PNW storage 50+ boat recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
I plan to travel overseas on a yearly bases in the future. Each trip will take several months or longer. I’d like store my boat on dry (36 tons) and put it back into the water for the months I am back to Seattle. I am very flexible on the storage locations. Affordability and an adequate lift is my concern.
What experience you have in Puget Sound and do you recommend any particular storage facility?
Thanks.

Thanks for starting this thread. I plan on doing the same thing. I'm 90 tons and I havn't been able to find the combination of storage plus the proper lift. The places that could do it will only store it for a short period during the winter months.

There are several dry storage yards in Anacortes. There is one, I think it's pacific marine center, that has a big travel lift. I've seen some big boats hauled there. Port Towsend hauls big stuff too. I know one boat at 85 ft and 130 tons hauls there. Not sure about storage but some of those boats have been there a long time. Port Angeles may be another option.

Thanks for starting this thread. I plan on doing the same thing. I'm 90 tons and I havn't been able to find the combination of storage plus the proper lift. The places that could do it will only store it for a short period during the winter months.

What places have you checked so far?

What places have you checked so far?

As stated above-I'm pretty sure it was Pacific Marine center. At 90 tons, I was at the limit of his trailer. He uses inflatable bags on a trailer to haul out. You would be fine and as I recall, his storage rates were reasonable. I tried Bellingham, but they didn't have long term storage. I don't recall the other locations as they could not haul me. Port Townsend was next on my list. I havn't looked south of Seattle, as I wanted a location north.

Edit: Actually the name is North Harbor diesel and yacht service.

Last edited:
North Harbor Diesel generally uses a hydraulic lift. Pacific Marine Center has a large travel lift and plenty of storage space. Cap Sante Marine (now Seattle Yacht Service?) has a travel lift, but might be too small for a large trawler. Anacortes has become the dry storage center around there - tons of space.

Just looked at their website they call themselves both Pacificarine Center and Pacific Marine Sales. They handle bosts to 120 ft. I recall seeing a substantial travel lift in use there.

https://www.pacificmarinesales.com/service-storage/

I’ve been there years ago looking at a boat to consider. Large place and secure. I think we have a winner, unless there is something more affordable? I wonder if the inflation has affected their prices. Or will it?

We use North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes. They state they can manage up to 45T and 65'. Our experience with them has been fairly positive. They're quick to arrange a launch and retrieve which we do several times a year.

We use North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes. They state they can manage up to 45T and 65'. Our experience with them has been fairly positive. They're quick to arrange a launch and retrieve which we do several times a year.

How much does it cost you to maintain this schedule?

You might try La Conner Maritime Services. Their web site says they can haul 110 tons.

You could also try Latitude Marine Services in La Conner. I don't know their capacity but they have what appears to be a large lift. They're a little out of the way, so rates may be less than other places.

I am still curious, what a yearly budget would be these days for storage and splash once a year?
Yards charge me over 1K just for the round trip.
Plus, do you pay storage for the months, while you are sailing, or just renew your storage deal each year?
Is there anyone with real life experience here?

On a boat that size I would guess the cost of the "In/Out" on a semi monthly basis would be prohibitive. Plus many yards are not thrilled about having power run to an unattended boat in storage. (Refrigerator, dehumidifier, etc.)

I personally don't like the idea of a boat sitting unattended for a month or more at a time while the owner is out of the country. Maybe a college kid or a retired person would "boat sit" either for free or a modest sum. I would.

pete

But this is exactly what's offered by the dry storage yards here in Anacortes. Each spot has an electrical stanchion, just like your marina, so you can keep power to your boat. If you want to use your boat you call them up with your launch and haul dates. The yards are fenced and secure and I'm sure that if you're nervous there are boat watch services available to have someone check on your boat.
Bigger question, for me anyway, is why the op hasn't just called one of these places and gotten a quote on rates. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

On a boat that size I would guess the cost of the "In/Out" on a semi monthly basis would be prohibitive. Plus many yards are not thrilled about having power run to an unattended boat in storage. (Refrigerator, dehumidifier, etc.)

I personally don't like the idea of a boat sitting unattended for a month or more at a time while the owner is out of the country. Maybe a college kid or a retired person would "boat sit" either for free or a modest sum. I would.

pete

Bigger question, for me anyway, is why the op hasn't just called one of these places and gotten a quote on rates. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Valid question. I think I am just lazy.
At one point I will, it is not urgent, since it will not be needed for other two years.

On a boat that size I would guess the cost of the "In/Out" on a semi monthly basis would be prohibitive. Plus many yards are not thrilled about having power run to an unattended boat in storage. (Refrigerator,
pete

Semi monthly?
I have never said that.
6-9 month on land, 3-6 months on water. That is my plan.
I do not plan to hookup anything during dry storage. The dehumidifier can run from my batteries, which can be charged by my solar panels. Fridges will be empty, everything else winterized.
Security will be important, but that is given at the Anacortes location. Even a wifi router with cameras can be part of the plan.

So, I had to satisfy my own curiosity so I stopped by Pacific Marine Center today. They are probably the only yard in Anacortes that'd haul 50ft and 30 tons.
It goes like this.
Monthly storage $7.50/ft = $375
Initial haulout $250
Pressure wash $4.50/ft = $225 and is required
Blocking $210 also is required
Enviro $110
There is a monthly Power maintenance fee $10 + whatever PUD charges for what you use.
Your initial launch is free. After that it is $125 each way.
Add sales tax, of course.
These prices are assuming it can be hauled with their Sealift. The weight is not a problem but if there are protuberances that get in the way it'd have to go on their Travelift at, I'm assuming steeper charges.

Thanks for sharing. Great info.
I thought it would be less. Inflation is in the works, I guess.
Besides not having barnacles and zinc change, I do not see much benefit to store it dry. Unless you are paying $20 per foot in Seattle marinas.

I might just go back to my original idea and take the boat down south of the border to store it. Being retired already, I am not locked into the PNW.

Back
Top Bottom