Questions for those with a slip.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
For those of us who have a slip for our boat, here are a few questions for y'all.... No real reason, just curious and finding something to do to kill time till spring.
1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats?
2. Do you put your boat bow-in or stern-in?
3. Re the question above, why?
4. Is your slip perpendicular to the main dock or is it an end/side tie?
5. What size is your slip?
6. How much extra room inside the slip do you have around your boat?
7. Does your slip come with water? Power? Pumpout station?
8. Do you pay for pumping out? How far from your slip to the pumpout?
Bored GFC

1. Is your slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats?

Share a slip with another (smaller boat).

Bow In.

It's easier, boarding gate is on the starboard side, so we tie starboard side to the finger pier and prop walk pulls the stern to starboard.

Perpendicular and only 16' from the ramp.

50'

Not much. Marina staff moved a smaller boat next to us to accommodate my 16+' beam.

Yes, water, 50 Amp power, slip-side pumpout.

Yes, it is $5. A bargain and I don't even have to be on the boat. The staff pumps the boat out while it is in the slip.

I just noticed that you had a Sea Ray. We temporarily had a new 50' Sea Ray sharing our slip and there was barely room for fenders between the boats.

Last edited:
1. Single slip
2. Bow first
3. Easier
4. Perpendicular
5. Something like 42 by 17
6. Lots. Boat is 36 by 13
7. Yes, yes, yes
8. Free if you do it yourself

Thanks for the photo opportunity. :)

img_193033_0_a0b8c4a1a832260e0a1c4d2e2c21d74f.jpg

Last edited:
1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats? I share my slip with my Sea Ray and my jet riverboat.
depends on the wind and current
3. Re the question above, why? Easier on the boat
End and side tie
5. What size is your slip? 84 feet
A whole slough
7. Does your slip come with water? Power? Pumpout station? I have water and electric, no pump out
No, States of Washington and Oregon offer it as a free service. 1/2 mile

For those of us who have a slip for our boat, here are a few questions for y'all.... No real reason, just curious and finding something to do to kill time till spring.
1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats? Single
2. Do you put your boat bow-in or stern-in? Bow first
3. Re the question above, why? Easier
4. Is your slip perpendicular to the main dock or is it an end/side tie? Perpendicular
5. What size is your slip? 45x15.5
6. How much extra room inside the slip do you have around your boat? About one foot on each side
7. Does your slip come with water? Power? Pumpout station? Water and Power
8. Do you pay for pumping out? How far from your slip to the pumpout? Free about 1,000 feet from slip (fuel dock)
Bored GFC

Why?

1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats?
Shared with one other boat

Stern in.
I don't know, but since I have to make something up, it protects inflatable from weather and theft.
Perpendicular.
44' Covered
When snug to the dock, there is about 4 feet between me and the other boat.
Water, power and pumpout station.
Yes, we pay for in-slip pumpout. If we use the pumpout station, it's on a parallel fairway on the other side of the dock.

Bored enough to answer.
Poach:)

1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats? Share but very wide. Five plus feet between boats.
2. Do you put your boat bow-in or stern-in? Stern
3. Re the question above, why? Marina mandate
4. Is your slip perpendicular to the main dock or is it an end/side tie? Perpendicular
5. What size is your slip? 60'
6. How much extra room inside the slip do you have around your boat? Lots
7. Does your slip come with water? Power? Pumpout station? Yes, all at the slip
8. Do you pay for pumping out? How far from your slip to the pumpout? Two free pumps outs at the slip/month then $15 per.
Bored GFC

1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats? double slip
2. Do you put your boat bow-in or stern-in? Bow in facing prevailing wind and the breakwater
3. Re the question above, why? The wind and the occasional storm that breaks against the opening and breakwater.
5. What size is your slip? 47' x 20'
6. How much extra room inside the slip do you have around your boat? 8' between boats
7. Does your slip come with water? Power? Pumpout station? 30A / 50A Power, water, internet. Free pump out cart at the head of the dock and free floating dock station in the marina.
8. Do you pay for pumping out? How far from your slip to the pumpout? NO, I have Microphor sanitation system. no pumpout needed.

Last edited:
Single boat-house.
Bow in.
Easier.
Perpendicular.
45' boat-house
2' walkway to port, 3' walkway to starboard, dinghy touches curtain and 2' in front of bow.
Water and 30amp power.
Yes, next marina (.25 mile away)

Shared with a smaller boat.

We switch it up seasonally.

Bow in is quicker (starboard side tie), and our salon door is on the starboard side.
Stern in- usually during the winter, as it's easier to simple exit the aft cabin thru the door, and setup onto the pier.

Perpendicular.

55'

About 3' between boats.

Water yes, power flat fee, pumpout no.

They come to me :D

1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats? - Single
2. Do you put your boat bow-in or stern-in? Bow – Due to boarding accommodations as well as attaching trailered runabout to rear before departing slip
3. Re the question above, why? – Read above
4. Is your slip perpendicular to the main dock or is it an end/side tie? - Perp
5. What size is your slip? - 40’ x 16’, covered
6. How much extra room inside the slip do you have around your boat? – Enough! lol
7. Does your slip come with water? Power? Pumpout station? Water free / Power per use / Pump out at fuel dock or by a boat-service while at or away from dock
8. Do you pay for pumping out? How far from your slip to the pumpout? – Read above

Single slip fully covered and enclosed

Bow

It won't fit stern first

Perp

30'

2 inches per side, none in front, 6 inches between swim step and curtain

Yes, metered/flat rate, no

Yes. Fuel dock, mile or less

Bored GFC
Me too :)

1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats? - Single
2. Do you put your boat bow-in or stern-in? Stern
3. Re the question above, why? fairway access boarding
4. Is your slip perpendicular to the main dock or is it an end/side tie? side
5. What size is your slip? - 45
6. How much extra room inside the slip do you have around your boat? – 4ft
7. Does your slip come with water? Power? Pumpout station? Water free / Power per use / Yes
8. Do you pay for pumping? – No

Single slip

Stern in most of the time so that I can play in dinghy and not necessarily take boat out. Love me some marina cruising:)

Prefer bow in if windy

Perp

50' covered

2ft each side

Yes, metered, at marina not dock

8. Do you pay for pumping out?

Free but you have to move boat. $15 for private person to cone pump out.

How far from your slip to the pumpout? Edge of marina a few blocks.

Attachments

• image-4185379659.jpg
    image-4185379659.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 88
1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats? End tie shared with one other boat.
2. Do you put your boat bow-in or stern-in? Not really applicable, but usually I angle the bow in for a starboard tie.
3. Re the question above, why? So I can just lean out from the starboard lower helm and grab a midship line I leave tied to the dock.
4. Is your slip perpendicular to the main dock or is it an end/side tie? T-end of a long main dock.
5. What size is your slip? I pay for 60' (for the view). According to the slip map I'm allowed a beam of 35'!
6. How much extra room inside the slip do you have around your boat? Plenty of room fore and aft. I would guess I have about 500' abeam of me to the other side of the ship canal...but lots of big boats, bridges and floating bridge sections tend to use that bit.
7. Does your slip come with water? Power? Pumpout station? Yes, Yes (100 KWH flat rate, then metered) and No.
8. Do you pay for pumping out? How far from your slip to the pumpout? Typically I use the free pump out at Fisherman's Terminal, maybe 1/4 mile away. It's an easy tie-up and usually vacant. I have occasionally hailed one of the passing pump-out boats ($20-25) but I prefer being able to do a couple of rinses when I do it myself.
Bored GFC Me too!

Double slip, Covered slip, but mine is the only boat there.

img_193128_0_c3e770198444d57b9d86e9c851680008.jpg

Bow In

It's easier and with a cockpit and double aft doors, the best view is aft. Just behind me is USCG Station Vallejo, so I enjoy watching their comings and goings.

img_193128_1_13f0b0ec3c5f37a975572c58c1488744.jpg

Perpendicular

approx 36 ft...did I mention it's a covered slip?

with the adjacent slip empty, I have about 15-18 ft to stbd.

Free water and free power at the slip!

Free pumpout at the fuel dock, a few hundred feet away.

Last edited:
good god you are bored!

1 double
2. stern
3. its better
4. perpendicular
5. 45x16
6. 1' each side, fills length
7. yup,yup,yup
8. if I had to pay I would just cruise close to Victoria and pump.. they still dump their crap.. I should be able too also!

I must be bored too!

HOLLYWOOD

1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats? Side tie, boats behind and fwd

2. Do you put your boat bow-in or stern-in? Side tie on main walkway. Some time alternate which side.

3. Re the question above, why? Because I can. Do prefer stbd tie to keep sun off front windows. Back door & wdw protected by cockpit cover. N & S

4. Is your slip perpendicular to the main dock or is it an end/side tie? Parallel to main walkway/dock

5. What size is your slip? 40' boat overall 37'

6. How much extra room inside the slip do you have around your boat? The aisleway between two walkways ~35'

7. Does your slip come with water? Power? Pumpout station? yes 15A no, but will bring portable pumpout

8. Do you pay for pumping out? How far from your slip to the pumpout? not yet.

equally bored

1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats? Two boats in slip
2. Do you put your boat bow-in or stern-in? bow in
3. Re the question above, why? privacy when we stay in the harbor
4. Is your slip perpendicular to the main dock or is it an end/side tie? perpendicular
5. What size is your slip? 50'
6. How much extra room inside the slip do you have around your boat? boat is longer than the slip. several feet between two 15' beam boats
7. Does your slip come with water? Power? Pumpout station? water, 30 amp 120V 50 amp 120/240V
8. Do you pay for pumping out? How far from your slip to the pumpout? dont ever pumpout. have a USCG approved waste processing system.

1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats? Two boats in slip
2. Do you put your boat bow-in or stern-in? bow in
3. Re the question above, why? Privacy, Protection from prevailing winds, Easier to dock
4. Is your slip perpendicular to the main dock or is it an end/side tie? perpendicular
5. What size is your slip? 30'
6. How much extra room inside the slip do you have around your boat? boat is longer than the slip. 6 feet between two boats
7. Does your slip come with water? Power? Pumpout station? Free power and water
8. Do you pay for pumping out? How far from your slip to the pumpout? No pumpout available at marina

I guess it's only fair that I post my stats.....

1. Is you slip a single-boat slip or do you share the slip with one or more boats? Single slip
2. Do you put your boat bow-in or stern-in? Stern in all the time.
3. Re the question above, why? I tried going bow in one time but the bow pulpit and anchor are so long, to keep them from hanging over the dock I had to stay back so far I couldn't get on the swim platform. Also, backing in makes hooking up power easier, and that's a good thing.
5. What size is your slip? 20' x 60' Covered in a marina that's only about 5 years old.
6. How much extra room inside the slip do you have around your boat? The boat is about 14' wide at the beam so there's plenty of room. Almost too much.
7. Does your slip come with water? Power? Pumpout station? Comes with water on the dock. I pay for metered power, 30A 240V & 50A 240V.
8. Do you pay for pumping out? How far from your slip to the pumpout? The pumpout is free, and it's about 100 yards from my slip.

Back
Top Bottom