Point Judith Anchorages?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello again,

Very glad to be up North as Ian is doing all the damage as seen by everyone but also very saddened to see all the damage.

Our home port of Hilton Head seems to be close to his next target.

We are exploring the beautiful Narragansett Bay area for a few days, as suggested by my fellow Trawler Forum Members, and as we depart next Monday I was thinking of fueling up at Galilee Fuel station and then staying overnight there in Point Judith for an early departure.

Area looks pretty skinny, we only need about 5 feet.

Any suggestions for a good anchorage spot or a mooring ball maybe?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jeff
M/V Indigo Star
2006 Mainship 400

Came thru Point Judith safe harbor of refuge today. It was very calm inside the breakwater. We’re anchored at Fishers Island for the night. Also seems like a great anchorage. Off to Milford Town docks or more likely Port Washington tomorrow to ride out Ian as it approaches this area. We just completed the DownEast Loop after leaving Wilmington, NC at end of April.

Depending on conditions, anchoring within the PJHR breakwater can be rolly - at least that was my experience. Holding was okay, though. As a basic overnight stop, it got the job done. Didn't go ashore.

Harbor of refuge is ok but not optimal. Better to go inside. Leave the red and green channel marker to starboard. (Ferry and commercial fishing boats will leave to port.) Fuel will be on you left. Continue on to Plato island anchorage. Follow the channel up to #24 and come around Gardner island into the anchorage. Very protected and peaceful. The current can be strong but manageable coming through the cut at the breakwater.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom