Old 12-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Roughing out plans for ICW trip south. Suggestions welcome!

I just posted this thread looking for recommendations for the Norfolk area yesterday. After several helpful posts, I thought maybe I should expand the scope of the thread, and open up my larger plan to your thoughts, recommendations, and suggestions.

So, based largely on previous posts in other threads by folks like Ranger42c, OCDiver, and countless others, these are the pins I have tacked into the chart for my first trip south:

Annapolis - Start point. Departing sometime in the first week of January (Theoretically)
Solomons - Anchor
Deltaville - Anchor
Norfolk - Waterside Marina, may take a day or two off here, depending on weather and how I feel.
Coinjock - Unknown marina, suggestions welcome
Alligator River - Anchor at Deep Point
Bellhaven - Not sure if I'll anchor or dock. Suggestions welcome.
Oriental - Unknown marina, suggestions welcome. No idea what's here yet, but I've heard good things about the town.
Beaufort - Most likely Homer Smith Docks if available. (Is this the one that's pronounced Beaufort, or is it Beaufort that's pronounced Beaufort? )
Mile Hammock Bay - I'd like to anchor here and hang out with the Ospreys, but based on mixed reviews about the holding, it may be weather dependent.)
Wrightsville Beach - Unknown Marina, suggestions welcome.
Southport - Unknown Marina, suggestions welcome. Southport marina looks like an option.
North Myrtle Beach - Unknown Marina, suggestions welcome. Thinking maybe Lightkeepers or Harborgate.
Georgetown - Not sure about this one. Worth a stop?
Charleston - Likely City Marina. Probably going to stick around here for several days. I've never been, but I'm looking forward to spending a little time here. I have friends in the area as well.
Beaufort - Not to be confused with Beaufort, which is pronounced Beaufort. I think I'll tie up at the free wall during the day if there's room, and anchor out overnight. Lady's Island marina is also a possibility if I decide to stay longer.
Savannah - Unknown Marina, suggestions welcome. It's likely I'll stick around here for a few days, maybe a week. I have good friends in the area here too, and It's another place I've never been and have always wanted to check out. Thunderbolt looks like a top contender here.

Beyond this point gets pretty hazy. I'll have to reevaluate when I get farther south. It all depends on how long I dilly dally along the way. I have a reservation for the Ft. Pierce rendezvous, but it looks like my company meeting will be happening around that time. I'd like to get down to St. Augustine, but who knows if I'll get that far this year.

I've never been to ANY of these places. I have little to no idea what I'll find there. If any of them are swirling toilet bowls of disappointment, feel free to say so! If there's somewhere in between these places that I really couldn't possibly miss, I'd like to hear it. Is there a sweet BBQ joint, or world's greatest ice cream in one of these places? Maybe the world's largest ball of twine? Let me know!

Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, I do have a couple of guide books, but I left them on the boat, lol. I've been scouring Active captain, TripAdvisor, and various other sources as well, and will continue to do so along the way.

Thanks gang!
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #2

City: Hilton Head Island
Look at Shelter Cove Marina. Located about 1/2 way from Beaufort to Savannah Our boat is docked there. Great shopping very close by excellent floating docks and full service.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Coinjock - Unknown marina, suggestions welcome
Only really one choice here, Coinjock Marina. There is another marina on the otherside of the canal, but last time I was there it didn't look too appealing.

Coinjock Marina has a nice restaurant and a bar. The amenities are decent. Not really anything else around. Place gets very busy in the spring and fall with repositioning cruises. January may be quiet, but I'd call and check if they are even open.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I lived in Oriental for several years so I can offer info on that town as well as others down the coast:

Oriental has 5-6 free docks right inside the harbor, protected and in the middle of the action. The town regulations are confusing: one set of docks has different regs than another but commensurate with the town's vibes, forget about them. You will be fine for two days at least.

The town has a half dozen or so restaurants and bars, ranging from the Tiki Bar within spitting distance of the free docks, the local coffee hang out The Bean to Silos up the road.

Beaufort, NC has nice City Marina (but for money), right in the middle of town with easy access to another half dozen bars and restaurants.

Wrightsville Beach has a nice anchorage that you get to by motoring a mile or so off of the ICW. One or two funky restaurants withing walking distance and a nice dinghy dock at a park a few hundred yards from the anchorage.

In Myrtle Beach I have stayed at the side tie slips at Barefoot Landing which has lots of shops and a few decent restaurants.

Georgetown is an interesting but crowded anchorage surrounded by marinas and a defunct steel mill and a paper mill across the inlet. Sounds horrible but there is a nice hang out bar restaurant just before the steel mill. Ask the locals if there is an empty mooring you can snag.

Consider anchoring in near wilderness conditions a few miles up the river.

Beaufort, SC- Tieing up for the day and anchoring out is exactly what I would do. Make sure you have DEET spray for the noseeums even in January.

Post your thoughts south of Savannah and we can comment on those as you get closer.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. W. You'll find what you find. The ONLY recommendation I can make is do NOT eat the, so called, "Prime Rib" at the Coinjock Marina. It's SO tough you can still see the whip marks on the flank and they want you to actually pay for this! The other food may be good but avoid the PR.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Only really one choice here, Coinjock Marina. There is another marina on the otherside of the canal, but last time I was there it didn't look too appealing.

Coinjock Marina has a nice restaurant and a bar. The amenities are decent. Not really anything else around. Place gets very busy in the spring and fall with repositioning cruises. January may be quiet, but I'd call and check if they are even open.
Coinjock Marina bought the marina on the other side this summer. They intend to bring it up to modern standards and to open a small store and coffee bar. The plan is to have a shuttle boat to give access to the original and excellent restaurant at Coinjock Marina. The food there is very good, but the bakery is absolutely amazing! The desserts at the restaurant are the best we have tasted in years and are surprisingly not too sweet. Usually dessert makes my teeth hurt with all the sugar, but this place was not like that at all. We have dined at fine restaurants in LA and around the world and have never had such desserts. This is truly the work of a pastry chef, not just a baker.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #7
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
When cruising we always have our projected anchorages (or marina) and a backup anchorage (or marina) in case weather or mechanical issues arise. It's nice to have an alternative spot already picked out instead of trying to navigate and look for a suitable spot at the same time. It looks like you've got a fun but maybe a little chilly trip ahead!
Old 12-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
When cruising we always have our projected anchorages (or marina) and a backup anchorage (or marina) in case weather or mechanical issues arise. It's nice to have an alternative spot already picked out instead of trying to navigate and look for a suitable spot at the same time. It looks like you've got a fun but maybe a little chilly trip ahead!
When you get down to Jacksonville, consider the free dock on Sister's Creek just before the St. John's River. Do not be frightened off by the warnings of swift current there. Just pull into a side tie into the current. Plenty of room to turn around coming or leaving. No power or water. Great stopping point if you are headed up the river to Ortega Landing.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Between weather and temperature, I would make this a delivery run till you get to South Carolina. You may miss some days because of weather, so push hard when the weather is with you. Don't know how many miles per day you feel comfortable with, but this is what I would do. I travel at 7 knots which is about 8 MPH. The distances are in land miles because I'm using AICW marker miles.

Starting in Norfolk
Stop at Top Rack or Atlantic Yacht Basin and fuel up (best prices)
Go to Coinjock marina about 50 miles. You have a lock with bridge and 2 other bridges to time as none of these are on demand.

Next day go to Pungo River anchorag about 76 miles. Anchorage is just after you finish the Alligator river Pungo river canal. Only one bridge which is on demand.

Next day go to Oriental, NC about 54 miles. No bridges. Eat at M&M. Short walk from city dock.

Next day go to Mile Hammock about 65 miles. One bridge (Onslow Beach) on the half hour I believe.

Next day go to Southport, NC about 66 miles. No bridges if you can clear 16' ( I can). Most have to wait for the Wrightsville beach bridge, on the hour I think. Stay at South Harbor Village Marina. Eat at Joseph's Italian Bistro and Chop House.

Next day go to South Myrtle beach, SC about 62 miles. One bridge (Socastee) on demand. Stay at Osprey Marina and fuel up here.

You're now in SC, so you can slow down a little and enjoy more moderate temperatures. Are these daily distances doable, or do you pansy Great Lakes boat captains need shorter days?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. OC. "...or do you pansy Great Lakes boat captains..." Oh my!

Old 12-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #11

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
"...or do you pansy Great Lakes boat captains..." Oh my!

This from "slow hand" Luke?
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. W. You'll find what you find. The ONLY recommendation I can make is do NOT eat the, so called, "Prime Rib" at the Coinjock Marina. It's SO tough you can still see the whip marks on the flank and they want you to actually pay for this! The other food may be good but avoid the PR.

The normal Ribeye steak was pretty good.

Heading south in January you won't have much competition for free docks and anchorages. Bad news is the frequent cold fronts can bring freezing weather and high winds.
Waterside Marina =
Beaufort NC -we stayed at a Beaufort Docks marina. One heck of a cross current if you are assigned an inside slip.

Miles Hammock has really soft bottom. No wind, no problems. When we got there after sunset, 16 other boats already anchored. Fortunately the landing craft were out somewhere else. Two boats came in after us and anchored in the marked channel.

Charleston - Stayed in Charleston Harbor Marina and resort. Pricey but they have grocery and downtown Charleston shuttles. Patriots Point is a short walk down the dock.

We anchored out more than 50% of the time.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olebird View Post

You will find that placing your computer pointer over this Emoticon in the "Smilies" directory will produce the definition "Sarcasm". I am confident Wayfarer knows I'm being Sarcastic, and knows I hold ore boat captains in the highest regard.

Certainly RTF knows I'm jesting.

Ted
Old 12-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olebird View Post

BTW, the movie was "Cool Hand Luke".

Ted
Old 12-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Between weather and temperature, I would make this a delivery run till you get to South Carolina. You may miss some days because of weather, so push hard when the weather is with you. Don't know how many miles per day you feel comfortable with, but this is what I would do. I travel at 7 knots which is about 8 MPH. The distances are in land miles because I'm using AICW marker miles.

Starting in Norfolk
Stop at Top Rack or Atlantic Yacht Basin and fuel up (best prices)
Go to Coinjock marina about 50 miles. You have a lock with bridge and 2 other bridges to time as none of these are on demand.

Next day go to Pungo River anchorag about 76 miles. Anchorage is just after you finish the Alligator river Pungo river canal. Only one bridge which is on demand.

Next day go to Oriental, NC about 54 miles. No bridges. Eat at M&M. Short walk from city dock.

Next day go to Mile Hammock about 65 miles. One bridge (Onslow Beach) on the half hour I believe.

Next day go to Southport, NC about 66 miles. No bridges if you can clear 16' ( I can). Most have to wait for the Wrightsville beach bridge, on the hour I think. Stay at South Harbor Village Marina. Eat at Joseph's Italian Bistro and Chop House.

Next day go to South Myrtle beach, SC about 62 miles. One bridge (Socastee) on demand. Stay at Osprey Marina and fuel up here.

You're now in SC, so you can slow down a little and enjoy more moderate temperatures. Are these daily distances doable, or do you pansy Great Lakes boat captains need shorter days?

Ted

HahahhahahahHhhahAhah... I mean, you’re not wrong... I am a delicate flower! Lol. I was using 50 miles as a rough daily target, but there’s every chance in the world that I’ll go mad with cold and shoot for more.

I s’pose the other benefit of stoking up ol’ Perkins and putting in longer days would be that I’d have some of these destinations to look forward to on the return trip.

Thanks for the intel Tedley! If any of these recommendations prove to be any less than completely satisfactory, I will graffiti them with your name. GOOD DAY SIR!
Old 12-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #16
Guru

Do you have a bus heater connected to the engine cooling Loop to heat the boat while underway?

Ted
Old 12-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post

Well that narrows things down quite nicely! Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

Haha, roger that. Should be no hardship at all. Never been a big prime rib guy anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Coinjock Marina bought the marina on the other side this summer. They intend to bring it up to modern standards and to open a small store and coffee bar. The plan is to have a shuttle boat to give access to the original and excellent restaurant at Coinjock Marina. The food there is very good, but the bakery is absolutely amazing! The desserts at the restaurant are the best we have tasted in years and are surprisingly not too sweet. Usually dessert makes my teeth hurt with all the sugar, but this place was not like that at all. We have dined at fine restaurants in LA and around the world and have never had such desserts. This is truly the work of a pastry chef, not just a baker.

It’ll be easy to avoid the prime rib, but the bakery will be tough. I do love a pastry... lol.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #18
Guru

City: Savannah, Ga.
Vessel Name: Indigo Star
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
When you get in the Savannah area, I recommend Thunderbolt Marina on the ICW just south of the Savannah River, (you'll need to stop and catch your breath after dodging all those huge tankers going in and out..) a nice day trip from Beaufort area
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:34 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post

I’m definitely looking forward to it! Some nice folks already very generously offered me an alternate place to park. Propane and sweaters will definitely be required, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
When you get down to Jacksonville, consider the free dock on Sister's Creek just before the St. John's River. Do not be frightened off by the warnings of swift current there. Just pull into a side tie into the current. Plenty of room to turn around coming or leaving. No power or water. Great stopping point if you are headed up the river to Ortega Landing.

I’ll definitely keep that in mind for the next round of planning, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I lived in Oriental for several years so I can offer info on that town as well as others down the coast:

Oriental has 5-6 free docks right inside the harbor, protected and in the middle of the action. The town regulations are confusing: one set of docks has different regs than another but commensurate with the town's vibes, forget about them. You will be fine for two days at least.

The town has a half dozen or so restaurants and bars, ranging from the Tiki Bar within spitting distance of the free docks, the local coffee hang out The Bean to Silos up the road.

Beaufort, NC has nice City Marina (but for money), right in the middle of town with easy access to another half dozen bars and restaurants.

Wrightsville Beach has a nice anchorage that you get to by motoring a mile or so off of the ICW. One or two funky restaurants withing walking distance and a nice dinghy dock at a park a few hundred yards from the anchorage.

In Myrtle Beach I have stayed at the side tie slips at Barefoot Landing which has lots of shops and a few decent restaurants.

Georgetown is an interesting but crowded anchorage surrounded by marinas and a defunct steel mill and a paper mill across the inlet. Sounds horrible but there is a nice hang out bar restaurant just before the steel mill. Ask the locals if there is an empty mooring you can snag.

Consider anchoring in near wilderness conditions a few miles up the river.

Beaufort, SC- Tieing up for the day and anchoring out is exactly what I would do. Make sure you have DEET spray for the noseeums even in January.

Post your thoughts south of Savannah and we can comment on those as you get closer.

David

Lots of good stuff here, thank you David. I didn’t realize that the Oriental town docks were free. Sounds like a good stop.
I’d forgotten about Barefoot Landing. I’ve heard that name come up many times, and that looks like a pretty ideal stop.
I think I may skip Georgetown and shoot for an anchorage farther along. Duck Creek anchorage maybe.
Thanks for the Deet tip. I don’t believe I’ve ever had the pleasure of dealing with noseeums. I sure am looking forward to that! Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
Look at Shelter Cove Marina. Located about 1/2 way from Beaufort to Savannah Our boat is docked there. Great shopping very close by excellent floating docks and full service.

Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
The normal Ribeye steak was pretty good.

Heading south in January you won't have much competition for free docks and anchorages. Bad news is the frequent cold fronts can bring freezing weather and high winds.
Waterside Marina =
Beaufort NC -we stayed at a Beaufort Docks marina. One heck of a cross current if you are assigned an inside slip.

Miles Hammock has really soft bottom. No wind, no problems. When we got there after sunset, 16 other boats already anchored. Fortunately the landing craft were out somewhere else. Two boats came in after us and anchored in the marked channel.

Charleston - Stayed in Charleston Harbor Marina and resort. Pricey but they have grocery and downtown Charleston shuttles. Patriots Point is a short walk down the dock.

We anchored out more than 50% of the time.

Hey, I forgot about Patriots Point. I think I remember going there once when I was a wee lad. Wasn’t the NS Savannah tied up there once upon a time?
Old 12-18-2019, 07:01 AM   #20
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

Lots of good stuff here, thank you David. I didn’t realize that the Oriental town docks were free. Sounds like a good stop.
?
if you need power for heat stay at the oriental inn and marina . the free docks have no power . there is a no running generator rule , but i have seen it done .

at Beaufort docks i only come in and leave at slack tide.

also in Coinjock try the egg-roll appetizer. i like the redneck egg-roll .

if you don't want to anchor around Bellhaven try river forest marina or bellhaven marina .
timb is offline   Reply With Quote