Old 01-11-2015, 01:30 AM   #1

City: Kalamazoo
question on boat storage

This may be a strange idea but coming from inland lakes and reservoir fishing I have in the past stored certain boats here or there to be at the ready when I NEEDED the boat for a paticular fishing trip.

OK WHAT I AM GETTING AT IS THIS.............
Not knowing anything at all really about the florida and surrounding area's I thought I would get some input on boat storage.

My idea and question is this.......finding a decent boat around the 20 foot range for fishing. Now I do NOT want to tow this boat with me all year especially being up north and on the loop or semi looping anyway. I can use the tender then or the main boat when I have the need to fish.....

We think we may simply winter in the florida and bahama's and around the louisiana area AND THIS is when I will want a BIGGER fishing boat and will want to use it at least 4 months out of the year.......

With all this said..............am I out of my mind thinking like this or is there trust worthy and honest safe places to store a boat the 8 months out of the year....... In this way.....I do not have to deal with putting a larger tender on the bow and if we decide to stay down that way and only venture up north say as far as the Carolina's then I would just keep the boat on the hip as they say.............

Any thoughts on this ?????
Thanks Every one.......
Jim
Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:52 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
In a word, boatel. Very common in most major cities with boating to find marinas that have buildings to dry stack store boats. Simply remove the gas, fog the motor, remove electonics and fishing gear, and leave it there till you return. Not positive, but if your boat is on a trailer, I think they can store the boat on the trailer on the rack. Just make sure it's stored in the building. As with marinas, expect prices too very widely depending on location. I would also keep insurance on it year round.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I would also keep insurance on it year round.
You should expect insurance to be somewhat higher than on the Great Lakes due to named storms although there may be discounts for dry storage.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Here's a link for a dry storage shed in JAX.

Lakeshore Dry Storage - Home

Boat Storage Includes:
  • Unlimited In & Out Valet Service
  • We will fill up your tank with our premium ethanol free gasoline upon request
  • Take your boat cover off if requestedWhen you're through for the day we'll rinse your vessel and store it safely until ready to use it again.
    1. Our staff will also flush the engine and put your cover back on upon request
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #5

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
Calusa Jack's Marina - Home has lots of stored boats It's near Fort Myers. I have no connection just spent a night and Joe is a real nice manager
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
Guru

City: gulf coast
Agree, enclosed high and dry storage facilities are located everywhere.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Reading the part about dragging a tender alongside for extended periods, you will have gelcoat abrasion and scarring. There is NO type of fendering to be found to allow this. You WILL have hull abrasion. This is why tenders are either hoisted aboard or towed on a long hawser (tow line).
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Jim I will only offer this. If a boat storage cannot be trusted to store your boat for 8 months, they cannot be trusted to store your boat at all IMO.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Reading the part about dragging a tender alongside for extended periods, you will have gelcoat abrasion and scarring. There is NO type of fendering to be found to allow this. You WILL have hull abrasion. This is why tenders are either hoisted aboard or towed on a long hawser (tow line).

We only put the boat on the hip when coming into a Marina. Otherwise we have towing bridle made for when we're towing it. Like Cappy said its a bad idea to try and tow it in the hip.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421027124.046013.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	36274
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421027198.861928.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	36275
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #10

Thank You Everyone,
This confirms for me that I have solved this issue ahead of time and I do NOT have to run right out and try and find the perfect fishing / tender to fit the boat and can just leave what is already there alone and enjoy it.

OBTW.........I just said tow on the hip as in a general term..........I would only tow with a suitible line set up.......Thanks for making sure I was not going to do something foolish.....
JIm
Old 01-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Larry M;297829]Here's a link for a dry storage shed in JAX.

Larry M,
Thank you for the link !! Some operation they got going on there. I like it !!
Now if I could get some people around here to put things where they belong as well as these folks do with the boats I will have it made in the shade !

Jim
Old 10-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Model: Glacier Bay 2770
N4712. Love that tender you are towing. What is it? I am shopping around right now for something like that.
Mainship400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #13
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
question on boat storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainship400 View Post
N4712. Love that tender you are towing. What is it? I am shopping around right now for something like that.

Thanks. Its a Dusky 17+ the + stands for the motor bracket which was added to the hull. Its available with or without the bracket. I love the boat.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote