt with.
Anyway - RYB is mostly quiet at night but the town is not too far away by dinghy, walk or taxi. The town dock is near a much louder and active area but lacks privacy and is right in the town.
It is also easy to rent a very economical car up there and visit all kinds of places and activities while in that area.
None of these marinas are like the big time marinas near NY or Long Island when it comes to glitz and highest class amenities they are all pretty laid back, simple and about 1/3rd the price.

Thanks. Your post has a lot more good information than Active Captain.

Most marinas we've been to control access with keys, conventional or electronic or push button locks with a three or four digit code.

It's nice to be able to just step off the boat and be in the center of town but we have noticed that this also means dealing with people we would rather not have to deal with.

Where is your home port? Have you been up the Hudson before by boat?

Home port is in SC. This will be our first cruise north of the top of the Chesapeake Bay. I have purchased several books and a couple DVDs.

Thanks. Your post has a lot more good information than Active Captain.

Most marinas we've been to control access with keys, conventional or electronic or push button locks with a three or four digit code.

It's nice to be able to just step off the boat and be in the center of town but we have noticed that this also means dealing with people we would rather not have to deal with.

The town dock at Kingston has an old wrought iron fence and a locked gate that requires a push button code as well. When the dockmaster is there the control is very good - at times that he is not the docks are about 5' from the sea wall and you can jump around the gate. Never had a huge problem there but it is a very public place.
We also stayed at the waterfront museum next to the town dock but I believe that they have cut way back on that part of what they do and we also found that to be a bit public.
Both of them are also right next to the larger ferry that works as a dinner cruiser out of Kingston each day. The ferry is between the two.

Home port is in SC. This will be our first cruise north of the top of the Chesapeake Bay. I have purchased several books and a couple DVDs.

Please read the recent posts about the tides and currents on the Hudson, consider buying the cheap Eldridge tide and current book - especially if your boat or others traveling with you are limited to slower speeds. Try and remember that the river runs down for longer and faster then it runs up, something we did not learn as fast as we should coming from LI sound where it is always the same tide and current in and out.
We always timed our trips so we had favorable currents early in the day going up - and then again fairly early in the day coming down a week later.

Drift alarm!

For those who don't relish cleaning and drying your boat shower try "Method Daily Shower Spray." Simply spray the shower walls and floor after showering and then walk away. You will rarely need to scrub the shower or dry it. Been using it for years as full time cruisers with excellent results. Friends who have tried it love it too. We buy it at Lowes or Target. I'll bet you can find it online too.

900 gallons a day? Does your boat have U.S.S. before it's name?:lol:

It wasn't a trawler by any stretch. 63 Hines-Farley with two Detroit 16V92's burning 100-120 GPH @ 36kt cruise. That was when fuel was less than a buck a gallon.
I can assure you it wasn't mine!

There are all kinds of things to make marinas favorites or dark horses.

I am with Kevin on showers for the most oart, cleaning a boat shower is about the easiest maintenance/cleaning job on thd boat unless talking the sump, and then that is hardly tough on many boats.

While I know a few here swear by Method products for keeping the shower clean....didnt seem to do that for me.

Every once and awhile I will use marina facilities, and guests aboard usually will...so picking marinas witb nice and easy facilities is certainly something to consider.

Many boaters I know would pay a few bucks for nice restrooms if the rest of the marina facility costs were reasonable and/or a la carte.

Last edited:
There was an entire thread on this and I think you posted your opinion and I posted my reasons.

1) Most of our boats have limited water and in particular, limited hot water. Most marinas have virtually unlimited hot water. This means taking a long, luxurious shower as opposed to getting wet, turning off the water. lathering up and then a quick rinse.

2) Using the marina shower, there's no need to clean and dry the shower, someone else does it.

There have been times when we have showered on the boat or not at all because of a dirty marina shower but that has been rare in our experience.

You mention "public facilities", I assume that includes toilets. When I poop in a marina toilet, I push the handle and the poop disappears, never to be seen or heard from again. When I poop on my boat, it goes into a holding tank and I have to search out and pay for a pumpout facility. I hate to have to plan my cruising around saved up poop.

If you are sitting at a dock then generally you have unlimited water.

Same thing with a pump out, probably several days of head use before a pump out is necessary.

I had a 28' cabin cruiser with a 6 gallon hot water heater and It was difficult to take a long enough shower to run out of hot water... I am very familiar with that.

So... each to his own. If you prefer to use the public restroom over the perfectly good one on your boat, thats fine. I still do not understand, but thats OK. Lots of things I do not understand.

Me, I don't like public restrooms. I pee in them, but would never consider taking a shower in one.

Lots charge by coin in the PNW.

I have absolutely no problem w it either. In many locations it probably dosn't cover costs. Why whine about it?

I have absolutely no problem w it either. In many locations it probably dosn't cover costs. Why whine about it?

Seems odd that charging a dollar for five minutes of shower would get so much anger when most charge about double what they pay for electricity and many have high rates for parking and some charge for WIFI or gym use or whatever. I care what my total cost is, don't really care how they get there. I have a problem with hotels charging resort fees on top of the room rate and some charging for WIFI. Not like you can stay there and not be in the resort. What about boatyards and auto shops with environmental fees or small parts charges? It just is what it is and I have the choice of accepting it or going somewhere else and I'm not going to penalize myself over a small nuisance charge.

Here is my guess on the town marina which we also have stayed at - they need to charge so they can 'control' the folks entering the facilities and tis gives them a way to do that. Kingston waterfront is pretty much renovated and very nice but if you visited there 15 years back it was very rough. They still have some per cent of folks that show up on the waterfront that will not or can not respect property and so they have a full time dockmaster and a number of LEO's that are around. I will guess that they use the fee's to control the facility so its nit trashed within 20 minutes of last use.
With that said the fees to stay at the twin dock and at RYB were always about the same - last we were there was 1-1/2 years back and they were both at $2 foot. We would almost always stay a full week at RYB and would end up with a cost of about $9 a foot for a week. When up there we did many different activities in the area so a week was just about right. Unfortunately we learned the owner of RYB passed away a bit young last year but I know folks 'took' over quickly and kept the marina running well last we checked a few months ago. The previous owner (Jim) was a great guy who will be missed as he renovated RYB and also the marina named "hop-O-nos" in Catskill -a nice guy who did great work and was always fair to all he dealt with.
Anyway - RYB is mostly quiet at night but the town is not too far away by dinghy, walk or taxi. The town dock is near a much louder and active area but lacks privacy and is right in the town.
It is also easy to rent a very economical car up there and visit all kinds of places and activities while in that area.
None of these marinas are like the big time marinas near NY or Long Island when it comes to glitz and highest class amenities they are all pretty laid back, simple and about 1/3rd the price.

Is RYB Roundout yacht club?

$1 shower and a $250000 boat first world problem :rofl:
Staying dirty to save a dollar doesn`t work for me either.:eek: Marinas have their plus and minus aspects, mine doesn`t even provide a shower. But the fees includes water and electricity,so I`m showering.

I'm with Eric. My experience in the PNW is that more marinas require coins for the showers than don't. Never bothered me.

This is another area where there are regional differences I would guess. The PNW in general doesn't have dockhands, usually no charge for a holding tank pump out, charge for electricity but not water or garbage.

Wifey B: Ok, need to check out feelings on this marina with those shocked and protesting the dollar for the showers. Only transient boaters.

Included in the dockage at no extra charge:

Showers
Weight room
Fitness Studio
Sauna
Steam
Driving Range
Putting Green
Tennis Courts
Riverside Oasis with Swimming pool and spa jacuzzi
Water taxi to town
Electric
Water
Transportation to Island Beach

But they charge extra for:

Golf course
Golf lessons
Spa
Cable
Phone
Room service to boat
Laundry valet service
Spa services
2.1 mile road course

And, they don't have:

Pump out, must be done a couple of miles away and have to pay

So, am I to assume it's all ok since the showers are free? Or should we be bothered by all the things they charge extra for or them not having a pump out? :rolleyes:

And, would it all change if they did charge a dollar for the shower? :rofl:

The cost for the hot water and maintenance is in the price somewhere. It's more a matter of principle and gives me a negative feeling about the marina that charges extra for things that other marinas include in their dockage rate.

Many marinas have luxurious shower facilities built into the regular dockage rate. For that matter, we've been to some marinas that supply soap, shampoo and clean towels at no extra charge.

My marina supplies all that and mouthwash too! Pool and resort with free transportation included. (Yacht Harbor) Palm Coast, FL.

For most marinas with limited access from the public, heck it is a little CS to require coins.

Heck just use magnetic locks like they use for dock access, etc.....

At least I hope they scream it at you and put it in bold letters so you dont get all ready and hike up there only to find out you need coins.

But..... some marinas might be required to provide public access rest rooms, but not showers. It might be a management issue and coins work for them.

Annapolis City marina had a similar situation, they used to give you a handfull of tokens at check in....coins not required, but tokens were. I used to have a couple spares if anyone needs one I will look and mail it.... :D

So how exactly do they limit the showers to 5 minutes? Computer program, coin operated timers, shower nazis?

So how exactly do they limit the showers to 5 minutes? Computer program, coin operated timers, shower nazis?
I would hope a computerized voice comes on and gives you the 30 second warning with a 10 second final countdown... :eek:

Or the option of adding coins like laundromat dryers....:D

West Coast of Canada, pay showers; most of France, pay showers and pay toilets. Want to use a biffy in Charles de Gaule or a train station? 0.80 Euros. On the canals in France you pay for water too, a hook-up is about 20 Euros per day.

What's the big deal?

Coin operated on a timer. If the time runs out, you can add coins. 5 minutes is generous. Many around here have a 3 minute timer. Plenty of time really unless you have very long hair that you are washing.

Yet another reason why boaters would do well to stay back East. The PNW and BC are simply barbaric.

Coin operated on a timer. If the time runs out, you can add coins. 5 minutes is generous. Many around here have a 3 minute timer. Plenty of time really unless you have very long hair that you are washing.

Yet another reason why boaters would do well to stay back East. The PNW and BC are simply barbaric.
Not till they start charging you per sheet of TP.... :)

Seems odd that charging a dollar for five minutes of shower would get so much anger when most charge about double what they pay for electricity and many have high rates for parking and some charge for WIFI or gym use or whatever. I care what my total cost is, don't really care how they get there. I have a problem with hotels charging resort fees on top of the room rate and some charging for WIFI. Not like you can stay there and not be in the resort. What about boatyards and auto shops with environmental fees or small parts charges? It just is what it is and I have the choice of accepting it or going somewhere else and I'm not going to penalize myself over a small nuisance charge.

Good point, but we do have the option of choosing. I look for the most value and convenience for the dollar, and nickel diming with pay showers, toilets, resort fees, WIFI, environment., shop rags, etc., drives me nuts so I often go elsewhere. The common uses should be built into the price.

The coins for a shower, would really be a PITA.

Not till they start charging you per sheet of TP.... :)

TP? Oh you mean toilet paper. It hasn't quite made it out this far West yet. I did have occasion to use some when I was back in Annapolis last fall. I must say, it is a remarkable invention.

Holy Cow. A dollar. And on the East Coast at that! I think it was back in May when there was a very active string with lots of comments about "Cheap Sailboaters".

Here's one solution: Go ahead and splurge on that 5 minute shower. (Trust me on this one.)
Just use the other half of that little bar of Days Inn soap from your 2004 'stay-cation'. (It's in the bottom of your Dopp kit - you know, the one gallon Glad zipper bag under the sink?). Then buy a 6-pack of Natural Light instead of the PBR and you'll be back in the black. At least until next Saturday night.

My marina supplies all that and mouthwash too! Pool and resort with free transportation included. (Yacht Harbor) Palm Coast, FL.

Wifey B: Mouthwash? I don't recall that. Did I miss out on something or not for transients? :rofl:

I still do not see why anybody that has a boat with a shower and a head, would ever even think of using public facilities.

Kevin

I have been amazed in the eastern Caribbean how many of the cruisers staying in a marina will use the marina facilities rather than shower on their own boat.
It is probably 3 out of 4 who use the marina.

Multiple reasons:

Water is metered while the shower is free, long free showers are taken

Many of the boats do not have electric water heaters - the only time they have hot water is when the engine runs and heats the waters (19 of 20 boats are sailboats)

The shower stall if there is a separate one is small and tight

In 18 year I can't remember taking a shower in a marina, but it likely occurred for one reason or another sometime. But then we have an adequate (for us) shower stall and an electric water heater,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom