Old 09-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #21

City: Lake Stevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarler View Post
Don’t give away all our secrets…
I didn't mention the Slithery Dee that swims between docks K and J and eats ........ but I have said too much!
trainermb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:33 AM   #22

City: Redmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainermb View Post
"please allow our dock staff will take care of your cart, Mr. Thwoppington"
Seriously contemplating changing my online name to "Mr. Thwoppington"
greg_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:58 AM   #23

City: Bozeman
@trainermb, you had me at available liveaboard slips and Slithery Dee... I'll definitely check out West Bay marina while the hunt for the boat continues. Thanks for the tip, will reach out to them soon!
One More Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:59 PM   #24

City: Wrangell
Vessel Name: Dreams
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
You must be an owner to liveaboard at Duwamish Yacht Club. You will want to read about the contaminated soil and ground lease issues before you buy in.

Also check water depth at low tide in any potential slip.

Just downstream on the Duwamish is South Park Marina. Not fancy, but it has friendly people, many liveaboards and is affordable. Same comment applies about water depth.
murofrelwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 01:24 PM   #25

City: Pullman
My boat checks most of your boxes. Glass hull, Garden design, built in Victoria: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...awler-8355814/
oldzink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:20 PM   #26
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Re: Pleasant Harbor. Currently the cellular reception in the harbor is "sketchy". For example, on shore in the restaurant/office building, Verizon and T-Mobile do not work very well at all. My wife is the new Marina Manager there and we have Verizon. She cannot make or usually receive calls in the office, although she can text. Walking out on the docks improves signal the further out you go. She has heard from staff that AT&T is the best provider for the harbor (we are considering switching).

As far as wifi there, it also leaves a lot to be desired. However, she has brought up to the owner the fact that many boaters need to have a good connection, especially in a semi-remote location like Pleasant Harbor. She is hopeful that will improve shortly.
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:53 PM   #27

City: Bozeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Re: Pleasant Harbor. Currently the cellular reception in the harbor is "sketchy". For example, on shore in the restaurant/office building, Verizon and T-Mobile do not work very well at all. My wife is the new Marina Manager there and we have Verizon. She cannot make or usually receive calls in the office, although she can text. Walking out on the docks improves signal the further out you go. She has heard from staff that AT&T is the best provider for the harbor (we are considering switching).

As far as wifi there, it also leaves a lot to be desired. However, she has brought up to the owner the fact that many boaters need to have a good connection, especially in a semi-remote location like Pleasant Harbor. She is hopeful that will improve shortly.
Outstanding, thank you so much for the ground intel.

Pleasant Harbor is currently my #1 choice for my ideal long term liveaboard harbor after reviewing many, I plan to be on the wait list ASAP though I'm still on the hunt for the boat, so obviously no picture or insurance yet.

I work remotely and having a steady constant cellular/internet connection is mandatory for me. On that note, I already have possession of my Starlink RV hardware, and I'm excited to figure out how I am going to rig it up for my boat. I've heard Starlink is quite reliable in the area now since the last few strings of satellite launches.

I'll transition one of my cell phones to AT&T for more reliable calls/texts so I'm all set when I'm up on the list.

I'll be in the Seattle area for a conference in the beginning of October and hope to swing by in person to check things out.

Thanks again for your input!
One More Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:32 AM   #28
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post

Darren, our marina recently switched to starlink service, vast improvement.
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:11 AM   #29

Stay away from wood boats. Look at Eagle tugs or Mainship for reasonable trawler prices. I have seen some nice but spartan trawlers sold in SEAk in the last few years. I have a boat moored at Thomas basin in KTN for the past 5 yrs. I also own a 50 ft OA moored on the Sea of Cortez in MX. You might want to consider MX when you retire.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:18 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDarlin View Post
Stay away from wood boats.

Interesting comment, totally devoid of any facts whatsoever. Are you implying that you shouldn't walk past a wood boat, perhaps because it will spontaneously combust or something? Perhaps they attract stray comets and lure people to their deaths? Is there a specific distance you must be from a wood boat in order for you to feel safe?
More information to support your statement above would be helpful for the OP to make an informed decision . . .

Have you ever even OWNED a wood boat? Just curious. . .