Seattle Boats Afloat Show Shoving Off From Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Tozz. A followup question to that info: What is the best area to anchor in to see the fireworks (crowding doesn't bother me too much) and how early does one need to be there to get a decent spot?

I do the anchoring ion Lake Union thing every 4th of July. I love it, but some folks call me a masochist. I do it in my beater sailboat, I don't think I'd do it in the nice tug as it's a bit of a mad house. MANY people who haven't a clue about anchoring, so it tends to be a bit bumper-boats.

Boat's start claiming their spots in the morning. By 4-ish, probably 60% of the boats are out there. By 7-ish things are pretty full. Not a bad seat in the house, but if you really want the prime show you'll want to be as far north as possible, near the fireworks barge. Harbor Patrol does a pretty good job of buoy-ing off the anchoring area so you know where you can and can't anchor.

We usually like to make a day of it. We load all the water toys on the boat, stake our claim mid-day, and spend the afternoon swimming, kayaking, paddle boarding, BBQing, enjoying beverages, socializing with other boats etc.

That socializing thing is important. Like I said, anchoring practices are all over the map. My strategy in dealing with clueless anchorers that are too close to my boat is to invite them to raft up. A couple sacrificial boats on either side of mine is pretty good protection! I'll never forget last year. There were two older men on a nice ~40' cruiser who spent the entire afternoon and evening running around the deck yelling at other boats that they thought were too close. Not the way to enjoy the 4th on the lake!

Maybe I'll see you out there next 4th!

The best way to see the Lake Union fireworks show is to go to Poulsbo on the 3rd and stay there.:socool:

We once went to Eagle Harbor and watched the Seattle show from there. Along with the Eagle Harbor show. Twofer... But after my wife was called a see you next Tuesday by an a-hole on a boat that showed up super late and just tried to shove it's way in, we never went back. The group rafted up next to us agreed with us that the late arrival needed to find another place or plan better. My wife had just asked him nicely/politely to not anchor so close to us, as we no longer had swing room should the breeze/current/tide change. It almost deteriorated into me kicking his ass...but he drove away quickly when I suggested we "talk". Punk.

Shhhhhhhh, Poulsbo on the 3rd is a secret. Don’t want all those crazy Lake Union boats showing up at Liberty bay for fireworks.

This is mostly correct. However, there are some big chunks of land under the water, on Lake Union, that are privately owned. There are also some grandfathered in development rights, deals that were made in the 50’s that waved current shore line restrictions.

According to DNR, if the land is covered by water it belongs to the State. However, as many things there are exceptions.

When the DNR was formed it claimed all land under water not already titled as belonging to the DNR. However, there is a considerable amount of titled underwater land in the State of Washington. It shows up in the strangest places and in the case of Lake Union, it is quite random.

I have it on good authority that there will be a Trawler Fest in Seattle (Bell Harbor Marina) in 2020. Dates yet to be confirmed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom