Question for the Minneapolis Folk.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WayneDana2

Vessel Name
Serendipity
Vessel Make
1977 37' Puget Trawler
Heyya,
We are trying to figure a way to get our boat from the PNW to anywhere on the Mississippi or Missouri river systems. Minneapolis might be a good place to have it trucked to but I am having problems navigating Google as to who might have the travel lift to get it off the truck and into the river.

Any of you have suggestions as to who to use for that?

Or maybe Sioux City? LOL, now I am asking way too much here.

Wayne

The Minneapolis area has several locations that will splash you. The best answer depends on what you want to do once you're in the water.

If it's just splash and go (south) then cheaper is best. But if you want to stay and play here, some are clearly better than others.

Our boat is in Bayfield but we live in Minneapolis. I'm happy to give you any information you need.
BD

Minnesota Marinas with lifts

Having lived in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area for a number of years and boated on the Mississippi and St Croix Rivers, the best marinas to meet your need are on the St Croix River, a major tributary to the Mississippi. . It is the boarder water between Minnesota and Wisconsin about 10 miles east of St. Paul. If you stay on the Minnesota side of the river, starting in Stillwater you have Sunny Side Marina. South a few miles you have Bay Port Marina. A few miles south of I94 is Afton Marina. All those mentioned have travel lifts on premise.

I know nothing about cruising the Missouri River but I believe the upper most navigation is Sioux City. Many more points of interest on the Mississippi south to St. Louis.

Use google earth starting at Stillwater Minnesota and view all the marina along the St. Croix.

Hope this gives you some insights.

You don't need a travel lift to get from truck to water. A mobile crane can pick it off the truck and drop it in the river at many of the river ports.

Unless the mobile crane operator is experienced in lifting boats I would stay with a travel lift.

To lift a boat with a crane requires a sling perhaps fifty feet long to avoid crushing the boat. There are numerous "Failed Lifts" featured on You Tube. If you don't want to be one of them, better stick with the experienced travel Lift operator.

pete

I would suggest using Active Captain to research Marinas instead of Google. And for info on trucking a boat into the Minnesota area, call Cross Country Boat Transport, https://www.crosscountryboat.com/ They will have all the updated info on routes, marinas that can handle the lift, etc.

As BD mentioned, some of us out here boat on Lake Superior. Depending on your plans, you may want to consider joining us on the Greatest Lake in the World!!!

Unless the mobile crane operator is experienced in lifting boats I would stay with a travel lift.

To lift a boat with a crane requires a sling perhaps fifty feet long to avoid crushing the boat. There are numerous "Failed Lifts" featured on You Tube. If you don't want to be one of them, better stick with the experienced travel Lift operator.

pete

I thought of cranes but yeah, I've seen the Youtube vids too.

I would suggest using Active Captain to research Marinas instead of Google. And for info on trucking a boat into the Minnesota area, call Cross Country Boat Transport, https://www.crosscountryboat.com/ They will have all the updated info on routes, marinas that can handle the lift, etc.

As BD mentioned, some of us out here boat on Lake Superior. Depending on your plans, you may want to consider joining us on the Greatest Lake in the World!!!

I don't know why I didn't think about Active Captain! I use it all the time here. Thanks. :)

If we were doing this in May, I would for sure drop in Duluth and cruise the Lakes. This will be September and just enough time to beat feet down the river before winter sets in.

The whole idea is to get to Florida without paying $30,000 and enjoying some river along the way.

Last edited:
Thank you all for replying. I think I have some direction on where to start looking now.
Cheers All!

If we were doing this in May, I would for sure drop in Duluth and cruise the Lakes. This will be September and just enough time to beat feet down the river before winter sets in.

Ummm. The Illinois River lock system is closed until end of October.

Oh never mind. You're going the Mississippi. No problem there.

I thought of cranes but yeah, I've seen the Youtube vids too.
Use spreader bars. It's not hard to do it properly and safely. Just know where the slings go. Lots of clubs and marinas around my home waters launch and haul with cranes.

Okay, I think we have this locked in. The suggestion to contact CrossCountry boat was right on. They got right back to me with a better than expected price and they said there are lots of marinas they use there in Minneapolis.

Thank you all!

We used Cross Country to move our boat from Lake Superior to the St. Croix. They were great to work with!

Now I’m looking to use them again to move it back, or sell and get another boat. And that.....will be the subject of a future post!

Keep us informed and we can stop by and give you a proper TF send off!

Google and a Phone should get you what you need.

Hidden Harbor Marina: They are on the river. They winterize boats up to 70 feet and offer winter storage. They don't specifically say they have a lift, but I would bet that they do. Their website has a phone number.

Twin City Marina: They are on the river. Their web page shows a 50 ton travel lift.

Back
Top Bottom