Plastic "fencing" ever used for dock handrails ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
In a comfortable height of course. Wonder if it would soon turn green with mildew on salt water creek or other issues ? Would it last longer than they typical pressure treated pine used ?

some example here-

Vinyl Fencing Photos | Vinyl Gates Pictures | Gallery

I guess that even if it getting some mildew or mold it would be easy to cleanup with a high pressure washer.

I have wondered this before as well. The price is right and easy to replace if necessary. Not sure about secure installation.
These are used in yards here in SoCal along the coast and seem to have a long lifespan and clean up well with soap and water.
I will be curious what others think?

Recycled plastic makes good fendering and if you wish to shape it, it can be moulded with a heat gun.

In a comfortable height of course. Wonder if it would soon turn green with mildew on salt water creek or other issues ? Would it last longer than they typical pressure treated pine used ?

some example here-

Vinyl Fencing Photos | Vinyl Gates Pictures | Gallery

I may have seen this but it's not common where I boat. My suggestion is to contact the vendor or manufacturer for recommendations.

The Trex Deck and similar products I've used seem much more limber than wood. My deck projects needed joists spaced closer together than a wood deck would need. I suspect it would sag when spread across two upright stanchions spaced even 2 feet across. If there was some underlying support, it might work.

Some stuff I have been looking at seems to have some anti mildew treatment in it.

Check around...many on the water decks and some floating docks around here have the pvc railings.

As Wes said, contact the vendor regarding the effect of salt water. I'd go for anything other than wood, that won't be destroyed by salt water. I'm for composites and concrete. We have very little wood.

Back
Top Bottom